Intel unveils System on a Chip

Dec 21, 2006
X-Bit Labs

The Intel CE 2110 media processor is a complete system-on-a-chip (SoC) architecture that combines an embedded 1GHz Intel XScale central processing unit, MPEG-2 and H.264 hardware video decoders, DDR2 memory interface, 2D/3D graphics accelerators, and is supported by a modular software development environment. The platform architecture also allows CE developers and manufacturers to deliver pure IP or hybrid set-top-boxes designed to receive content from IP and digital broadcast pipes.

Integrated memory controller AND 2D/3D Graphics capabilites? AMD's Fusion may be in trouble...

EDIT: Also, I am aware this is an intel XScale processor, not a full destop X86-64 Proc. Still, i thought the implications of this product were important.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
well not really that big a deal. i am invested in a lot of stocks and such, and this is a chip to be used for things like IPTV set top boxes and would compete with something broadcom or sigma designs makes.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
OP-

ATI, now AMD , has been producing SoC for a " broad range of markets requiring digital video; including set-top boxes, digital TVs, home media gateways, and TVpads" for at least 5 years now. Text

Fusion is x86 ISA with *graphics-specific extension* from what I've read, and will likely first target the notebook market.