Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 454 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Xeons have turbos in the 3.2-3.6GHz range.

Based on SiSoftware entries Skylake-SP MCC/HCC has Turbo clock speeds in the 3.7-3.8 GHz range.

All-core turbo is only a few hundred MHz above base. So under 3GHz for a 2.5Ghz 18 core.

Please do some basic research first, will save you from embarrassment .145W Xeon E5-2697 v4 on an inferior version of Intel's 14nm proccess already does 2.8 GHz on all cores. Base clock for 18C Skylake-SP is 2.7/3.0 GHz, while the 28C halo product is 2.5 GHz. There's no reason to expect less than 3 GHz all-core Turbo for a 165W Core i9-7980XE @ 14nm+. More than enough to secure the performance lead for Intel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arachnotronic
Mar 10, 2006
Based on SiSoftware entries Skylake-SP MCC/HCC has Turbo clock speeds in the 3.7-3.8 GHz range.

Please do some basic research first, will save you from more embarrassment .145W Xeon E5-2697 v4 on an inferior version of Intel's 14nm proccess already does 2.8 GHz on all cores. Base clock for 18C Skylake-SP is 2.7/3.0 GHz, while the 28C halo product is 2.5 GHz. There's no reason to expect less than 3 GHz all-core Turbo for a 165W Core i9-7980XE @ 14nm+. More than enough to secure the performance lead for Intel.

I seriously doubt that Intel would release the 7980XE if it didn't clock reasonably well and also have good OC potential. Not sure why some people are downplaying this chip.

Hopefully they are cherry picking the CPUs with the best frequency potential from the Xeon lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sweepr

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017

Please do some basic research first, will save you from embarrassment .145W Xeon E5-2697 v4 on an inferior version of Intel's 14nm proccess already does 2.8 GHz on all cores. Base clock for 18C Skylake-SP is 2.7/3.0 GHz, while the 28C halo product is 2.5 GHz. There's no reason to expect less than 3 GHz all-core Turbo for a 165W Core i9-7980XE @ 14nm+. More than enough to secure the performance lead for Intel.
I'm talking about existing products, if you are incapable of understanding the context of the discussion that is.

Hwbot results show negligible IPC gains over Broadwell-E.

Reactions: Drazick

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Hopefully they are cherry picking the CPUs with the best frequency potential from the Xeon lot.

I wouldn't be surprised if Core i9-7980XE ends up more agressively clocked than its Xeon equivalent. They set the bar very high with 4.5 GHz Turbo 3.0 for Core i9-7820X/7900X, and people won't be happy if the cheaper models are faster in any way (at stock).

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
I seriously doubt that Intel would release the 7980XE if it didn't clock reasonably well and also have good OC potential. Not sure why some people are downplaying this chip.

Its much faster than the 6950 it replaces and it expands the portfolio. Plenty reason to replace it. I dont hink oc plays an important part as seen by the tim and why bin for a lesser margin product?

blue11

May 11, 2017
https://www.pugetsystems.com/blog/2...-What-You-See-Is-Not-Always-What-You-Get-675/

I wonder why I have to post this link every few pages. Nothing ever runs at base frequency, so stop talking about it!

Xeon E5-2697 V4 18 2.3GHz 2.8GHz 3.6GHz

This exact same Broadwell chip would probably reach 3 GHz if allowed to run at 165 W instead of 145 W. With a process improvement, 3 GHz turbo will be trivial. TIM should be usable up to 205 W (Phi and Xeon Platinum), so 3.5 GHz should be attainable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sweepr and tamz_msc

blue11

May 11, 2017
But that is with more than the 145W TDP, so for short intervals only, not for heavy duty MT tasks.
Most workloads, even "MT," do not cause the CPU to draw 100% of TDP. Server BIOSes are typically configured to allow the CPU to run at the highest frequency that remains under TDP, which is the full turbo frequency for almost every workload. Heavy vector workloads can cause fallback to base or AVX-base frequencies, but why complain about doing 4x, 8x, etc. the work in each cycle?

Last edited:
Reactions: pcp7

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
https://www.pugetsystems.com/blog/2...-What-You-See-Is-Not-Always-What-You-Get-675/

I wonder why I have to post this link every few pages. Nothing ever runs at base frequency, so stop talking about it!

Xeon E5-2697 V4 18 2.3GHz 2.8GHz 3.6GHz

This exact same Broadwell chip would probably reach 3 GHz if allowed to run at 165 W instead of 145 W. With a process improvement, 3 GHz turbo will be trivial. TIM should be usable up to 205 W (Phi and Xeon Platinum), so 3.5 GHz should be attainable.
That's all dandy but people who want both high clocks and more cores don't go for Xeons, especially now when BCLK overclocking is restricted. That was my point when I said in reply to the other poster that Xeons and HEDT aren't interchangeable, unless you are going to save a couple of hundred dollars looking for a particular SKU.

wildhorse2k

May 12, 2017
For me, that just proves your fanboi nature.

No brand new platform (not a rehash or iteration) arrives with rock-solid stability.

I want a decent product for the money I spend. Regardless if it costs $1000 or $400. Regardless if its Ryzen, Threadripper or Skylake-X. I don't accept bad quality as I would not be happy, sell it and buy other product. It make more sense to wait and buy the best product. You are nothing but a troll.

Literally any memory speed outside of JEDEC qualifications is a BIOS option. People are now reporting dual-rank at 3200MHz/single rank 3200MHz and all 4 DIMMs with 1.0.0.6. B350 and X370 both have OC memory support, depending on the manufacturer - on Intel only Z-series motherboards allow XMP, and even 4GHz+ is not guaranteed without the highest-end motherboards like Asus Maximus.

There are literally dozens of people on these forums who have positive things to say about how the memory issue was handled by AMD over the past three months.

Seriously either you have no clue what you're talking about or your bias is undeniable.

On the contrary I read a lot about Ryzen. More than average consumer.

Here is a quote for you from a Ryzen user on reddit:

my main usage is gaming, with some editing on the side, for this an 8 core is ideal.

I bought an it 1800x and have had nothing but issues, memory compatability, crashes, overall just headaches.

hence why it's gone back to Amazon and I'm returning to intel, the 8 core will offer superior performance in games, both multithreaded and single threaded, and superior performance in multithreaded tasking than the 1800x did, without any of the headaches I've had.

I see such messages every day. I then report to others about what I read and get called a fanboi, biased etc. It's all coming from Ryzen users....

Reactions: CHADBOGA and Sweepr

blue11

May 11, 2017
That's all dandy but people who want both high clocks and more cores don't go for Xeons, especially now when BCLK overclocking is restricted. That was my point when I said in reply to the other poster that Xeons and HEDT aren't interchangeable, unless you are going to save a couple of hundred dollars looking for a particular SKU.
Where do you think HEDT CPUs come from? Intel is using the same TIM on every product in their line, including 260 W Xeon Phi parts. At 145 W, Broadwell-EP can already achieve 2.8 GHz. With OC to 260 W and some process improvements, i9-9280XE will be reaching 3.6-3.7 GHz. In fact, I see an 18C Xeon-SP SKU at 3.0 GHz base frequency and 205 W TDP, so it is pretty much confirmed. There is not even a regression in single-thread performance thanks to Turbo Boost 3.0, which makes it easy for Intel to claim 4.5 GHz turbo on every part. In fact, the more cores there are, the easier it will be for Intel to find two that will run at high frequency.

Are you just complaining that delidding will be needed to have 5 GHz on every single core? Nobody actually needs that, and the only reason to OC that far is to make some kind of statement, sort of like the folks that modify diesel engines to maximize pollution.

F-450_coal_rolling_Monster.jpg

Sure, TIM is disappointing, but it is not like Zen is going to break the 4 GHz barrier anytime soon.

Last edited:

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
On the contrary I read a lot about Ryzen. More than average consumer.

Here is a quote for you from a Ryzen user on reddit:
*SNIP*
I see such messages every day. I then report to others about what I read and get called a fanboi, biased etc. It's all coming from Ryzen users....
For every negative user experience you find about Ryzen, I can find a positive one. There was a post here in these forums by someone who somehow managed to kill three 6850Ks. Does that make Broadwell-E a crap product? Even someone like JayzTwoCents who used to be like the biggest Intel fanboy ever has said that he would never have got his 6950X if it was not sponsored and has been very impressed with his 1800X.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Where do you think HEDT CPUs come from? Intel is using the same TIM on every product in their line, including 260 W Xeon Phi parts. At 145 W, Broadwell-EP can already achieve 2.8 GHz. With OC to 260 W and some process improvements, i9-9280XE will be reaching 3.6-3.7 GHz. In fact, I see an 18C Xeon-SP SKU at 3.0 GHz base frequency and 205 W TDP, so it is pretty much confirmed. There is not even a regression in single-thread performance thanks to Turbo Boost 3.0, which makes it easy for Intel to claim 4.5 GHz turbo on every part. In fact, the more cores there are, the easier it will be for Intel to find two that will run at high frequency.

Are you just complaining that delidding will be needed to have 5 GHz on every single core? Nobody actually needs that, and the only reason to OC that far is to make some kind of statement, sort of like the folks that modify diesel engines to maximize pollution.

F-450_coal_rolling_Monster.jpg
All I'm saying that given the 6950X which does 4.3GHz at 1.3V which is soldered, 4.5GHz which is the Turbo 2.0 speed of the 7900X, meaning that it will at least OC to that on all cores, won't possibly be as stable and the culprit might turn out to be the use of TIM.

That is a turnoff for potential Skylake-X buyers. And when it comes to power consumption, not TDP, the 6950X already exceeds 200W.

Plus there is also the fact that IPC hasn't increased by much at all.

blue11

May 11, 2017
All I'm saying that given the 6950X which does 4.3GHz at 1.3V which is soldered, 4.5GHz which is the Turbo 2.0 speed of the 7900X, meaning that it will at least OC to that on all cores, won't possibly be as stable and the culprit might turn out to be the use of TIM.
4.5 GHz is the Turbo 3.0 speed. Turbo 2.0 is 4.3 GHz. Again, I see no need to have 4+ GHz on every single core. It serves no useful purpose when you can just get more cores instead. The worst I forsee is that enthusiasts will have to get used to having different OC frequencies for different active core counts, just like how the stock CPU runs. Not even solder is going to make 18 cores at 5 GHz a useful operating scenario (unless you just want to roll coal).

That is a turnoff for potential Skylake-X buyers. And when it comes to power consumption, not TDP, the 6950X already exceeds 200W.
If power is not being consumed at the CPU package, it does not matter for cooling, so why are you bringing it up? As far as your claim goes, I see power consumption at 145 W in Tom's Hardware. That is wall power, so the package power is actually below TDP. If you are going to make some inane energy efficiency claim based on overclocking, I can also point out that you can force a i7-7700K to draw over 1 kW on liquid nitrogen.

Plus there is also the fact that IPC hasn't increased by much at all.
IPC has increased by as much as Broadwell-U/S to Skylake-U/S. Why would you expect anything else?

Last edited:

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
If power is not being consumed at the CPU package, it does not matter for cooling, so why are you bringing it up?
It does exceed 200W. Burning through AVX2 Prime95 but still. Source
...our guidelines are to keep full-load temperatures under 80 Celsius and power consumption under 2 x stock TDP, whichever comes first.
IPC has increased by as much as Broadwell-U/S to Skylake-U/S. Why would you expect anything else?
hwbot submissions suggest otherwise. I'm not pulling this out of thin air. Plus Intels own 10/15% result with +/- 5 or 7% uncertainty.

blue11

May 11, 2017
It does exceed 200W. Burning through AVX2 Prime95 but still. Source
If you are going to make some inane energy efficiency claim based on overclocking, I can also point out that you can force a i7-7700K to draw over 1 kW on liquid nitrogen.

hwbot submissions suggest otherwise. I'm not pulling this out of thin air.
Better tell Google how bad the IPC is on their new chips. Some overclocking clown in Taiwan knows something they don't (hint: uncore)!

P.S. You can also overclock the uncore.

Last edited:

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
The lack of solder has put me off considering a Skylake X (which, realistically, I wouldn't have bought into anyway).

Coffee lake 6c/12t on 14nm++, though - I like the idea of aiming for a 5Ghz OC. :cool:

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
If you are going to make some inane energy efficiency claim based on overclocking, I can also point out that you can force a i7-7700K to draw over 1 kW on liquid nitrogen.
I'm making no claims about energy efficiency, just that there are people who do overclock and the TIM might be a problem. Why is it so hard to understand.
Better tell Google about how bad the IPC is on their new chips. Some overclocking clown in Taiwan knows something they don't (hint: uncore)!
Pretty sure that Google doesn't pay ark prices for their chips. And Uncore does nothing for the most part except waste power on Broadwell-E.

That clown you refer to helps Asus design their boards.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I was watching this video of an I9 delidding and was unsettled when they revealed that it has a RFID chip on the pcb.