IntelBurnTest maximum memory test fails instantly

jtbell

Dec 10, 2008
This PC passes a Prime95 blend test overnight, Memtest86 is fine, and it plays games like Crysis for hours without crashes.

All the cool kids seem to like IntelBurnTest now for stress testing so I ran it. The program always passes, except when testing "maximum memory." In that case it fails instantly, like within .25 seconds.

Does anyone have experience with IntelBurnTest or Linpack that can shed some light on why every other test passes, but this maximum memory test fails in less than one second? I'm hoping it's just a bug, because of 4GB RAM under a 32-bit operating system or something like that.

Windows XP 32-bit
Motherboard: GIGABYTE EP45-UD3P
Memory: Two sticks CORSAIR XMS2 2GB DDR2 800
CPU: Intel E8500

Happens when underclocked or overclocked, doesn't matter. Everything says stable except the IntelBurnTest maximum memory test, which fails in .2 seconds every time. The other IntelBurnTests pass.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
IntelBurnTest didn't worked for me under Vist32 bit, the full memory test. It just gave an error and exited. But that didn't happened anymore in Vista X64. Maybe it's the same thing in your case? I guess the program has a hard time allocating the whole memory in Vista 32 and crashes.

jtbell

Dec 10, 2008
Yes it was exiting awfully fast, like the test doesn't even actually run. Thank you very much for your reply, it makes me feel more confident that there is just a problem with a 32-bit operating system and IntelBurnTest maximum setting, and not my computer.

Concillian

Diamond Member
May 26, 2004
Yeah, in those cases use 1/2 or 1/4 memory and it should run fine. Most people are using this to test CPU and FSB, and those are still tested fine with smaller RAM footprints. You just have to increase the number of tests to get the same amount of total time under test.