Intel rock!

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
So about a year ago I had an issue with and old Intel 80gb SSD I had. This was the very first SSD I bought and it was quite old. I mean like when SSD's first came out old. Served me well for many years and it was being used in an old PC last year. Its been long enough that I actually don't remember what was wrong with it but I contacted Intel to seek support. The guy that helped me wasn't sure what was wrong so he asked me to send it in. Mind you this was out of warranty. So anyways, I sent it in, then one day it came back and they told me they replaced it. I didn't think anything of it. I didn't need to use an 80GB drive anyway so I never opened the shipping box and just placed it on the shelf. Well here it is about a year later and Im organizing all my computer parts. To save room I opened the box up and you know what I found? A Intel 5 SSD @ 512GB!

Not only did they replace my old 80GB from years ago but they gave me a much better and much higher capacity SSD. I get it that they most likely don't have any 80GB drives now but still...that is one nice upgrade and it's in retail packaging. I'm pretty shocked considering the old drive was not under warranty.

So yeah...Thanks Intel. I only use Intel SSD's for my OS drives (In my main rig) due to dependability even if they are not usually the fastest. This proves to me that I made the right decision all through the years.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Nice story! Yeah, Intel isn't all "bad". :p

(I just bought an i5-9400F, ASRock B365 Pro4 ATX, 2x 32GB kits of OLOy RAM, intending to make a new build soon.)

I also own a couple of Intel 545s 512GB SATA 2.5" SSDs (got them last BF for ~$55 ea.), and a couple of 1TB 660p M.2 NVMe SSDs in RAID-0 in one of my rigs too. (I also have a 600p NVMe kicking around here somewhere. Intel does make decent SSDs, even if they aren't the extreme best performers.)

Reactions: WhiteNoise