Intel tries to halt pre-launch Lynnfield sales

MODEL3

Jul 22, 2009
http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/17449

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20090820PD205.html

The chipmaker has "sent letters to motherboard makers demanding an explanation for shipping P55-based motherboards ahead of schedule

"You bastards! Why....."

or even better:

Intel: "I'm sorry, but we must be firm with you! Give a valid explanation, or else!"

M/B makers: "Or else what?"

Intel: "Or else we will be very very angry with you! And we will write you a letter telling you how angry we are"

You know the rest!

Intel has asked retailers to stop selling them in order to maintain fairness for other vendors, the sources said.

Intel: "In what economic system do you think you live in? This is CAPITALISM!"

Let me explain to you what Intel meant:

Intel believes: what the world need is compassion! All retailers do, is to create new enemies for the capitalistic system!

Let me explain to you how this works:

You see the corporations, finance the capitalistic system!" And the corporations sit there, in in the corporation buildings, and and and they are corporationy and they make money!
Doesn't that make sense, hm?"

The sources said that motherboard makers started shipping the products early so as to shorten the time to market

M/B makers (china/taiwan): "We 'll sell M/B earlier!"

Intel's translator: "Our dear leader Mr. Otellini, said that the plan was for you to deliver the M/Bs in September! He asks what part of the deal, you didn't understand! He says that, maybe his translator did not make it clear to you, he says that he will fire his translator?"

Boom!

Otellini:"Do you have any idea, how fucking busy i am? I cannot believe that I have a m/b maker standing here, telling me when he is going to make a delivery! Harrow?"

M/B makers: "Perhaps We can sell them later"

Otellini:"Yea perhaps you could! Now stop selling the fucking M/Bs and get the fuck out of here!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

They meant no harm, just like you guys (intel) meant no harm when you started shipping I5s one month before the launch!

Just kidding!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
*EDIT*
For the guys that are not familiar with the movie "Team America: World Police",
I guess it is not obvious that this is an adaptation of the dialogue!
It is a very good comedy, anyone that hasn't see it, go rent it!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0372588/

Here is a clip from youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0hk9vaqWUg

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
If you think about it it makes sense. If the drivers and the BIOSes aren't fully ready yet, its Intel that will get bad reputation. Even after launch some motherboards have premature BIOSes and software bundles.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
I see two aspects to this topic that merit debate and contemplation.

The first is in regards to contractual obligations and business ethics. If company A and company B engage in a business contract which stipulates that company A will buy chipsets from company B, design a product using those chipsets from company B and licenses the proper bus-related IP from company B in order to make the product then it stands to reason that company B would expect company A to adhere to all the tenants of the contract regardless the human-story (recession, etc) that may develop in the meantime.

A business that is operated by executive decision makers who demonstrate willing disregard for the tenets of a pre-existing business contract is making the flagrant statement that they put short-term money and marketshare gains ahead of the long-term ethics and business relationship aspects of their industry. Would you want to work for such an employer? Be a shareholder of such an employer? Be a customer of such an employer?

If the decision makers are willing to choose short-term monetary gains at the expense of sullying their business ethics then just how confident can you be that the same decision makers did not decide to build a crap product, use cheap/counterfeit components to save a few pennies, and may decide to refuse to honor warranty claims in 3-6 months when rma's hit the roof? I pity any customer who says to themselves "well true my mobo maker screwed over Intel by violating their business contract, but I'm sure they'll do right by me in making a quality mobo and honoring their warranty if it should have any problems".

The second is in regards to the mobo makers who are trying to claw there way to the point of differentiating their product in some fashion that creates the opportunity to enhance the gross margins. When everybody has to launch the same day that means no one gets "time to market" opportunity for driving gross margins higher, all that's left is competing on cost to manufacture the mobo as a means of enhancing GM's. The issue of course is again with the decision makers at the mobo company, company's don't make decisions, people do. And if you get some real short-termers in there then the marketing VP may be thinking to himself "if we pre-ship and turn a blind eye to early sales then we can boost Q3 sales by 5%, all of which I personally can claim to have enabled by means of my ingenious pre-ship ploy and I'm assured to get a nice fat bonus check at the end of the year for my efforts!".

So what if the company loses contracts next year when the P65 chipset comes out, the guy who bagged his bonus this year will have long since quit his job and taken a new one with a competing mobo maker at a higher salary because he now has "experience in adding directly to the corporate bottom-line"...meanwhile all the lifers at the mobo maker get laid off next year as revenue tanks.

White collar crime pays, look at the US financial sector.

MODEL3

Jul 22, 2009
Otellini: "Look how much they love my show!" "The entire audience is so captivated!" "Now, you see, the new world is inevitable!"

Ruiz:"It's what?"

Otellini: "Ine, inevi, inevitable!"

Ruiz:"One more time?"

Otellini: "INEVITABLE!" "Things are inevitably going to change!" "God dammit, open your fucking ears!"

a few days earlier......

Intel employer 1: "Mr. Otellini, we have a problem!" "The M/B makers released in the retail the P55 motherboards earlier"

Otellini: "What! You fools, they will ruin everything!"

Intel employer 2:"We better warn everyone, they (P55 M/Bs) 'll be heading here!

Otellini: "No! We can't look weak and powerless!" "If lawyers is the only thing all those bastard understand, then lawyers they 'll get!

You know the rest..... (QAPLA' !!!)

Guys, relax, it's just comedy! :laugh:

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: faxon
lol i like how one of the articles quoted my post

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100845657

This is the only site i can get to from work

i never signed an NDA so i figured i would post it here.

District managers are here right now. once they go i will try to snap one with my phone lol. no pics until i get off tonight though

And none of this seems to qualify as bad ethics to you?

I never signed an NDA prohibiting me from stealing from my employer either, doesn't mean I don't know better. And the fact you knew better than to take pictures with the managers standing right there tells me you do know better.

Whatever happened to people just doing their jobs when on the clock? I doubt your job description entails making forum accounts and posting competitive info without your employer's direct consent while they pay you to be working.

I know you are probably thinking the worst that could come from your actions is that your boss catches wind of it and fires you, but really you've documented the sort of evidence that they would use to prosecute you for corporate espionage (not of Intel, but of Fry's for the betterment of MC and all other retail competitors) if it catches the attention of an aspiring lawyer type of person in Frys.

You seem like a nice enough person, I really hope you make better ethical choices in the future and that this one doesn't come back to haunt you in ways you hadn't contemplated.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Idontcare
So what if the company loses contracts next year when the P65 chipset comes out, the guy who bagged his bonus this year will have long since quit his job and taken a new one with a competing mobo maker at a higher salary because he now has "experience in adding directly to the corporate bottom-line"...meanwhile all the lifers at the mobo maker get laid off next year as revenue tanks.
How deep will Intel's retaliation go? Will a motherboard company have a limited number of chipsets it can buy? Limited models of chipsets? No Intel chipsets at all?

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: ShawnD1
How deep will Intel's retaliation go? Will a motherboard company have a limited number of chipsets it can buy? Limited models of chipsets? No Intel chipsets at all?

Definitely all those options are on the table, any all legally allowable options would be...but really the answer to that question will be depend on just how much "potential damage" Intel thinks was generated here as they carry out their behind-the-scenes "damage control".

Will they take it to Apple/Foxconn extremes? I doubt it, Apple kinda sets the bar when it comes to paranoia surrounding unreleased products. But is Intel gonna sit back and do a fool me once shame on me, fool me twice shame on you, thing here? Also not likely.

Someone will be made the golden example of why you don't piss off Intel, we may never hear about it directly (if the mobo maker knows better and wants to restore their relationship) but no doubt there will be employees at the punished mobo maker firms who will vent their frustrations over the terms of the punishment to the likes of TheInq, Fudz, BSN, and SA. Just wait a year and connect the chronological dots when someone in Digitimes starts squawking about chipset shortages or price hikes.

MODEL3

Jul 22, 2009
I remember i saw somewhere before 1-2 week or so, a video, i don't remember if it was in taiwan or in akihabara (japan) (or maybe i saw 2 videos) that the tech stores had huge quantity of retail i5s and P55 mobos! Did anyone else saw that?

Well I can understand that the motherboard makers are bad people :laugh:

Where did the retailers get the i5s?

Usually Intel delivers its CPUs 1 week or so before launch! (at least in the european region!)
Why now they delivered the CPUs a whole month before the launch?

It is not the first time that motherboard makers release mobos before the official launch date (but also i can't remember a case that released mobos a whole month before the launch)

I am not implying anything, but the concidence is strange!

Now seriously,
I don't know how can anyone say,
that the right isn't with Intel's side this time!

But if anyone wants to argue about it, go ahead!

On the other hand,
Intel is not exactly an angelic made company either! (at least with the business practises that Intel use in the europe region where i live!)

So I can't understand why the fuck is talking with terms like fairness with a straight face!

It's just preposterous to me how can anyone discuss notions like Ethical principles with what corporations do for a living (good & bad ones)
I want even conceive to participate in such a discussion, for me it's meaningless!

But that's just me, i respect anyone's different opinion!

MODEL3

Jul 22, 2009

I never signed an NDA prohibiting me from stealing from my employer either, doesn't mean I don't know better. And the fact you knew better than to take pictures with the managers standing right there tells me you do know better.

Whatever happened to people just doing their jobs when on the clock? I doubt your job description entails making forum accounts and posting competitive info without your employer's direct consent while they pay you to be working.

I know you are probably thinking the worst that could come from your actions is that your boss catches wind of it and fires you, but really you've documented the sort of evidence that they would use to prosecute you for corporate espionage (not of Intel, but of Fry's for the betterment of MC and all other retail competitors) if it catches the attention of an aspiring lawyer type of person in Frys.

You seem like a nice enough person, I really hope you make better ethical choices in the future and that this one doesn't come back to haunt you in ways you hadn't contemplated.

If i understand correctly what you are trying to suggest to faxon, i agree with you!
But you are using some strong words there!

Didn't Fry's management the same time, promoting the i5s in their website in the CPU department for everyone to see? (with all the photos/info?)

If he posted the news on his brake (or if he waited a couple of hours to go home, he could post from there) (without the photos, in the first place i didn't understood why he took the photos since in Fry's website it had photos/specs/price and the avaliability was O.K.)

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Originally posted by: waffleironhead
Originally posted by: Phynaz
Originally posted by: MODEL3

Guys, relax, it's just comedy! :laugh:

Comedy is supposed to be funny. Your post isn't .

:laugh:

:thumbsup:

See, there's three kinds of people: Intel, AMD, and Mobo Makers. AMD thinks everyone can get along, and Intel just wants to f**k them all the time without thinking it through. But then you got Mobo Makers, Chuck. And all Mobo Makers wants is us to s**t all over everything! So, AMD may get mad at Intel once in a while, because AMD gets f***ed by Intel. But Intel also f**ks Mobo Makers, Chuck. And if they didn't f**k Mobo Makers, you know what you'd get? You'd get your d**k and your p***y all covered in 84-Stage-Power-Phases!

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
Originally posted by: faxon
lol i like how one of the articles quoted my post

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100845657

This is the only site i can get to from work

i never signed an NDA so i figured i would post it here.

District managers are here right now. once they go i will try to snap one with my phone lol. no pics until i get off tonight though

i should mention that while all the stock may be in back in a locked cage, you could have just as easily ascertained the presence of the products i pictured by looking over the register counter to see them sitting there on the shelf. the fact is, someone at main office screwed up, because apparently we were actually selling them from the online store, something we still cannot do in store, since the PLU (that 7 digit number on the tag we put on the box) isnt even active in our point of sales system yet. the only thing i posted that you couldnt have ascertained from the sales floor was already published on the web from taiwan the day i posted the pictures, being the intel sticker detailing specs, stepping, batch info, ect. if someone were to come in and try to buy one on the clock, i would still respect intels wishes not to have them sold until release date in the united states, right up until my boss came in and told me otherwise, but if intel cant keep a lid on leaks, i have no issues simply telling people what they already know to be true, or could have figured out for themselves if they wanted to, without violating any rules or trade laws in the process no less

ed: ooh and i should bring up another point. why do we even have i5 processors yet anyway, i thought intel only shipped those out a week, maybe 2 weeks at most, before official launch? if they had kept to this strategy, it wouldnt even matter how many motherboards were out, since the only people who could test them were still under NDA with their ES chips regardless of what motherboards were out in retail early