Intel T6400 vs. T5800

badali16

Mar 10, 2009
I am just shopping for a laptop and I noticed these two nearly identical processors which are priced about $50 apart and I can't see why.

The only difference between these two appears to be the fabrication process. Is there any difference beyond reduced power consumption? Specifically, is there any difference in computing performance? If so, why?

http://www.dexternights.com/20...rocessors-comparision/

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
There's very little performance difference between the mobile cpu parts in general, not enough to justify the massive price hikes. However, going penryn is safer IMO if you are going to keep the computer on for a longer amount of time particularly given the lack of cooling on a laptop. I bought a Dell Studio Hybrid recently (eee box competitor) and I went with a much more expensive T8100 instead of a T5800 for this main purpose -- gonna be a dedicated server and media center pc and will likely be on 24/7.

Dec 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Astrallite
There's very little performance difference between the mobile cpu parts in general, not enough to justify the massive price hikes. However, going penryn is safer IMO if you are going to keep the computer on for a longer amount of time particularly given the lack of cooling on a laptop. I bought a Dell Studio Hybrid recently (eee box competitor) and I went with a much more expensive T8100 instead of a T5800 for this main purpose -- gonna be a dedicated server and media center pc and will likely be on 24/7.

With Dells at least it doesn't matter-- they set the BIOS to spin the fan up only when the CPU gets to a certain temperature. My friend's Core 2 gets up to 85C before it starts trying to cool it. It idles at 70C.

Aug 23, 2000
I thought the t5800 was a 800mhz bus CPU and the t6400 was a 1066MHz bus

edit, after looking at the intel spec sheet, I was wrong. 65nm vs 45nm part is all I can see is different.

7zeal

Aug 27, 2009
Well, there is another difference. T6400 has a wider VCore range, so compared to T5800, it will be cooler on idle, but also hotter on usage (even though they both have the same TDP of 35W). They mention this on the intel pages too, max temp for T5800 is 90 degress C, while for the T6400 it's 105 degrees C. I'd go with the T5800, since have a friend who just bought an asus with T5800 and he's continuously stunned at how it doesn't really heat up at all (rare thing with laptops these days).