Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 11, 2008
Nice if true, but too late for me. I just bought a haswell laptop for my grandson's high school graduation with a discrete gpu for moderate gaming. Would have rather gone with an igp, but 35w Kaveri is MIA as well as anything decent for even low end gaming from Intel. I was hoping by now there would be some GT3e models available cheaper than a model with a discrete card.

I wonder how reliable this roadmap is though. After the fits and starts and repeated delays of broadwell, I will believe it when the actual chips are available.

Last edited:

bullzz

Jul 12, 2013
right on time for my laptop purchase plan. anyone know if the xeon is skylake or broadwell based?

asendra

Nov 4, 2012
And now we know why Apple skipped Broadwell-H.

First let's see how close real products launch with those SKUs, because that could very well be a couple more months. Maybe some Y, U models launch before christmas, but I bet the big launch will be 2016.

Using Apple as an example, they just updated their 15" line, which should have used broadwell-H, with the same haswell cpus for what will be the third consecutive year (2013, 2014 and now). I can't imagine them not waiting till september-october for a real update to skylake after waiting so long for broadwell, which leds me to think that it might still be quite a few months away.

Hey, if they launch early, and Apple updates them again, I'll be the first in line. I was waiting a long time for this years 15" refresh, and after yesterday disappointment, I just bought a 13" model with broad well, which I will then sell. I just couldn't wait any longer.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Leak: Skylake-Y, Skylake-U, Skylake-H, Skylake-S Models and Launch Date

intel-skylake-schedule.jpg

http://benchlife.info/intel-skylake-replace-broadwell-start-from-q3-05202015

Skylake-Y, Skylake-U, Skylake-H and Skylake-S will arrive as soon as September 2015.

No dissent regarding this timeline? That's pretty soon.

Tsavo

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2009
The wonders keep getting higher with the i7-6920HK - probably just another low cost unlocked mobile hexcore with Iris Pro graphics. Same old same old.
;-)

I'm going to hold out for the i7-6920HKSU-RT version.

More letters in product name = more performance.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006

That matches ASUS Q3 predictions so I think it's accurate.

asus_skylake_windows10_expectations.jpg

Looks like they will announce the whole Skylake family in the next IDF.
Skylake-Y should arrive earlier than Apple's A9X, Snapdragon 820 and many 14nm/16nm ARM SoCs.
Assuming ASUS and other OEMs release some devices in Q3 then Carrizo will only have a few months before competing with Skylake-U/H.
This earlier than expected launch also makes me hope they will release at least some 10nm Cannonlake chips in 2016.

Reactions: Drazick

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I keep almost buying X99, but maybe a Skylake mainstream i7 would be a better bet.

Last edited:

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Interesting, the source of the leak also mentions 10nm Cannonlake arrives in Q3-2016.
Maybe it's just Cannonlake-Y or Cannonlake-U but that's better than not showing up till 2017.

Reactions: Drazick

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003

That confirms my predictions that Broadwell is a "mini-Presler" and a delayed/defeatured product that will be replaced by a new product, aka Skylake.

From comparing chips at ARK, H is either "High Definition" or "High End/High Performance". It looks like latter is more likely, because while for Quads the H's only differentiator is basically better graphics outputs, for the dual cores its higher TDP and faster clocks speeds.

The K may mean unlocked mobile?

I am more curious about the U and Y models. Hopefully the Core M versions bring Broadwell U performance in 4W TDP, and I mean real Broadwell U performance, not "bursty, special case enclosed, Intel-sanctioned Broadwell U performance".

Last edited:

tijag

Apr 7, 2005
Using Apple as an example, they just updated their 15" line, which should have used broadwell-H, with the same haswell cpus for what will be the third consecutive year (2013, 2014 and now). I can't imagine them not waiting till september-october for a real update to skylake after waiting so long for broadwell, which leds me to think that it might still be quite a few months away.

Hey, if they launch early, and Apple updates them again, I'll be the first in line. I was waiting a long time for this years 15" refresh, and after yesterday disappointment, I just bought a 13" model with broad well, which I will then sell. I just couldn't wait any longer.

The MBP wasn't really updated. It hasn't changed in a long time. They are due for a full physical refresh, and I'm certain that the reason they didn't even bother with Broadwell-H in the 15" rMBP is because the big update with Skylake-H is just a few months away and time/money spent on the the current generation of products would be a waste for them.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Hmm, I wonder what the i7-6820HK is?
Numerically higher than the 6700.

That means not much.

Desktop: Core i7 4790K
Mobile: Core i7 4950HQ

Also, the only difference between Core i7 4950HQ and Core i7 4850HQ are 100MHz CPU and GPU clocks. Although later models like Core i7 4980HQ and Core i7 4870HQ increased the difference to a respectable 300MHz CPU and 100MHz GPU.

Last edited:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Intel has shipped unlocked mobile parts before although I don't think it's ever gotten the K designation. That's probably what that HK model is.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Quad-core + GT4e iGPU perhaps?

If this happens, then I am ok. Rather than bringing Broadwell GT3e parts with only 30-40% gain after 2 years, you'd get Skylake GT4e with 50% additional performance, meaning you end up with 2x+.

Hopefully they can get power management in control so it doesn't suck up power in idle like discrete graphics with no ability to turn off and excellent load power use

Last edited:

asendra

Nov 4, 2012
The MBP wasn't really updated. It hasn't changed in a long time. They are due for a full physical refresh, and I'm certain that the reason they didn't even bother with Broadwell-H in the 15" rMBP is because the big update with Skylake-H is just a few months away and time/money spent on the the current generation of products would be a waste for them.

Yes, I think everybody expects the rMBP line to be refreshed with a new design for Skylake, and I agree. But if Skylake is just 4-5 months away, why even bother updating them with just a new dGPU in the top model, faster ssds and the touchpad?

They could have saved all those upgrades a few months and make it even more enticing of an upgrade, I think. It would be almost unprecedented for them to do an update so early.

Mar 10, 2006
Yes, I think everybody expects the rMBP line to be refreshed with a new design for Skylake, and I agree. But if Skylake is just 4-5 months away, why even bother updating them with just a new dGPU in the top model, faster ssds and the touchpad?

They could have saved all those upgrades a few months and make it even more enticing of an upgrade, I think. It would be almost unprecedented for them to do an update so early.

Apple probably wants to have fresh systems available for the back to school shopping season. I know if I were shopping for a new laptop for school, I'd be much more comfortable buying a "refreshed" MacBook than one that has been for sale since mid-2014.