Interesting article I found on how to get good deals on TVs at Best Buy and Circuit City

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
So how do you get the best deal possible on a TV? Do exactly as I write below and it WILL work;

The managers are graded above all things in two areas which they will always focus on; extended warranty and accessory sales.
In the case of home theater (HDTV, etc) accessories that are by far the highest focus are Monster products. For those who are scratching their heads, Monster products are primarily expensive (overpriced) cables and (useless) noise filtering surge protectors. A customer purchasing these products and an extended warranty will get a a managers attention very quickly.

Here is the general idea of how to utilize this knowledge to steal a deal -- if you want the 42A10 then let them sell you on a high-end surge protector ($200-400), a couple hundred dollars in cables and a service plan. DO NOT deviate on the items to package with the TV that I just listed; these are vital to getting them to deal as they are very high margin. Once you say you want to buy all this stuff ask for a 'package discount'. Push them as low as you can for the [ackage deal - they WILL NOT want to walk this sale as it makes them look like a hero.
Once you have gotten them as low as you can on the total price the magic will happen - they will write up the sale leaving prices full retail on the accessories and warranty and take the reduction on the TV, even possibly dropping below cost on this. The reason is they are graded by percentage of sales of this stuff based on dollars - they will drop the cost of only the TV.
Can you guess the rest? Buy it all and wait a few days, then return to the store and refund everything but the TV. DO NOT let them tell you to call an 800 # to refund the warranty - they may try that one but policy is to return it in-store for the first 30 days. They will put up a fight on this and may threaten to increase the cost of the TV but hold your ground. If their corporate got wind of them working deals to raise accessory and warranty numbers they would be fired. If you must, threaten a phone call - they will run scared. If you want it even smoother do the return at another location.

This strategy can be utilzed in most of their departments - if you need to know the key accessories for appliances, computers, car audio, etc let me know.
I wont wish you luck, it will simply work. If you have any problems though just drop me a line and I'll help all I can...

jorak

Oct 9, 1999
You're getting a discount when you have no intention of purchasing the items that led to the discount. And you don't see anything wrong with that?

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by: leftyman
Originally posted by: Arkitech
does this not seem right?

hmm I don't know, its not like you're stealing anything.

i would feel like im stealing if i did this

Would you feel like the store is stealing if they purposely sold you certain products that they marked up 300-500% over what they payed for them?

jorak

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: iamwiz82

:confused:

Do you feel like you are stealing if you pay under sticker for a car?

How is that in any way related to the topic here? Maybe if you purchased a car after agreeing to stain guard, pin striping, upgraded rims, then tried to take it all back, it'd be a valid comparison.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Perhaps less than ethical, but I don't think it's illegal. It would be WAY too much hassle for me, though.

leftyman

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000

Would you feel like the store is stealing if they purposely sold you certain products that they marked up 300-500% over what they payed for them?

their price is their price, im not forced to buy that particular item or shop at that store. you dont understand that?

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: jorak

How is that in any way related to the topic here? Maybe if you purchased a car after agreeing to stain guard, pin striping, upgraded rims, then tried to take it all back, it'd be a valid comparison.

You didn't purchase the TV yet, though. You only agreed to buy everything. There was never a completed transaction with a final price.

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
You're getting a discount when you have no intention of purchasing the items that led to the discount. And you don't see anything wrong with that?

hmm kind of like how you buy an extended warranty and the stores tries to jerk you around when you bring in a damaged product

leftyman

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000

You didn't purchase the TV yet, though. You only agreed to buy everything. There was never a completed transaction with a final price.

so your word means nothing than?

yobarman

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
Screw it, Best Buy has been pushing people around long enough with their crappy warranties, might as well 5. PROFIT!

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

so your word means nothing than?

Do you go to Best Buy saying "I'd like this TV for the sticker price" or do you go saying "I'd like this TV"? The sales people NEVER say anything about price until the final bill comes out.

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000

their price is their price, im not forced to buy that particular item or shop at that store. you dont understand that?

If there were something wrong with that then you would'nt be able to return the items.

Besides I think its unethical to rape customers by marking inexpensive items up to obscene prices. It does'nt matter that you don't have to shop there, it's the principle of the matter.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000

so, because the store has morally questionable practices, i should just match their morals?

the best response is to just not shop there if you think what they are doing is morally questionable.

leftyman

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
Originally posted by: yobarman
Screw it, Best Buy has been pushing people around long enough with their crappy warranties, might as well 5. PROFIT!

than dont shop there

Zanix

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Jzero
Perhaps less than ethical, but I don't think it's illegal. It would be WAY too much hassle for me, though.

Win.

Companies have less than ethical practices that arn't illegal as well.

What goes around come around.

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold

so, because the store has morally questionable practices, i should just match their morals?

the best response is to just not shop there if you think what they are doing is morally questionable.

do unto others :Q