Intellimouse Optical or Explorer 3.0

ironique

May 16, 2002
What's the main difference between a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical, and Intellimouse Explorer 3.0. Is there any justification for the extra bucks on the latter? I need to so that I can decide on which one I should buy.

Jittles

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2001
If I'm not mistaken the optical is the white one and the explorer is gray. Both are optical mice.
I have the white one and my friend has the grey one.

White one:
smaller, left/right handed, extra buttons located on both sides.

Grey one:
larger (i feel too big), only right handed (unless there is a lefty version), two extra buttons both on one side controlled by thumb.

I definitely prefer the one I have which I *believe* is the optical, not explorer.

Jittles

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2001
I suggest going to a local computer store and just feeling them. AFAIK they both function on the same basic level, the ergonomics are the main difference.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

Jittles

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2001
Hmmmmm... just saw this same topic.

troubles with explorer 3.0

Possible those problems are with earlier models and its all fixed now but something to keep in mind.

And not to sound biased but I would guess you could find similar problems with the other mouse too.

This post wasn't really any help now was it. :confused:

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
I like both but the Explorer model puts the two extra buttons on the left side and it's hard to hit the furthest button without taking your hand off the mouse.

I think the sampling rate is the same on both now that the Optical has the enhanced sensor.

Squibby

Mar 19, 2001
My brother has the Intellimouse Optical, and I have the Explorer 3.0. I really like how the Explorer is angled so it fits your hand. Naturally, you had doesn't lie flat, it lies at an angle (put your had down naturally and notice the arc under your knuckles). In that respect, I like the way the Explorer feels much better. I relatively small hands, but the Explorer fits them perfectly. I don't know if it's just because I've been using the mouse for so long, but if I let my hand assume it's natural position, then place it over the mouse, everything is exactly where it should be.

The Intellimouse Optical is also a good mouse... I just like how the Explorer feels much better. But, as Jittles said, go to the store and feel for yourself, as mice are all about personal preference. I'd get an MX700 if I was getting a mouse right now, but that's a different story...

Squibby

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I got the Intellimouse Optical over the Explorer because it was closer to a conventional mouse shape. The Explorer has a weirder shape and is larger so it might not fit so well if you're used to other mice. The Intellimouse Optical's shape is more neutral. You get 1-2 less buttons, but it still has 5 buttons, which IMHO is more than enough unless you're really lazy :)

Anyway, it sports the same 6KHz scanrate and is also cheaper...especially since I got the OEM version :)

Slogun

Platinum Member
Jul 4, 2001
I bought an explorer the week they came out. Must have been close to two years ago now. I promptly returned it.
For me, it was so sleek that i couldn't get a firm enough grip on it for my gaming needs.
I am a long time fan of the intellimouse optical/usb.