Intel profit sinks 27% on dreadful PC sales

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by dud, Jan 17, 2013.

1. dud

dud Diamond Member

I found this interesting. Even though Intel has a near monopoly on the PC CPU market (because of the lack of competitive products from AMD) the chipmaker is still having problems because overall PC sales are down:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/17/technology/enterprise/intel-earnings/

"The world's largest chipmaker reported a quarterly profit on Thursday that fell 27% from year-ago results, dragged down by slumping PC chip sales.

Intel sold 6% fewer PC chips in the fourth quarter -- its biggest business, and one that accounts for nearly two-thirds of its overall revenue.

The results weren't unexpected. Worldwide PC shipments fell by 5% in the fourth quarter and 3.5% for 2012, according to Gartner. It was the first time since the dot-com bust of 2001 that PC shipments fell from one year to the next."

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Intel profit sinks Forum Date
    Intel has been working with Google on self-driving cars since 2009 CPUs and Overclocking Wednesday at 7:44 PM
    FORGIVE ME -- New Gaming Rig, Intel 7700k v Intel 8700k v Ryzen 1600x CPUs and Overclocking Sunday at 4:53 PM
    My CPU Vs New CPU's? Worth Upgrading? Intel i7-2700K CPUs and Overclocking Sep 13, 2017
    Intel Q2 Financials- revenue down, profit down, datacenter up CPUs and Overclocking Jul 15, 2015
    Intel profits down 25% CPUs and Overclocking Apr 17, 2013

3. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

Is anyone truely surprised? Desktop PCs are a dying breed.

Edit: I don't think that they will disappear completely, but there will be less sales, and the cost for components will rise.

4. Exophase

Exophase Diamond Member

It's inevitable. Desktops would sell less even if everyone used them exactly the same amount, because they're not improving nearly as quickly as they used to. If you have no incentive to upgrade you won't upgrade as often, until you only buy new computers when your own one breaks and is out of warranty.

This will eventually happen to tablets too, once the technical improvements peak and the form factor decisions settle. At least with phones people are motivated to get a new one when their contract runs out.

5. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

Explanation is here:

[​IMG]

The entire sector went backwards with 2.3%. Its not just Intel. For AMD, STMicroelectronics, TI, Toshiba, Renesas, Infinion, Freescale. Marvell, Hynix etc its an utter disaster.

Samsung, Qualcomm only did good due to canibalizing heavily in their own ranks. Without that ability they would have gone backwards too.

#4 ShintaiDK, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  6. SiliconWars

SiliconWars Platinum Member

Gross margin cratering. So this was just an AMD problem? :rolleyes:

7. SiliconWars

Why do I get the feeling you haven't linked that up till now while berating AMD as being the only tech to be losing out?

Cool your jets, Eyefinity
    -ViRGE

#6 SiliconWars, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2013
  8. frozentundra123456

frozentundra123456 Diamond Member

The problem is that PCs are so powerful (relative to the uses of most consumers) that almost everyone who wants one has one already and has no real need to upgrade unless you are gaming, doing some other intensive task, or the machine just breaks.

Tablets OTOH, everyone who got an early one (if it is like mine anyway) probably says "this is a great formfactor but the performance really sucks. I want a better one." I am joking, but only sort of.

Also, would be nice to see the breakdown in sales by category. They must have lost a lot of the higher margin sales for a 5% decrease in sales to lead to a 27% decrease in revenue, unless they had some unusual expenses.

9. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

Its been linked over and over again. Go troll someone else.

10. SiliconWars

11. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

Everything went backwards, not just PCs.

Its expected that the sector will rebound in 2013.

And its a -27% net income. Not revenue. Revenue was 13.5B$, down 3%. Gross margins was 58%.

#10 ShintaiDK, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  12. SiliconWars

Coming from you that's bloody hilarious.

13. frozentundra123456

frozentundra123456 Diamond Member

This chart shows a LOT worse results for the entire year for AMD than Intel, for whatever that is worth. Also Intel has a lot more resources to weather a downturn than AMD. So I dont know if I were an AMD fan, as you obviously are, that I would take any satisfaction in this chart.

14. SiliconWars

I don't take any satisfaction from the chart, particularly as my living is made in PC's. I do however take great satisfaction in the knowledge that this isn't the "AMD problem" that most intel fans were telling us it was.

Intel gross margin down 8% YoY = Intel dumping chips to salvage their past 6 months - of course that's going to have a serious effect on AMD. What do you expect them to do? In the end it all makes sense - AMD had no option but to scale down because the PC market is imploding and not even Intel can save themselves from it.

15. SiliconWars

16. Torn Mind

Torn Mind Diamond Member

The market for x86 products has transitioned to being a less significant subset of the "entire market of computing products".

17. SiliconWars

It's more like a complete and utter cratering. x86 is on the way out so fast that both intel and AMD are in a [load] of trouble.

No profanity in the technical forums, please
    -ViRGE

#16 SiliconWars, Jan 17, 2013
  18. Exophase

Exophase Diamond Member

x86 dependence might be loosening, but the market doesn't really have anything intrinsically against using x86 processors.

#17 Exophase, Jan 17, 2013
  19. SiliconWars

What about price or power draw or a combination of them both? What does x86 offer to the consumer now apart from the legacy, which is rapidly diminishing?

20. grimpr

grimpr Golden Member

I have a hunch that it will continue well into 2013 with Haswell. People are simply tired of all this since they have much more important things to consider financially because of the global economic downturn. Intel cant make them upgrade anymore.

21. jpiniero

jpiniero Diamond Member

If companies needed a good reason to slash their IT budget, Windows 8 is it. Obviously that affects Intel a good deal.

Pretty clear Intel is forced to cannibalize AMD's share to keep revenue from falling more than it already has.

22. georgec84

georgec84 Senior member

Computing needs are oversaturated right now. It feels like we've hit something of a ceiling with respect to performance needs. A modest CPU with an integrated GPU is enough for most people to stream HD video, maybe dabble in light or casual gaming, and do other tasks.

Throw in tablets, smartphones, and other gizmos and you have people with more technology than they need.

23. SiliconWars

Yep. Now with fabs sitting empty and the market disappearing at an alarming rate, you have got to question the wisdom behind their plan to spend $13 billion in 2013 on CAPEX.

Spend your way out of trouble? This is a pretty big gamble in the current climate. If 22nm fabs are sitting empty, why won't 14nm fabs?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/intel-results-beat-street-but-outlook-weak-2013-01-17

Risky stuff indeed.

24. SiliconWars

You are correct, and on top of that people expect more for less money. This is intel's biggest problem - they made hay while the sun was shining but the moon has been waxing for a while, and now their entire lineup is probably looking at a drastic cut in pricing in order to remain competitive.

Building more fabs now is tantamount to suicide I feel, but intel has never really had any other plan except for being ahead in process. They don't know what else to do, so they are doing the only thing they have ever done by spending more and trying to buy themselves out of trouble.

25. dma0991

dma0991 Platinum Member

Microsoft has a role in this slump besides the fact that most mainstream consumers are content with the capabilities of a tablet. Had Windows 8 been made properly, the sales of PCs would've at least stayed the same.

26. Exophase

Exophase Diamond Member

Being x86 doesn't give much of an intrinsic disadvantage for either in the markets you're specifying, not vs its competitors anyway.

I admitted that the dependence is loosening, but that doesn't mean that an x86 processor can't be successful in tablets and phones and various other platforms. Anyone who thinks otherwise must be in denial since existing hardware already contradicts this.