Interesting article about cops

friedpie

Oct 1, 2002

Freeze or I'll shoot

In 1998 white officers were 87 percent of the Nation's 641,208 police and accounted for 82 percent of justifiable homicides by police. Black officers were 11 percent of the Nation's police and accounted for 17 percent of all justifiable homicides.

Looks like black cops kill at a higher rate than their % of the force.

The black-officer-kills-black-felon rate was 32 per 100,000 black officers in 1998, which is higher than the white-officer-kills-black-felon rate of 14 per 100,000 white officers.

Wow, 32 versus 14. So it's not just white cops killing black felons. Why doesn't the news ever report this? Oh wait, they want all white people to feel guilty.

The white-officer-kills-white-felon rate was 28 per 100,000 white officers in 1998, which is higher than the black-officer-kills-white-felon rate of 11 per 100,000 black officers.

28 is lower than 32 but 11 is lower than 14.

Young black males murdered police officers at a rate almost 6 times that of young white males. From 1980 to 1998, young black males made up about 1 percent of the U.S. population but 21 percent of felons who murdered a police officer young white males were 8 percent of the population but 20 percent of the murderers of law enforcement officers.

I don't know what this means because Dan Rather won't tell me.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
What's your point? Fact is it doesn't matter who's behind the badge. Black or white, the officer may view blacks the same. Believe it or not, cops generalize too.

As for the young white male/young black male, both group are more likely to run into the law than other races. The young black male, being poorer and getting the blunt of the bias that cops dole out, may well be up there in terms of percentages, despite his low population total. In other words, he's most likely to be in the hot spots than asians, latinos, or whites.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
You also have to take into consideration the number of towns that have little to no diversity in their population. I mean, if a large percentage of the black officers are working in places like Chicago, Boston, New York or other very large cities, of course the nubmers will be off

Feb 24, 2001
And a lot of places staff officer's beats to conform with the area. It is less tense to have black officers patrolling black neighborhoods than it is to have whites do it. Obvious reasons. And if that area is rough, you're going to have more shootings.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Many times, the black officers will work in a high consentration black neighborhoods to reduce racial tension.

Stats will probably show that these area have a higher crime rate.

Inference should then be drawn that the black officers will have a better chance of being involved.

TapTap

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper
Many times, the black officers will work in a high consentration black neighborhoods to reduce racial tension.

Stats will probably show that these area have a higher crime rate.

Inference should then be drawn that the black officers will have a better chance of being involved.

Bingo, you hit it on the head. If you are assigned to patrol an area with a predominantly large % of a certain race, you stats will be skewed towards that race. It is simple logic: if your area is 80% Hispanic, like some areas in my town Orlando, your stats could reflect an abnormally high % of your arrests are Hispanic. Doesnt make me a racist, just saddled with patrolling an area with a high conCENtration of a certain race.
Thats why PO's being sued (Black,White and increasingly Hispanic) for racial discrimination by "Vulture" lawyers like Cochran, and politicians that "race-bait" like Rev. "Did Tawanna say That?" Sharpton is increasing.
Typical spin job: His arrest % of blacks is 80% vs other races (so spin) he must be a racist.
Sad, alarming but oh sooo typical :disgust: