-==[- Intel Watercools Nehalem to 4.61GHz -]==-

AuDioFreaK39

Aug 7, 2006
twitter.com
Intel watercools Nehalem to 4.61GHz

François's workshop kicks Phenom II back

The guy behind Skulltrail and Skulltrail 2 projects François Piednoel, and the rest of its performance analysis group, have showed us Nehalem, Core i7 PC water cooled all the way to 4.61GHz.

No Self Promotion

esquared
Anandtech Senior Moderator

eternalone

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2008
The CPU temperature was at 61 degree Celsius while the CPU Voltage regulator was at 31 °C and chipset at 41 °C. The clock is much higher than the one you can score on Phenom II, but Intel?s CPU used here is much more expensive.

Nehelem, Core i7 is definitely better water overclocker than Phenom II but Phenom II still overclocks higher at 6GHz+ domains.

AuDioFreaK39

Aug 7, 2006
twitter.com
Originally posted by: eternalone
The CPU temperature was at 61 degree Celsius while the CPU Voltage regulator was at 31 °C and chipset at 41 °C. The clock is much higher than the one you can score on Phenom II, but Intel?s CPU used here is much more expensive.

Nehelem, Core i7 is definitely better water overclocker than Phenom II but Phenom II still overclocks higher at 6GHz+ domains.

Yeah, 6GHz on liquid helium.. I was there at the XtremeSystems event when Sampsa and his team broke 6.4GHz on the Phenom II with this exotic cooling technique.

VulcanX

Apr 15, 2008
Wow i cant overclock at all :) that makes me look even worse, here these guys get it to 4.61 and i only taken my 6000+ to 3.2, WOOOHOO! Thanks for showing me how noob i truly am :) appreciate it

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Originally posted by: VulcanX
Wow i cant overclock at all :) that makes me look even worse, here these guys get it to 4.61 and i only taken my 6000+ to 3.2, WOOOHOO! Thanks for showing me how noob i truly am :) appreciate it

:laugh:

Whole different classes of chips they're using along with multi-thousand-dollar cooling systems. Now, if you bought a PII & LH cooling and could only get to 3.2GHz...

:roll:

ajaidevsingh

Mar 7, 2008
Amm did you guys note the pump used its a D5 and the voltage for 4.6 at only 1.4v "Stable WoW"

Other than the fact its handpicked and a i965 oh my when is that 7ghz OC we were suppose to get??

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Wow 4.6GHz and it was capable of supporting a 5% load! Imagine how much higher they could have overclocked it were they to run just a screensaver and keep the load under 3%! :shocked:

These e-peen contests are officially getting just plain silly. Come on Intel, can we get past 2008 already?

Want to impress us enthusiasts show us an application that actually benefits us by running 8 threads while consuming the triple channel ram bandwidth on these x58 boards. Or start doing LN2 demo's with Westmere.

4.6GHz on water with an i7 :roll: woot? Sure, if it was fall 2007.

Phunk0ne

Jul 20, 2007
Originally posted by: eternalone

It might help to mention it was with the use of LH.
in which it still loses to the highest overclock... a P4 @ 8Ghz
http://www.engadget.com/2007/0...ur-fancy-core-2-try-t/

so pretty much useless to mention wouldn't you say?

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
the term skulltrail 2 is so wrong.

You can ask intel that, and they will deny that name.

Skulltrail 2 is a name we came up with not intel.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Not bad . Why would this be cherry picked. AS stated by whomever? Its impressive for intel first True Quad LOL. How did PHI do on O/C? Intel Goes Immersion lithography @ 32. With I mature core just as AMD did with 45nm PHII. on Immersion lithography .

So intels first attempt looks great to me. NOW lets see what PHII and I5 dual cores can do .

Wasn't it the P4s from intel that O/C really well but couldn't match performance of AMD .

PHI & PHII = P4 for AMD . Funny how what goes around comes round.

If Intel keeps HT active on I5 dual cores that should prove to be a good gaming chip for present and older games.

Things are changing so fast its hard to get hold off/

Latest from MS insiders is a betting pool. When epic comes to the desktop. Sandybridge must be an interesting chip.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: VulcanX
I5? What u mean I5? Isnt it i7? Now im lost, is there a architecture i dunno bout at all? :(

i5 is the moniker for the forthcoming mainstream nehalem chips Lynnfield and Havendale (LGA 1160).

i7 is the designation reserved for Nehalems that go into the Bloomfield platform (LGA 1366).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N...processor_architecture

i5 is expected to debut sometime late spring.