intentional grounding?

Jul 10, 2007
i heard the announcer just say that Romo should've thrown it out of bounds to avoid getting sacked.
isn't that intentional grounding?

mrkun

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2005
Out of curiosity, how close does the ball need to be to a receiver in order for a pass to be ruled incomplete versus intentional grounding, assuming it's thrown from within the pocket?

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Another stupid question, what's considered 'the pocket'? is there an exact rule (e.g. an area X ft by X ft from the ball before it was snapped)?

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Originally posted by: BCYL
Another stupid question, what's considered 'the pocket'? is there an exact rule (e.g. an area X ft by X ft from the ball before it was snapped)?
Generally outside the tackles is out of the pocket. So just 2-3 strides to the left or right and you're out of the pocket.

MyThirdEye

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Pacfanweb
Generally outside the tackles is out of the pocket. So just 2-3 strides to the left or right and you're out of the pocket.

:thumbsup:

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000

But you can go as far back as you want? I gotta think there's a limit (eg. 10 yards) or the QB can just keep back-paddling...

ts3433

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004

But you can go as far back as you want? I gotta think there's a limit (eg. 10 yards) or the QB can just keep back-paddling...

The "limit" is the end line behind him, at which point (if he hasn't been sacked already, which is unlikely) the defense scores a safety and gets 2 points. There's no need, therefore, for any sort of rear limit. The QB can move outside the pocket (left or right) anyway.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: mrkun
Out of curiosity, how close does the ball need to be to a receiver in order for a pass to be ruled incomplete versus intentional grounding, assuming it's thrown from within the pocket?

I'm not sure how the rule reads, but in practice if the pass is anywhere near an eligible receiver it will almost always be ruled incomplete.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

He has to throw it back to the line of scrimmage at least, so if he goes back 50 yards it'll be harder to get it back there.

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Captante
Originally posted by: mrkun

I'm not sure how the rule reads, but in practice if the pass is anywhere near an eligible receiver it will almost always be ruled incomplete.

Ehh I've seen college football plays where they totally throw it where no receiver is even there within 5 yards and they still rule it incomplete. Except the announcer doesn't even name a receiver because at that point you could say there are 2 "eligible" receivers since the ball is just thrown to so far away. I remember one guy behind me was joking why don't they say it was thrown to the down marker and was incomplete.

I think intentional grounding is a very flexible penalty and it's almost BS. I see it rarely called, and it's usually only called when you blatantly throw it into the ground. If you throw it away, when your receiver runs some sort of crap corner route, it'll be ruled incomplete.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Most of the time if its just a sh1tty throw they wont call it, usually they want to see the QB under pressure. ALthough in teh cowboys game today Romo had that bizarre throw to nowhere while under no pressure and he was called for intentional grounding