Interesting Analysis on the iPhone 5

Mar 13, 2011
Interesting read.

Apple has been known as a secretive company, and a legendary corporate culture. There hasn’t been much rumours coming out about the next iPhone 5… which is somewhat unusual, I have to admit – Apple has been known for spreading rumours to deceive competitors and keep them on their toes. False information has been known to be come directly from the company itself. But why is this happening this time?

Source:
http://azedica.wordpress.com/2011/...

I'm currently waiting for the iPhone 5 right now... you guys waiting too?

Zen0

Jan 30, 2011
I have an iPhone 4 VZW and "waiting" for the iPhone 5. Which is to say, no I'm not waiting. I'll sell my iPhone 4 when the iPhone 5 drops.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
Yes I'm waiting for the iPhone 5. I currently have a iPhone 3G but my Dell Streak comes in soon. I'm hoping the iPhone 5 will be able to replace it.

Ka0t1x

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2004
will it be on 4g? they should call it the iphone 4g

After 3G/3GS user confusion.. meh.

I was given a 3GS for some work I did, so its going on a family plan with my 4. After 5 release my 4 will be out of contract and I'll be able to replace the 3GS with it. No reason not to upgrade. BB and Android options aren't that attractive for me.

Also that article was less than analysis... Its basically common sense.

Last edited:

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Nope. After using every iPhone since the original was released in 2007 I finally got tired of the "same old" and switched to Android. Apple would have to make some drastic changes to hardware and IOS for me to go back. The latest rumor that made rounds today points to only an improved antenna, A5 CPU, and possibly 8MP camera. Sorry, Apple, but in 2011 a smartphone with only 3.5" screen just isn't going to cut it, at least for me.

runawayprisoner

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2008
Catching up in what way?

It needs to be able to beat Android in customizations, it needs to be able to beat WebOS in multitasking, it needs to be able to beat Android in notifications, it needs to be able to beat everything else on the market in processing power, and it needs to have a working antenna that can communicate with Martians. Oh, before I forget, it needs to be able to capture 99.99% of the market, and everyone else has to have less than .001% share of the market.

In short, everyone is expecting the iPhone 5 to be absolute king at every category, and that's not because of fanboyism. ;)

Seriously, though, I think sometimes that thanks to the shortcomings of the iPhone, competition has survived to this day. Why people want to see a device they hate become perfect is beyond me...

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
It needs to be able to beat Android in customizations, it needs to be able to beat WebOS in multitasking, it needs to be able to beat Android in notifications, it needs to be able to beat everything else on the market in processing power, and it needs to have a working antenna that can communicate with Martians. Oh, before I forget, it needs to be able to capture 99.99% of the market, and everyone else has to have less than .001% share of the market.

Customizations: Jailbreak it and put whatever you want on it
Multitasking: Multitasking implementation is different on webOS from design. they don't have things running in the background for a reason. i actually like Apple's implementation of multitasking.
Notifications: notifications in webOS are better, and I agree with you there
Processing power: show me where iDevices are lacking in processing power (in real world situations).

runawayprisoner

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2008
Well, I meant... when I don't have to jailbreak the device for those things to happen.

I know for a fact that if I were to jailbreak my iPhone, I can get all the kinds of customizations I want, and probably a lot deeper than Android, too. I can also change multitasking to close to WebOS style, and even notification can be changed to be a hybrid between WebOS and Android. But hey... the important thing is whether Apple will officially ever do them. I am not confident of the stability of those customizations mentioned.

Processing power will feel lacking when you have an iPad 2 in your hands. It makes even my MacBook Pro feel underpowered.

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
Catching up in what way?

So many things to improve on: bigger screen, live lock screen, better antenna, dual core, better camera, 64GB memory for top model, customization without jailbreaking, something "magical", etc.

<====== iPhone 4 user

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
Processing power will feel lacking when you have an iPad 2 in your hands. It makes even my MacBook Pro feel underpowered.

I still don't understand where processing power is lacking...

So many things to improve on: bigger screen, live lock screen, better antenna, dual core, better camera, 64GB memory for top model, customization without jailbreaking, something "magical", etc.

Most of those are software fixes. Things like bigger screen is a design thing.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
I am wondering if the iPhone 5 is going to be a real let down when it hits. I am not waiting because I can always sell my iPhone4 and upgrade when the 5 drops.

But look at the 3G to 3GS; the improvements were fine but hardly revolutionary. I think the next iPhone will be more like that then the 3GS to the 4G was.

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
I am wondering if the iPhone 5 is going to be a real let down when it hits. I am not waiting because I can always sell my iPhone4 and upgrade when the 5 drops.

But look at the 3G to 3GS; the improvements were fine but hardly revolutionary. I think the next iPhone will be more like that then the 3GS to the 4G was.

Yup. Tick Tock. Revolutionary, Evolutionary. It's like Intel's strategy.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
will it be on 4g? they should call it the iphone 4g
Considering VZ & ATT are just barely starting LTE roll-outs, I'm guessing no.

I think the iPad 2 SoC is a good preview of the next iPhone. Decide for yourself if that's a big enough jump.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007

The jump from the 3G to the 3GS was probably the biggest revision in terms of hardware we have seen with the Cortex A8 and the introduction of the PowerVR SGX 535.

Last edited:

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
just need a better camera, better notifications, flash, and a kickstand.

runawayprisoner

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2008
I still don't understand where processing power is lacking...

It's the same need/want battle that people would throw out to justify spending money on a new device, or the same famous argument Windows users have against Mac users.

The iPhone 4 is fast right now, and it is enough for most people's needs, but it doesn't hurt anyone if the iPhone 5 comes out with a much faster chip at the same price point. It's not whether processing power is lacking (or whether anyone needs more) but whether processing power can be improved.

Same thing with the rest of it. It's all good right now, but it can all be improved so much more, and since the competition has already "improved" theirs, there is no reason for Apple to stay behind.