Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 432 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
I didn't know that R1800X and 12C SKL-X is restricted to 'Tubers. I've learned something new, thanks.
Okay then lets be more specific. What does to 7920X offer over the 1800X for game streaming using CPU-encoding to make 'Tubers make the switch for 2-3 times more money.

This was the premise of VL's post.

Please answer without deviating off topic.

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017

Aw...Christmas tree is an apt description of these...boards...

Bring on the Asus (ROG) boards! And please with 90 degree tilted 24-pin and 8-pin connectors...

Its interesting what an avg enthusiast workload looks like in 3 years.
How multithreadded will applications and games be?
How is adoption of wider vectors?

Hopefully we will see 6/12+ properly utilized. With modern day frequencies the way forward is, IMHO, more cores/threads with similar frequencies and IPC improvements.

Reactions: gorydetails

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
All these fictional comparisons over products that haven't been released yet. It's getting pretty salty.
We'll have lots more to talk about after Computex when we get some factual info from Intel and AMD.

At best it gives us a basic idea at least, and something to do until we get official information. I cannot wait!!

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Its interesting what an avg enthusiast workload looks like in 3 years.
How multithreadded will applications and games be?
How is adoption of wider vectors?

I guess it depends on what the next console gen architecture looks like, or if there even is one. Neither really helping may end up being the answer really.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
What does to 7920X offer over the 1800X for game streaming using CPU-encoding to make 'Tubers make the switch for 2-3 times more money.

It offers a much better performance for game streaming. And there is no need to spend 2-3 times more money on it because even SKL-X 8C will be much faster for gaming. Nobody told there is a need for SKL-X 12C and nobody told you SKL-X is restricted to game streaming stuff, it's a rhetoric question to bash on SKL-X, it wasn't serious from him. For people who are looking for the best performance (for whatever reason!) SKL-X is their choice, it's a chip for enthusiasts if you like it or not.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
It offers a much better performance for game streaming. And there is no need to spend 2-3 times more money on it because even SKL-X 8C will be much faster for gaming. Nobody told there is a need for SKL-X 12C and nobody told you SKL-X is restricted to game streaming stuff, it's a rhetoric question to bash on SKL-X, it wasn't serious from him. For people who are looking for the best performance (for whatever reason!) SKL-X is their choice, it's a chip for enthusiasts if you like it or not.
I know, everyone is excited. But there are some pretty wild claims here. Define 'Much Better'. There isn't any evidence of that just yet. And there is no evidence that Intel will be lowering prices by any amount that actually matters either. I'm sure Skylake-X will be very nice and all, though a deadend with CL coming shortly after. But there's no need to go crazy with wishes and dreams.

Reactions: Grazick

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
I know, everyone is excited. But there are some pretty wild claims here. Define 'Much Better'. There isn't any evidence of that just yet. And there is no evidence that Intel will be lowering prices by any amount that actually matters either. I'm sure Skylake-X will be very nice and all, though a deadend with CL coming shortly after. But there's no need to go crazy with wishes and dreams.

CFL-S won't mean a dead end for SKL-X, I think. There'll need to be clear differences between CFL-S 6C/12T and Skylake-X 6C/12T for Intel not to shoot themselves in the foot, yet both need to be good. Perhaps the former will come without HT only, or perhaps the differences will only exist in PCI-E lanes and cache. Who knows. Besides, SKL-X offers more cores upwards in the line.

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
There is though, the Skylake-X core is more powerful and you get quad channel memory. The price difference is of course TBD.

Yeah...the price... Quad channel does eff all as far as I know - or maybe in some niche area it is useful. Aside from everything, 8C has a longer life ahead of it than 6C.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Yeah...the price... Quad channel does eff all as far as I know - or maybe in some niche area it is useful. Aside from everything, 8C has a longer life ahead of it than 6C.

With how skylake scales with memory speed in some workloads, it will be interesting to see if quad channel provides a similar benefit to skylake-x before the memory overclocking.

blue11

May 11, 2017
With how skylake scales with memory speed in some workloads, it will be interesting to see if quad channel provides a similar benefit to skylake-x before the memory overclocking.
Most enthusiasts are already using DDR4-3200, which has literally twice the bandwidth of DDR3-1600 (Haswell). It's not like Skylake is twice as fast as Haswell, so there is no particular need for additional bandwidth. The "scaling" (in games?) you refer to probably has to do with latency. The baseline DDR4-2133 (CAS15) JEDEC timings are quite loose compared to OC, but quad-channel memory won't help latency. In fact, I would expect latency on Skylake-X/SP to be worse than client, as was the case in previous generations.

Well, I could be wrong. Perhaps AMD Naples with 8 memory channels will be a gamechanger for PC.

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Most enthusiasts are already using DDR4-3200, which has literally twice the bandwidth of DDR3-1600 (Haswell). It's not like Skylake is twice as fast as Haswell, so there is no particular need for additional bandwidth. The "scaling" (in games?) you refer to probably has to do with latency. The baseline DDR4-2133 (CAS15) JEDEC timings are quite loose compared to OC, but quad-channel memory won't help latency. In fact, I would expect latency on Skylake-X/SP to be worse than client, as was the case in previous generations.

Skylake/Kabylake is . . . different. Might be something in the way they changed cache latency from Haswell and Broadwell to Skylake, I don't know. Latency reductions don't seem to match the performance gains that can be had from moving up to DDR4-2400 (or higher) on Skylake/Kabylake. Beyond that it's a tradeoff between timings and effective clockspeed.

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
With 3200 currently being the most used, I wonder what the sweetspot will be for SKL-X. 3466 or 3600 perhaps? And no, latency doesn't seem to have as much impact as it used to have. Frequency is the most important.

WingZero30

May 1, 2017
Disappointing if those prices are true especially for higher core parts. Would have expected some price reductions on these when threadripper is looming about.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Disappointing if those prices are true especially for higher core parts. Would have expected some price reductions on these when threadripper is looming about.

Those prices kind of look identical to the launch prices of the old SKUs they replace. Seriously, it's like someone slotted in the previous SKU MSRP's and called it a day.

They look like placeholder prices.