intellimouse optical, can't get the side buttons to work

bockchow

Platinum Member
Sep 18, 2001
i just got a new intellimouse optical the one with the extra buttons on each side but i can't get anything from them. i shut down pluged the mouse in useing the usb-ps/2 converter (i'm not found of usb mice) and then i installed the software that came with it but there isn't any option in the mouse properties screen for my mouse, it only has the original intellimouse and the optical wheel mouse but no explorer or any other mouse that has the extra buttons. i saw a screenshot of the program that had button assignment slots for them but it won't come up on mine. i'm running win2k and i've already restarted and reinstalled a number of times and still nothing. any suggetions

ys

Oct 10, 1999
Sorry, don't have an answer.

I use intellimouse optical and win2k, there's no problem with my setup(with USB though).
As you've mentioned the only place for configuration is at the mouse properties, tab "Button".
Then there's a pull down menu for whatever your mouse is. I chose "intellimouse optical" and
it shows a correct picture of it and button assignments.

I used the USB => PS/2 converter with win98 without a problem also.

on my system the driver version is:
5/9/2001

Or just download the latest driver and try again...
download

bockchow

Platinum Member
Sep 18, 2001
ya i've already downloaded and installed the latest version. it was the same version on the disc though but i tried it anyway. i'll uninstall shut down and switch to usb and see if that goes i guess, if not then i call microsoft.

Souka

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2000
If possible, try the mouse on another system. School, friend, work, library...somewhere.....

good luck!