Question Intel to AMD Ryzen 3700X swap with Samsung 960 Evo 1 TB NVMe SSD drivers?

AMD64Blondie

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2013
I'm going to have a computer tech friend of mine help me get my current Intel i7-7700 system(with a Gigabyte GA-Z270-XP-SLI motherboard),switched to an AMD Ryzen 3700X with a Gigabye X570 Gaming X motherboard.

My current boot drive is a Samsung 960 Evo 1 TB NVMe SSD.The tricky part is the drivers for my Samsung 960 Evo.

Will we run into any issues when switching from Intel to AMD with the NVMe SSD? (In terms of being able to boot back into Windows 10 after the board swap.)

damian101

Aug 11, 2020
That can indeed be problematic. Windows sometimes crashes during boot if you move the installation between systems that require different chipset drivers.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
A clean install is always best, but if you want to retain your current setup you have nothing to loose by trying. Over time, Windows has continued to evolve its ability to deal with major hardware changes. Windows 10 is the best yet in this regard, and more times than not it won't even hiccup over such a situation.

Is your Windows license retail or OEM? If it is OEM, be aware you will likely have activation issues after such a hardware conversion.

If you decide to do this, do a complete system backup first with something like Macrium Free. That way, if the conversion doesn't work you can do a clean install of Windows, then load the backup as an accessible archive to easily recover your important files.

Reactions: Tlh97

AMD64Blondie

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2013
Thanks for the advice.Looking forward to getting my newly rebuilt PC up and running again.
(Once the old,creaky Core i7 has vanished,and the new AMD Ryzen 3700X has taken its place inside my case.)

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
To ensure best performance and stability after the swap, do a complete wipe of the graphics drivers. Then install the AMD chipset drivers, and reinstall the latest graphics drivers.