Interesting anecdote about "religious folk".

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
At one time she handled calls from Barnes & Noble customers. “A lot of cursing, a lot of crying — crying — believe it or not. I’ve been called every name in the book. And I do mean from A to Z. Everything in between. I’ve been hung up on, threatened, told I’m going to lose my job. I had one woman tell me, ‘I hope you have a miserable day.’ You can’t laugh. I can’t laugh. I’m thinking to myself, ‘You ordered the Bible. You’re some Christian person?’ She’d ordered a Bible! Those are the worst! Those are the worst hypocrites! They scream, curse, yell, carry on, threaten. They’re the worst.”

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
Perhaps this should be taken as a reminder that in general people find it much easier to espouse beliefs than to actually follow them.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
The general behavior of religious are a mere manifestation of more general tendencies endemic to the human race. The difference is that since religious profess following a higher standard, it naturally inflames others when it is perceived the standard is broken.

If there is one thing religion impress on the world, it is that people are indeed creatures of worship and enforcers of creeds. Just that the sacred cows can vary depending on the tribe.

Nov 29, 2006
Shocking that religious folks would be huge hypocrites. Also shocking most are conservative who are also huge hypocrites.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
cd1_1800x1800.jpg

Reactions: pcgeek11

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Far left Marxists deserve anger and ire towards them. Their behavior is fanaticism without a "God" but rather some other holy principle.
Perhaps, but how many "far-left Marxists" does someone meet in an average year?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
She thinks that's bad?

She should hear my anecdotes about far left marxist cunts.

In my experience, the far-left (the real far left, not what so many Americans seem to consider 'far left') make a fetish of hardness and ruthlessness. Softness and sentimentality is a 'sin' in that culture.
In the US though, I think it's a safe bet that Christians outnumber far-leftists - by a considerable margin.

SamQuint

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2010
"believe it or not. I’ve been called every name in the book"

Maybe your not so good at customer service?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Also, if someone describes themselves as a "Marxist" they aren't far-left.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Hm, have you done phone customer service? Some of these people are pretty irate, and I think it's easier to dehumanize someone when they're just a voice on the other end of the phone.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
The sad reality is that we live in a morally bankrupt country where many people are taught that backing down when they don't get what they want is a sign of weakness, and being aggressive and threatening is a sign of strength. This type of behavior is especially evident in the Bible belt so I am not surprised that the rep has had bad experience with Christians. This type of behavior is a stain on Christians everywhere.

Nov 8, 2012

People often times have unrealistic expectations. Given, sometimes whoever did the "sales" originally might have not been entirely truthful might be the one to blame in some cases, but ultimately the CS person doesn't always have that much leverage or can fix every problem.

Nov 8, 2012
The sad reality is that we live in a morally bankrupt country where many people are taught that backing down is a sign of weakness and being aggressive and threatening is a sign of strength.

Nah, it's really just a country built up on having no-shame.

No-shame in getting in other peoples way in life. No shame in how you act in life and your overall appearance/reputation. That translates into assholes.

One of the reasons I would love to move to Japan. Only place I've ever been where people actually to uphold a good public image, and also don't want to be a burden on others. Every public subway/train I've ever been on consists of everyone BUMRUSHING the escalator and then sitting there. Not in Japan. Everyone gets in single-file line and keeps right so anyone in a hurry can be on the left.

This type of behavior is especially evident in the Bible belt so I am not surprised that the rep has had bad experience with Christians. This type of behavior is a stain on Christians everywhere.

lol as someone that has been all over the US (And the world)... No. No, you're full of it. I've encountered assholes and asshats equally across CA, Chicago, NY/NJ, the list goes on and on and on.

In fact, if anything I've encountered it is a correlation with assholes being more probable in crowded cities instead of outer suburbs and more rural-ish areas. Which sort of makes sense, everyone is always angry - always honking horns, always "late", always rushing from place to place vs... just being more relaxed.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2012
In my experience, the far-left (the real far left, not what so many Americans seem to consider 'far left') make a fetish of hardness and ruthlessness. Softness and sentimentality is a 'sin' in that culture.
In the US though, I think it's a safe bet that Christians outnumber far-leftists - by a considerable margin.

Far lefty people have far surpassed far-righties. Average of the blue is roughly at 2/10, while average of the right is roughly 6.5/10.

1627573862599.png

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003

No-shame in getting in other peoples way in life. No shame in how you act in life and your overall appearance/reputation. That translates into assholes.

One of the reasons I would love to move to Japan. Only place I've ever been where people actually to uphold a good public image, and also don't want to be a burden on others. Every public subway/train I've ever been on consists of everyone BUMRUSHING the escalator and then sitting there. Not in Japan. Everyone gets in single-file line and keeps right so anyone in a hurry can be on the left.

I would be so tempted to cut though...

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010

lol as someone that has been all over the US (And the world)... No. No, you're full of it. I've encountered assholes and asshats equally across CA, Chicago, NY/NJ, the list goes on and on and on.

In fact, if anything I've encountered it is a correlation with assholes being more probable in crowded cities instead of outer suburbs and more rural-ish areas. Which sort of makes sense, everyone is always angry - always honking horns, always "late", always rushing from place to place vs... just being more relaxed.
ok

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Far lefty people have far surpassed far-righties. Average of the blue is roughly at 2/10, while average of the right is roughly 6.5/10.

View attachment 47964
That doesn't really have anything to do with the statement "I think it's a safe bet that Christians outnumber far-leftists". I suppose you're implying that all Christians must be far right, but they're not.