Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 80 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 11, 2008
This is exactly what's been happening for the past few years. We went from a 35W chip to a 15W one that essentially performs the same, since Core i5/i7 chips in 2011!

People really think they'd be upgrading Core i5 4200U devices that cost them a grand+ for 20% extra performance? Really? If it offers a jump similar from Core 2 Duo to a Core i7 6700K to consider replacing my Core i7 3517U XPS 12, while expecting the device to be significantly lighter, thinner, and better battery life. Looking at how slow progress is and every year its getting slower, that's not going to happen until 2025 at the earliest.

I do seem to recall some slides showing lower power, non-HT mobile quads, which I think Intel definitely needs. There is a big gap between 15 watt dual cores and the full on mobile quads, which are almost as powerful as desktop chips. OTOH, I am not sure what application most ultrabook users would be running that requires more power than Broadwell U, except for gaming, and I think we are still a long ways away from that in anything close to a 15 watt envelope.

csbin

Feb 4, 2013
DDR4 3800MHZ!!!

CPU:skylake quad core 4GHz
MEM:DDR4 3800MHz 4G*2 C18-18-18-38 VCCSA 1.20V VDIMM 1.35V

http://www.coolaler.com/showthread.php/329165

1541yf.jpg

Aug 11, 2008
I'm sure you will see plenty of designs using Skylake in the market soon enough :)

Crossing my fingers for a Retina MacBook Air...

I actually am more a fan of the surface pro, but it is simply too expensive. You still have to pay extra for the keyboard, right? I saw a really sweet system in Costco, but it was well over 1000.00 with the keyboard and accessories. I actually bought my grandson a gaming laptop for less than the surface pro would have cost. The new surface 3 looks nice too, but I would not pay 400.00 for any device with atom in it. I have a cheap bay trail tablet, and it is OK for less than a hundred bucks, but Cherry Trail is a big disappointment in cpu performance, and definitely too slow for an uplevel device like the Surface. In fact I think MS is taking a big risk of damaging the brand by using Atom.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
So...if one gets excited about mobile chips Skylake is awesome....

If one gets excited building their own desktop beasts, Skylake is 11% more awesome. (In marketing terms)

And the much improved battery life on the desktop will be greatly appreciated. You know how many penlight batteries it takes to keep my 750G2 fed? Yes, you do, because you're so awesome! Looking forward to finally being able to charge my desktop wirelessly. Won't have to drag my Tesla coil all around the house. Thanks, Intel!

And I can throw away my dGPUs because Intel graphics marketing slides are even more awesome!

And more awesomeness, can expect a much improved touch experience with my mouse!

And audio - I can throw away thousands of $$ in external Pro DACs/amps/DAWs/VSTs/NLEs, because Skylake is so much better!

And I will talk better with your improved speech capabilities! Yay! Stupid Neumann and Schoeps have no place in the 14nm DSP world.

Most importantly, thank you, Intel, for enthusiastic support for enthusiasts!

You realize you're years too late to crash the iProfit party - screw Apple - now you can focus your chip chops on the remaining loyal desktop enthusiast customers. All 150,000 of us! You're just so awesome!

PS - Will we be able to overclock the wireless charging to match our 6Ghz overclocked Skylake desktops, with count 'em F O U R Cores?

PPS - Will your supply channel for Skylake-S (S stands for SuperDuper-Sky-is-the-limit Super Overclocking) match the great efficiency you achieved with your ample Broadwell-C global product supply?

PPPS - All those wimpy chips for mobile devices was a typo, right? Just leftover copy from 2010 -`You love enthusiasts more than the throngs of throw-away gadgeteers, yes?

That has got to take the *rant of the year* award. - Like, im not quite sure what you are selling, but im buying!

Mar 10, 2006
I actually am more a fan of the surface pro, but it is simply too expensive. You still have to pay extra for the keyboard, right? I saw a really sweet system in Costco, but it was well over 1000.00 with the keyboard and accessories. I actually bought my grandson a gaming laptop for less than the surface pro would have cost. The new surface 3 looks nice too, but I would not pay 400.00 for any device with atom in it. I have a cheap bay trail tablet, and it is OK for less than a hundred bucks, but Cherry Trail is a big disappointment in cpu performance, and definitely too slow for an uplevel device like the Surface. In fact I think MS is taking a big risk of damaging the brand by using Atom.

Surface 3 seems snappy enough to me (although I have only used the in-store display models; I don't own one myself).

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
ClockHound, that was classic. Yeah, so hard to get excited about what Intel is doing these days. Enthusiasts have been getting left in the dust since Intel limited bus overclocking to certain platforms and 2 unlocked CPUs per generation (G3258 only exception).

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
they could stay status quo on the performance side for my sake, just make it NOT throttle! I'd get a 14" surface pro with that.

+1
I hope Skylake-Y's Core M improved long-term performance. 17% CPU & 41% iGPU bump (same number of EUs as Broadwell-Y) is more than I expected, probably the result of higher base clocks + higher sustained Turbo clocks under load. Improved performance coupled with the platform advancements listed should make a compelling platform.

Apple will start a big push for premium 12'' tablets later this year (iPad Pro). Intel and Microsoft need a strong Skylake-Y + Windows 10 combo.

ShintaiDK said:
Nice find Sweepr!

Aracnothronic said:
Great slides. I'm pumped!

tential said:
Thanks sweepr for that post. I'm so excited that I waited to get a laptop. Haha noooo I'm going to be broke at this rate

September/October can't come soon enough, mobile Skylake is looking very tempting. :)
Bring on Microsoft, Apple, ASUS, HP, Dell and others!

Untitled-1_zpsff7grdoy.jpg

Untitled-333_zpsnep4acoa.jpg

Untitled24242-1_zpszbvd9xtj.jpg

And since there are 35W quads at 2+ Ghz... When we will see the 15w quads at at least 1.6 Ghz?

Not sure about 15W but I'm hoping there will be at least a few low-clocked quad-cores this year or next. Skylake-H 4C+GT4e is raising the bar at 45W (CPU bump + 50% better graphics than Broadwell-H 4C+GT3e) and there will be 35W 2.8GHz (3.6GHz Turbo) Skylake-S 4C+GT2, maybe it's time for a 28W 1.8-2.4GHz base clock Skylake 4C+GT2 designed for thin/light yet powerful business laptops.

Last edited:

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
That has got to take the *rant of the year* award. - Like, im not quite sure what you are selling, but im buying!

Not sure either. ;-)

But, maybe I'm nostalgic for those great 32nm Intel launches where the focus was on raw power. Desktop power! With a tiny little bullet point about the neutered laptop chips designed only for emergency use when a proper desktop wasn't available.

Sadly, it was during this golden era of overclocking mojo that Apple was building the walls around its poisoned garden of tedium. Soon the world would be embracing an era of personal mobile distraction where not-really-good-enough would be enough to launch a new era of clueless consumerism.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
People really think they'd be upgrading Core i5 4200U devices that cost them a grand+ for 20% extra performance? Really? If it offers a jump similar from Core 2 Duo to a Core i7 6700K to consider replacing my Core i7 3517U XPS 12, while expecting the device to be significantly lighter, thinner, and better battery life. Looking at how slow progress is and every year its getting slower, that's not going to happen until 2025 at the earliest.

Later this year 15W Skylake-U GT3e will be able to offer better CPU + graphics performance than the 17W Core i7 3517U + 15W Geforce GT620M (GF117) inside my ASUS ultrabook. Battery life gain should be great too.

There's many interesting Skylake SKUs that could justify an upgrade (at least for me).

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
So...if one gets excited about mobile chips Skylake is awesome....

If one gets excited building their own desktop beasts, Skylake is 11% more awesome. (In marketing terms)

And the much improved battery life on the desktop will be greatly appreciated. You know how many penlight batteries it takes to keep my 750G2 fed? Yes, you do, because you're so awesome! Looking forward to finally being able to charge my desktop wirelessly. Won't have to drag my Tesla coil all around the house. Thanks, Intel!

And I can throw away my dGPUs because Intel graphics marketing slides are even more awesome!

And more awesomeness, can expect a much improved touch experience with my mouse!

And audio - I can throw away thousands of $$ in external Pro DACs/amps/DAWs/VSTs/NLEs, because Skylake is so much better!

And I will talk better with your improved speech capabilities! Yay! Stupid Neumann and Schoeps have no place in the 14nm DSP world.

Most importantly, thank you, Intel, for enthusiastic support for enthusiasts!

You realize you're years too late to crash the iProfit party - screw Apple - now you can focus your chip chops on the remaining loyal desktop enthusiast customers. All 150,000 of us! You're just so awesome!

PS - Will we be able to overclock the wireless charging to match our 6Ghz overclocked Skylake desktops, with count 'em F O U R Cores?

PPS - Will your supply channel for Skylake-S (S stands for SuperDuper-Sky-is-the-limit Super Overclocking) match the great efficiency you achieved with your ample Broadwell-C global product supply?

PPPS - All those wimpy chips for mobile devices was a typo, right? Just leftover copy from 2010 -`You love enthusiasts more than the throngs of throw-away gadgeteers, yes?

I came here for some ClockHound awesome sauce, and I am pleased to find myself leaving with said sauce. Well said, good sir.

Note to Intel: hire this guy and put his (then, post-hire) self-deprecating wit to excellent use in your marketing department with the hope that it becomes contagious across your engineering management teams...for you are lacking a muse at what could possibly be your witching hour.

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
"Surface 3 seems snappy enough to me"
- Seems? Really?

I fiddled a bit with a friend's Surface 3 and I too was surprised by the response times, much better than I would have thought.

Having said that I didn't put it to any computational heavy tasks, the most arduous thing I asked of it was to play 720p Game of Throne MKV files, which it did flawlessly.

If & when Intel update the CPU performance of the Atom powering Surface, it would be a very handy device.

It may already be a very handy device, but I am still a bit skeptical about the CPU prowess of Cherrytrail.

Oct 6, 2014
Yes please. I did a few days ago a full world recompile due to gcc-5.2.0. Here are my times:
* sys-devel/gcc
Tue Jul 21 15:42:35 2015 >>> sys-devel/gcc-5.2.0
merge time: 39 minutes and 27 seconds.

* www-client/chromium
Sat Jul 18 09:48:04 2015 >>> www-client/chromium-44.0.2403.89
merge time: 1 hour, 37 minutes.

* app-office/libreoffice
Sat Jul 18 06:42:14 2015 >>> app-office/libreoffice-4.4.4.3
merge time: 1 hour, 39 minutes and 51 seconds.

* www-client/firefox
Sat Jul 18 03:12:39 2015 >>> www-client/firefox-39.0
merge time: 15 minutes and 45 seconds.

Here are mine, I'm on stable so, I don' t have gcc 5 yet. I use a ramdisk in /var/tmp/portage .Also my compilation flags are: -O2 -march=core-avx2 -pipe

* sys-devel/gcc
Sat Jun 6 11:14:05 2015 >>> sys-devel/gcc-4.8.4
merge time: 12 minutes and 30 seconds.

* www-client/chromium
Thu Jul 2 15:34:04 2015 >>> www-client/chromium-43.0.2357.130
merge time: 1 hour, 12 minutes and 16 seconds.

* www-client/firefox
Sat Jun 6 12:46:03 2015 >>> www-client/firefox-31.7.0
merge time: 13 minutes and 39 seconds.

As you can see, not a lot of difference. My 4790K is at stock. I haven't measured the effect of the compilation flags though.

tenks

Apr 26, 2007
HEDT has always been a generation behind.

2016 will be Broadwell-E and Kabylake/Lake (Skylake Refresh).
2017 will be Skylake-E and Cannonlake.

As I said before, HEDT offers more lanes and more cores. This matters if you run multi-threaded applications or are a SLI/CrossFire user. Otherwise, it's pretty much a draw. Most will take the ~7%+ improvement and lower power usage of the newest generation.

Yes I know but like I said, in a few weeks it will be 2 generations behind and for good qtr+ too. I don't suspect you to know my situation but I've posted about it several times. I shoot and edit 4k for a living. Been eying to build a haswell-e rig for awhile. I actually need the extra cores. Part of me wants to see how a 4 core skylake stacks up. Either way, I still don't know if I want to invest in x99 with only a year or so left. Broadwell-E delay f'd up the decision.

Mar 10, 2006
Yes I know but like I said, in a few weeks it will be 2 generations behind and for good qtr+ too. I don't suspect you to know my situation but I've posted about it several times. I shoot and edit 4k for a living. Been eying to build a haswell-e rig for awhile. I actually need the extra cores. Part of me wants to see how a 4 core skylake stacks up. Either way, I still don't know if I want to invest in x99 with only a year or so left. Broadwell-E delay f'd up the decision.

If you need it for your work, then I'd say you should buy when you need it.

Nothing wrong with Haswell-E today; they're really fantastic chips.

costel78

Sep 6, 2010
Here are mine, I'm on stable so, I don' t have gcc 5 yet. I use a ramdisk in /var/tmp/portage .Also my compilation flags are: -O2 -march=core-avx2 -pipe

* sys-devel/gcc
Sat Jun 6 11:14:05 2015 >>> sys-devel/gcc-4.8.4
merge time: 12 minutes and 30 seconds.

* www-client/chromium
Thu Jul 2 15:34:04 2015 >>> www-client/chromium-43.0.2357.130
merge time: 1 hour, 12 minutes and 16 seconds.

* www-client/firefox
Sat Jun 6 12:46:03 2015 >>> www-client/firefox-31.7.0
merge time: 13 minutes and 39 seconds.

As you can see, not a lot of difference. My 4790K is at stock. I haven't measured the effect of the compilation flags though.

Not a lot at all, indeed.
Considering I am using lto and graphite: CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -march=native -w -fuse-linker-plugin -flto=4 -fipa-icf -fuse-ld=gold -floop-interchange -ftree-loop-distribution -floop-strip-mine -floop-block" and difference between gcc-5* and gcc-4* in my case is ~10-12 minutes.
Oh, and for gcc I am also using GCC_MAKE_TARGET="profiledbootstrap" which add at least 25% compile time things are not looking good at all...
I am also using tmpfs for /var/tmp/portage.

Well, no video card, much better I/O and up to 1.5 CPU improvement if I am lucky, that's all I will gain along with peace in mind for another 5-6 years. :hmm: :\

Thank you!

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
I do seem to recall some slides showing lower power, non-HT mobile quads, which I think Intel definitely needs.

I think that's not enough. In some ways it might turn out to be a downgrade from the dual core, and end up exactly like the Nehalem mobiles, which were 10-15% faster than the duals due to thermal limits heavily limiting clocks.

By the way, there is a reason to upgrade, because my 2600K desktop is surely lot more responsive than the Core i7 3517U Ultrabook. Being more "responsive" is clearly the only thing I need, and likely for lot of people. I just noticed in Bench that the reason I did not feel 2600K being an improvement over i5 661 is because the single thread improvement is only 30%.

Minimum for an upgrade: 50-60%(single thread), which means with current 5%/year improvement, takes 10 Ticks and Tocks from Ivy Bridge, which turns out to be about 2025. Really, this is probably my acceptable bar for a Desktop that will cost me $500 for an upgrade.

To justify spending on a $1000+ laptop though, it should be 100%, or I guess about 15 generations. I guess in about 2030 I'll think of changing it.

Later this year 15W Skylake-U GT3e will be able to offer better CPU + graphics performance than the 17W Core i7 3517U + 15W Geforce GT620M (GF117) inside my ASUS ultrabook. Battery life gain should be great too.
You are different, but for me I really can't see why you'd spend that much for an upgrade that'll end up mostly on graphics that'll merely be acceptable. The point of going integrated graphics should have been to save significant amounts of money and get battery life advantage. The only real advantage of the GT3e U is for those that goes for portability as #1, and the graphics is still barely acceptable.

Since the U chips can't offer #1 portability and the systems are outrageously expensive, the GPU performance should be GT4e Quad level. GT3e would be ok at $599-699 devices.

It doesn't matter whether Moore's Law is at an end, or they are having real trouble with next process generation, or that ILP limits are reached. Whatever. As a customer it needs to be drastically better.

Sweepr said:
I hope Skylake-Y's Core M improved long-term performance. 17% CPU & 41% iGPU bump (same number of EUs as Broadwell-Y) is more than I expected, probably the result of higher base clocks + higher sustained Turbo clocks under load

I hope that its lot better than this. Let's extrapolate. Original claims of Intel said 2.5 points in Cinebench R11.5 for Core M, and most devices turned out to be 1.8-2.0. 17% faster means 2.1 to 2.3. While the Chi is quite exceptional in terms of performance and price, most are not. Best case 2.3 points for average devices mean 2016 Skylake Y is still slower than a Core i5 from 2012, and other benchmarks reflect that. That's quite sad. Review also point out that Broadwell U is the more efficient part in terms of battery life.

Sustained performance
Meh: 2.1 to 2.3(Extrapolated Skylake Y based on current systems)
Acceptable: 2.5-2.7(Original claim of Broadwell Y)
Very Good: 1.17 x 2.5-2.7

Last edited:

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Intel is quoting SpecInt2006_Rate_Base, which means its likely in an ideal multi-threaded benchmark, it'll perform 11-17% faster depending on the variant.

Turbo clocks for the 4790 is 3.8GHz at 4 cores and 6700 is 3.7GHz at 4 cores. So its a perf/clock advantage of 14%. That alone is not bad. But again its Spec.

For battery life on the Core M, they are claiming 19x12 system with 35WHr battery having 1.4 hours more on 1080p playback. Ultrabookreview of the Core M systems show 1080p playback battery ranging from 4 hours to 6 hours. 5.4 to 7.4 hours is still not impressive at all.

Only one Broadwell Y system does anything remotely close to the 8.5 hour figure with 1080p playback and 35WHr battery. And then its about 7.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
I wonder if Skylake will split the i3's again; for Haswell:

i3 4170 @ 3.7GHz | 3MB cache | HD 4400

i3 4370 @ 3.8GHz | 4MB cache | HD 4600 (assuming you can find one, no one stocks them here now at least)

And for those still on i3 2100's, the i3 4170 gets nearly 2000 more marks (faster than a stock Q6600), 11% on top that isn't too bad for a mid range box for a Skylake i3.

That aside Skylake is interesting for the chipsets - Intel has finally pumped up DMI and the stack of new ports for those coming from older Core 2 crap. The rest meh. Why isn't the 6700 non K running at 3.6GHz but 3.4GHz? Will there be a 6771 that runs at 3.5GHz like the 4770 non K spasticness?

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
I hope that its lot better than this. Let's extrapolate. Original claims of Intel said 2.5 points in Cinebench R11.5 for Core M, and most devices turned out to be 1.8-2.0. 17% faster means 2.1 to 2.3. While the Chi is quite exceptional in terms of performance and price, most are not. Best case 2.3 points for average devices mean 2016 Skylake Y is still slower than a Core i5 from 2012, and other benchmarks reflect that. That's quite sad. Review also point out that Broadwell U is the more efficient part in terms of battery life.

Sustained performance
Meh: 2.1 to 2.3(Extrapolated Skylake Y based on current systems)
Acceptable: 2.5-2.7(Original claim of Broadwell Y)
Very Good: 1.17 x 2.5-2.7

Again, Broadwell-Y Core M's performance varies greatly depending on the device.
ASUS T300 Chi for example scores 2.64 @ CB 11.5 64-bit running a Core M-5Y71. The same chip inside Lenovo ThinkPad Helix 2 scores 2.04.
Based on this it's hard to make a meaningful prediction about Skylake-Y's Core M but I'm hoping it delivers more consistent performance across different devices on top of 'up to 17% & 41% faster' (CPU & iGPU) performance bump. Considering it's the same proccess, looks like an impressive achievement.

Last edited:

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
I came here for some ClockHound awesome sauce, and I am pleased to find myself leaving with said sauce. Well said, good sir.

Note to Intel: hire this guy and put his (then, post-hire) self-deprecating wit to excellent use in your marketing department with the hope that it becomes contagious across your engineering management teams...for you are lacking a muse at what could possibly be your witching hour.

Ah..thanks IDC. So...your shadow exec position at AMD is a go then? :biggrin: