Intel RoadmapSkylake-XKaby Lake-X and Skylake-W Processors in Q2 2017

csbin

Feb 4, 2013
https://benchlife.info/intel-study-skylake-x-kaby-lake-x-and-basin-falls-for-skylake-w-06022016/

http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-x-kaby-lake-x-q2-2017-roadmap-leak/

Previously known as Skylake-E, Intel would rename their Skylake-E family to Skylake-X to represent their market positioning at the high-end desktop PCs. Intel’s Skylake-X family would be launching in Q2 2017. Along with the Skylake-X family, Intel would also launch Kaby Lake-X. The Kaby Lake-X chips are also aimed at the enthusiast PC market but these are actually the Kaby Lake-K (Unlocked) processors which will be hitting the LGA 1151 sockets. More details on these families are listed below:

The Intel Skylake-X family is a new name for Skylake-E which is built for high-end desktop PCs. The family will be aimed at enthusiasts and will be launching in Q2 2017. So we can expect a launch close to Computex 2017 that is highly possible. The Skylake-X processors will be replacing the Broadwell-E family which launched a few days ago. Information suggests that Skylake-X processors will be available in same core configuration as Broadwell-E with 10, 8 and 6 core variants and TDP’s adjusted around 140W while delivering better IPC with the new Skylake architecture.

It looks like Skylake-X family won’t be compatible with the new Socket P (LGA 3647) which we saw earlier. That socket is being built for 2S, 4S and 8S+ configurations so 1S processors will still feature support on Socket R that is LGA 2011-3. Intel will be however making a new PCH known as Kaby Lake PCH which will allow compatibility for the Skylake-X and Skylake-W chips.

The Intel Kaby Lake-X family will be part of the Kaby Lake desktop family of processors. While the Kaby Lake-S series will be aimed at the mainstream desktop audience, those who want unlocked chips will have to wait till Q2 2017 to get hands on Kaby Lake-X series. These processors will be unlocked, fast and deliver better designs to support overclocking. Since Kaby Lake is a architecture optimization on the same node as Intel’s new PAO ( Process / Architecture / Optimization) roadmap puts it, we will be looking at quad core designs with TDPs set around 95W.

aK4IX.jpg

The Skylake-W or Skylake workstation family configured for 1S platforms will also be launching in 2017. This family will feature support on the Basin Falls platform which was confirmed in a previous leak. These chips have a lot in common with Skylake-X as they share the same socket (Socket R LGA 2011-3) and the same chipset. The chipset will be known as Kaby Lake PCH which means it will allow extended support for Kaby Lake-E and also 10 nm Cannonlake-X and Cannonlake-W processors.

The Skylake-W “Basin Falls” platform will house high-end chips based on the Skylake architecture. These chips will feature 140W TDP and will be available in both LCC and HCC die variants so we can expect high core count reaching up to 28 on these processors. The processors will be able to support quad channel DDR4 memory with rated speeds of 2667 MHz and will deliver up to 48 PCI-E Gen 3 lanes. Some of the features of the Kaby Lake PCH are that it delivers 10 USB 3.0 ports, up to 8 SATA Gen 3 ports and up to 20 PCI-E Gen 3 lanes. This delivers up to 68 PCI-e Gen 3 lanes on Basin Falls platform. There’s also of course future compatibility with Cannonlake-W chips.

GqmW2.png

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Hmm, I wonder if I was really right about the high end mainstream socket and 1P socket 'merging'....

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Is it just me, or is this news full of fail if true? KabyLake Ks won't be released until Q2-2017?!?!?!?!

2blzd

May 16, 2016
I dont think kabylake-x is the replacement for the 6700k...If you look at the roadmap, S = the k series, where skylake currently is and kabylake will replace this fall. I think kaby-x is a higher end DT part, maybe a 6 core or Devil's Canyon like sku

Also I like how Wccftech can't their nomenclature right. They mention Kabylake-X then later Kabylake-E, which is not happening

Last edited:

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
Kabylake-X schedule seems to fit for tweaking based on what Zen actually delivers.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Hmmm...so if Kaby Lake chipset will support Cannonlake on socket 2011-3, does that mean the desktop version of Kaby Lake chipset will support Cannonlake K and S CPUs on socket 1151?

If Intel would just confirm that it'd save a whole lot of waiting for me haha....

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
They mention Kaby Lake-X is an LGA115x socket.

That's actually making me interested in seeing what Kaby Lake features. We can only hope there's a difference in making the segmentation to "X".

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
whut? Isnt kabylake minus igp == skylake minus igp?
Then why have a kabylake-x?

BigDaveX

Jun 12, 2014
whut? Isnt kabylake minus igp == skylake minus igp?
Then why have a kabylake-x?

Kabylake-X is actually the designation they're using for the LGA1151 chips with unlocked multipliers. In fact, by calling it "Kabylake-X" instead of "Kabylake-K", Intel have indirectly confirmed that Kabylake won't be making its way to to the HEDT platform.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Interesting to see the split between single and multisocket. But with 6 channel and such, it was about time.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
BD-E will last only a year, those $1700 for the 10 core is not looking good. The only BD-E that is a good price is the 6800K.

khon

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2010
Looks like Kabylake U-processors in August this year ? Might buy one of those, could use a new laptop.

For desktops on the other hand, it looks like there is no point in upgrading until w2017 Q3+ at the earliest. Kaby lake is kinda pointless if you use a discrete GPU.

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
The naming conventions are horrible. Basically Skylake-X is HEDT. But Kaby Lake-X is not.

asendra

Nov 4, 2012
Wow, I'm guessing then that we won't see unlocked "K" Cannonlake until 2H 2018, if not later. That will make my 4770k at least a 5 year build before I feel like an upgrade would be reasonable. And even then I might not need to update really (although I'm pretty sure I will :p)

I guess I'll try to delid it in a year or so and try to push it 3-400mhz more at least just for fun, to tide me over. I have a heavy thermal wall @4'3 with relatively low voltage (1.22v) right now on water.

Mar 10, 2006
Kabylake-X is actually the designation they're using for the LGA1151 chips with unlocked multipliers. In fact, by calling it "Kabylake-X" instead of "Kabylake-K", Intel have indirectly confirmed that Kabylake won't be making its way to to the HEDT platform.

The slide included at BenchLife for Skylake-W platform says the next CPU supported in the platform is Cannonlake-W. There is no Kabylake-E, just like I have been saying here for a while :)

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2006
They mention Kaby Lake-X is an LGA115x socket.

That's actually making me interested in seeing what Kaby Lake features. We can only hope there's a difference in making the segmentation to "X".

My guess? Super high clocks out of the box. Devil's Canyon style clocks or better.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
The Skylake-W or Skylake workstation family configured for 1S platforms will also be launching in 2017. This family will feature support on the Basin Falls platform which was confirmed in a previous leak. These chips have a lot in common with Skylake-X as they share the same socket (Socket R LGA 2011-3) and the same chipset. The chipset will be known as Kaby Lake PCH which means it will allow extended support for Kaby Lake-E and also 10 nm Cannonlake-X and Cannonlake-W processors.

If this is true, I'm definitely waiting for SKL-E/X/whatever. Cannonlake-X support is just icing on the cake.

Sharing a common PCH between HEDT and regular desktop also seems like a good idea. If it supports 10Gbit USB 3.1 and TB3 then so much the better.

Wow, I'm guessing then that we won't see unlocked "K" Cannonlake until 2H 2018, if not later. That will make my 4770k at least a 5 year build before I feel like an upgrade would be reasonable. And even then I might not need to update really (although I'm pretty sure I will :p)

My 2013 3770non-K is still going strong, so a 5 year upgrade cycle doesn't seem unreasonable.

Khato

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2001
Rather amusing how there's no mention of KBL-X being socket 1151 in either the roadmap or the source article, yet somehow wcctech comes to that conclusion and some choose to believe it. There's a far more intriguing possibility.

Mar 10, 2006
Rather amusing how there's no mention of KBL-X being socket 1151 in either the roadmap or the source article, yet somehow wcctech comes to that conclusion and some choose to believe it. There's a far more intriguing possibility.

Oh, heh. BenchLife doesn't explicitly say LGA 115x. Hard to imagine that Intel would do a specialized quad-core die on LGA-2061, though!

Khato

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2001
Oh, heh. BenchLife doesn't explicitly say LGA 115x. Hard to imagine that Intel would do a specialized quad-core die on LGA-2061, though!

Indeed, no reason to do a separate die for something so trivial as using a different socket.

Mar 10, 2006
Indeed, no reason to do a separate die for something so trivial as using a different socket.

That's true. A lot of wasted pins for something that only has a dual channel memory controller, though.

But, if this is Intel's plan, I'm sure they're planning to raise the prices so that this isn't an issue. I think after seeing the 6700K chips sell out at $399 during the shortage, Intel knows enthusiasts will pay.

But they'd better deliver something worthwhile with this chip!