intel smart response tech ? about which drive gets accelerated

merk

May 29, 2003
When I enabled the smart response tech, it asks me to pick the size of the cache to use and which drive to accelerate. Does this mean it's not caching any data from any drive that's not accelerated?

i.e. if i have my boot drive, and then i have a 2nd drive i put movies and games on and i've only accelerated the boot drive, none of my games are going to load any quicker?

If that's true, then does anyone know if it's feasible to split the cache drive into two partitions, and then use one partition to accelerate each drive?

Thanks

Last edited:

nanaki333

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2002
it's going to accelerate only 1 volume. i tried accelerating a games only drive and i haven't noticed any difference. still super slow.

merk

May 29, 2003
well i guess it doesn't matter since i can't accelerate more then one volume anyhow. also, it wont let me pick a custom cache size. It gives me a choice of 18.6gb or the full drive.

Guess i could have used 18.6 and then installed any games on the rest of the space, but didn't seem worth it so i just used the whole ssd.

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
I'm still on the fence on this srt thing that I've yet read a user review or two that say "WOW" this thing really works as it speeds my hdd so much faster now.
Is this whole thing a hoax or what?

merk

May 29, 2003
looks like expresscache is the same basic thing as srt

btw, i measured the boot time for windows before and after setting up the cache drive. It went from around 2:30 down to a minute. I measured the time from when the bios finished posting and started loading the os, to the time i was logged in and the mouse cursor no longer displayed a busy 'circle' icon.

I've also noticed one directory where i have a LOT of files that usually takes a long time to open up in windows explorer seems to be opening up quicker now.

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
looks like expresscache is the same basic thing as srt

btw, i measured the boot time for windows before and after setting up the cache drive. It went from around 2:30 down to a minute. I measured the time from when the bios finished posting and started loading the os, to the time i was logged in and the mouse cursor no longer displayed a busy 'circle' icon.

I've also noticed one directory where i have a LOT of files that usually takes a long time to open up in windows explorer seems to be opening up quicker now.

it sounds like you cache from your C drive or the OS?
Do you have the option to go to any HDD with just a click or two from the Intel manager?

merk

May 29, 2003
I decided to bite on this SSD :
http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Technology...pr_product_top

My OS and apps are located in C drive. (Hitachi)
My games are in D drive (WD Black).
I intend to cache on the D drive.

I'd suggest you sign up for newegg's daily deals email - you can get a much better deal on the SSD drive. They had a 60gb sdd the other day for $50. I picked up an ocz sata 3 60gb drive for $75 - i'd have bought the one for $50 if i had seen that before getting the one i have now.

merk

May 29, 2003
it sounds like you cache from your C drive or the OS?
Do you have the option to go to any HDD with just a click or two from the Intel manager?
C drive is the drive my OS is on and that's the drive i'm caching. And yes, i can see both hard drives in the intel manager, plus the sdd drive and my dvd drive.