Intel Reports Second-Quarter 2018 Financial Results(data center business falls short, shares slip)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
Not that I disagree with your overall post, but this particular viewpoint is exactly one that Intel should be very wary of. There are plenty examples of businesses enjoying record numbers and dominant market shares while failing to adapt to already growing new competition. A huge one such is Nokia that actually had its best financial numbers and the biggest market share for the couple years after iPhone launched and smartphones in general arrived.

I didn't say Intel shouldn't be wary. Just that the doomsaying usually gets out of hand.

The new reality is that AMD has competitive CPU cores again, after almost a decade of near irrelevance.

That means AMD is definitely going to reduce Intels Market share, especially in servers where Intel essentially had ~100% of the x86 server market.

It's basically impossible to hold that kind of share if you have viable competition, Intel will obviously want to hold as much of it as possible, but the other thing Intel should, and has been doing is diversifying against the multiple threats to its dominant x86 position.

The market share changes are going to help AMD MUCH more than they are going to "hurt" Intel.

I think people should focus more on the benefit to AMD than the negligible harm to Intel.

Reactions: Pilum

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Intel is going to lose a billion+/quarter in revenue just because of Rome. Not just from the share loss but perhaps more importantly having to cut prices to keep the share from falling that much further.

Reactions: Tarkin77

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
When you dredge up the most negative headline you can find, post it in a large bold font. It definitely looks like FUD spreading to me.

We have been seeing the "Intel is Doomed FUD" every since Ryzen launched. Yet if you actually looked at Intel's sales, you would be hard pressed to see anywhere they have been significantly affected.

I think it is definitely over reaction to read daily stock market fluctuations, as anything meaningful. If it goes back up are you going to alter your opinion?

Will Intel lose market share to AMD in servers. Obviously, but since it is expected to retain about 90-95% of the x86 server market for the next year, and since it is growing fast, it is almost irrelevant to Intel's bottom line.
First, I did not "dredge up" the most negative headline, I was just on cnbc. And I did not bold or do anything to the text, its just a copy from their website.

As for the stock price, this was due to the bad news in the results, all of this has nothing to do with me, but Intel.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Intel is going to lose a billion+/quarter in revenue just because of Rome. Not just from the share loss but perhaps more importantly having to cut prices to keep the share from falling that much further.
This will be the most damaging aspect of the competition. It doesn't matter to a large degree how much market share AMD gets in the short term, but the return to power of the customer in having a choice. We have seen and will see more soon the negative effect of this performance domination in the GPU market.

It was argued here that market dominance matters little, as these companies need people to upgrade and so they will have to stay sane in pricing. The next year will destroy that argument, as Intel readjust prices. Also already destroyed is the other argument that companies have to be massive to fund great R&D.

Reactions: Campy

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
First, I did not "dredge up" the most negative headline, I was just on cnbc. And I did not bold or do anything to the text, its just a copy from their website.

As for the stock price, this was due to the bad news in the results, all of this has nothing to do with me, but Intel.

You are citing a blip in stock price as indicator of serious issue. If the stock price goes back up on Monday are you going to change your mind and say it wasn't a serious issue after all?

This is not limited to this company or specific case. I just don't think reading the tea leaves of stock pricing provides much in the way of reliable evidence of anything.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I think this is just the state of "journalism" in the 21st century. It's all about sensationalized articles, with click-bait titles, and it's just not limited to tech articles.

Otherwise, with the attention span of the current generation, I doubt they would get many younger people reading what they publish. It's not so much about journalism anymore, but is more of a public relation release. Heck, just take a look at some of the "articles" announcing a new product. It's not a review, but basically a pre-written ad sent out to the websites.

For example, how many of these do we see now:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/creative-releases-blasterx-ae-5-gaming-soundcard.html

No review ever done, just a very detailed product announcement, aka ad.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
I think this is just the state of "journalism" in the 21st century. It's all about sensationalized articles, with click-bait titles, and it's just not limited to tech articles.

Otherwise, with the attention span of the current generation, I doubt they would get many younger people reading what they publish. It's not so much about journalism anymore, but is more of a public relation release. Heck, just take a look at some of the "articles" announcing a new product. It's not a review, but basically a pre-written ad sent out to the websites.

For example, how many of these do we see now:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/creative-releases-blasterx-ae-5-gaming-soundcard.html

No review ever done, just a very detailed product announcement, aka ad.

I agree.

Further, I am amazed how Anandtech has resisted the click bait trend. I used to love Arstechnica, but they are HEAVY into clickbait headlines and sensationalizing now.

As far as the Guru3D story, at least they didn't call it a review. Some tech sites, post "Reviews" that are essentially reviews of the Press Release. Which annoys the heck out of me when I am searching for Product reviews.

Spend any time looking at youtube reivews/comparisons? You must have seen the shams that just cobble together stock footage (or still images) and have a computer generate the audio through text-to-speech.

It's a click bait world, and quality is hard to find.

Reactions: Lodix

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
As far as the Guru3D story, at least they didn't call it a review. Some tech sites, post "Reviews" that are essentially reviews of the Press Release. Which annoys the heck out of me when I am searching for Product reviews.

True, not a review, but I was trying to point out when a product, let's say a new Adata NVMe drive is about to be released, most of the hardware review sites publish just about the same "article", which is basically just an ad written by the company's PR, and sent out to all the sites (probably along with a Paypal payment). And most of the time, the sites never even bother to review the product later on. It's just lazy "journalism" IMHO.

Reactions: IEC

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
I think people should focus more on the benefit to AMD than the negligible harm to Intel.
Or even better, focus on the benefit for the consumers. AMD's push is speeding up some overdue changes. I want Intel to be able to push harder whenever AMD slows down again. And vice versa.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
By the time you get investing advice from the mainstream, the rally is often over. I sometimes wonder if this is by design to suck in the poor average investor to give a final lift.

I always figured the mainstream stock news was basically just to help the big investment firms make a move. They want to unload a stock? Release a bunch of analysis about how its undervalued and great to pump up its price, then unload it. Good thing to expensive for them to buy? Release a ton of hit pieces to dip the stock so they can buy in lower. It might also be about weakening competing stocks and the like. One thing is for sure, it isn't done to help the average bum on the street save for his retirement!