Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake / Coffee Lake Thread - Skylake-X reviews out (page 501)

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by Sweepr, Apr 16, 2015.

1. TheF34RChannel

Well said! That is precisely what I am aiming for. Coming from an i5 today I will see the biggest advancement from a 7820X in having HT back. Tomorrow is entirely different ball game where more cores may come in handy (all referring to gaming) - things like Civilization eat up more cores like it's nothing, for example.

I went and checked prices on the now previous HEDT SKUs from release to today in a graph and there wasn't much difference aside from the expected minor ups and downs. So I unfortunately have to agree with you.

2. ManyThreads

ManyThreads Member

What problems are you referring to? You can already use RAM up to 4000 Mhz. I'm not aware of any other issues that aren't simply design choices to reflect the low prices. A family member has had Ryzen since release day and has had zero stability/reliability issues with both CPU and RAM overclocked. I have been doing dozens of hours of research on Ryzen since release and *almost* bought one until Skylake-X got bumped up to June. If I had to wait until August I would have still gone Ryzen. This is assuming benchmarks and OC potential are as expected of course. I think Ryzen announced one month too early, but it was fully functional/stable from day one and AMD did a pretty phenomenal job getting updates out in a timely manner for OCers and enthusiasts.

scannall likes this.
  3. krumme

krumme Diamond Member

I didnt worry for your physical health - after all you dont smoke and drink :)
    Upgrading/changing is fine and all but there is other ways.

4. TheF34RChannel

Any idea when board and chip reviews come in?

5. formulav8

formulav8 Diamond Member

Most likely when the CPU's can be reviewed, unless you mean chipset overviews. Intel will allow full reviews with CPU reviews the end of next month IIRC.

6. krumme

krumme Diamond Member

Get the gear on launch day ! :)
    Be the first to get a 7820x.

7. Sweepr

Sweepr Diamond Member

June 11/12 according to BenchLife.

formulav8 likes this.
  8. TheF34RChannel

See below. Also, usually availability is low and prices stupidly high here the first few weeks+ where I live.

Thanks, that would be great to have reviews out before we can obtain them. I don't like to buy blindly and purely on specs and expectations.

9. formulav8

formulav8 Diamond Member

I was a few days off then. Not sure why I thought end of June. Thanks for posting.

10. IndyColtsFan

IndyColtsFan Lifer

I'm thinking that if AMD gets overly aggressive with pricing, Intel has room to drop their prices. Yeah, they'll still be higher than the equivalent AMD CPU but the premium will be smaller. I could see Intel drop the 10 core to $899 or maybe even $850.

I've got a Ryzen setup too (went with a 1500x because I needed a cheap second gaming system fast), and I can see myself upgrading to a 1700 soon given the sales I've seen.

11. IndyColtsFan

IndyColtsFan Lifer

I think the end of June is supposed to be when they're available in retail.

formulav8 likes this.
  12. AdamK47

AdamK47 Lifer

When will that be? Has Intel officially announced it?

13. cytg111

cytg111 Diamond Member

I still struggle to find need for more than 4/8 in anything not encoding... maybe that will change now that the core race is on.

14. TheF34RChannel

Says Q2: http://ark.intel.com/products/family/123588/Intel-Core-X-series-Processors

That's what I'm expecting as well. Remember we used to think and say we didn't need more than 2C ;) additionally, for gaming, consoles have 8C. Could be just useful for streamers etc.

15. TahoeDust

TahoeDust Member

So, what retailers usually have the best launch availability? Do many take preorders? I have a lot of backed up upgrade aggression.

16. AdamK47

AdamK47 Lifer

17. Arachnotronic

The good news is that Q2 ends on June 30 :)

18. Arachnotronic

Honestly, I doubt it. AMD is pushing this "more cores" thing and Intel has to respond, so it's bringing in traditionally server-oriented SKUs to the enthusiast market so that AMD doesn't get a marketing edge.

For most tasks outside of encoding, 7700K is the way to go.

frozentundra123456 and formulav8 like this.
  19. TahoeDust

TahoeDust Member

Damn...the closest one is about 6 hours away. I remember you from ls1gto...still have the car?

20. moonbogg

moonbogg Diamond Member

The lack of solder has really cooled my jets regarding this release. I was prone to doing something impulsive on release day. I said "was". Now I will simply have to see how these chips perform thermally under a high OC. I'm having thoughts of an 8 core skylake@4.6 hitting upper 70's low 80's while just gaming under custom water. That simply won't do it for me. I don't like the idea of de-lidding. Intel has a performance tuning protection plan, not a disassemble and insert your own goo protection plan. I'd consider bare die cooling, but I think bare die cooling can also lead to bare die cracking. Oh wells. Guess they pasted these fancy new chips. Too bad.

beginner99 likes this.
  21. Sweepr

Sweepr Diamond Member

June 26.

22. AdamK47

AdamK47 Lifer

Sold it. Bought an SS (another Holden).

Nice! Thanks.

scannall likes this.
  23. Insomniator

Insomniator Diamond Member

I'll jump on a 6 or 8 core if/when Microcenter has a deal (20 mins away) and I decide to upgrade my 2500k.

Might be a while though... can't think of one good reason to upgrade.

24. formulav8

formulav8 Diamond Member

Ahh ok thanks.

25. formulav8

formulav8 Diamond Member

IIRC its an 8 core AMD CPU but just 6 cores are available for game programmers. Either way, it is surely nice the main consoles have multi-core AMD.