Intel P4 Safe Temp for Mainboard?

Aradune

Oct 14, 2002
Hi, I am in the process of overclocking my new P4 2.4b with the Albatron PEV Pro (845PE) m/b. Hardware monitor reads my idle Mainboard temperature at about 42C, but under load my mainboard system temps rise to between 50 and 52C! It says this is in the "Red" zone according to this program I have. My main concern is how hot can I allow my mainboard system temp to get and why is my CPU temp always a good deal lower? My average idle CPU temp is around 36C. My cpu usually runs about 6 degrees LESS than my mainboard, so I'm not concerned there.

Currently I have my FSB at 150 and my corsair pc3200 ram running at DDR375 Cas2 (aggressive settings). I would like to make it to 160fsb and push my expensive ram a bit further, but I am worried about my mainboard temperature. I am also running at Vcore 1.5v actual and I have a stock HSF and fan as well. Any suggestions or input on my situation would be very helpful.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
sounds like a glitch...Chances are the cpu temp of 36c is your mainboard temp as it should just about always be lower in an air cooling system.....

What is the state of your cooling....Heatsink and fan and all its specs...case fans?? How many???

Aradune

Oct 14, 2002
I don't think it's a glitch Duvie, because Anandtech's review of the 845PE shows system temps higher than cpu in multiple bios's (i just double checked). My cooling is rather conservative. I have a stock HSF and a case with 1 side window fan blowing on my m/b. I may need to add additional cooling for my case to bring down system temps. I just don't know what the maximum system temp should be.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Take the side case off...ASre you in a moderately cool room, IE like about 70-80f??? that system temp if the monitor reading it is correct should be about 4-5c above room temp with case off....

Is there excessive heat coming off of the northbridge chip??? Does it have a passive cooling or active cooling??? maybe slap some as3 and a 40mm 486 fan on there and see if that helps....

I haven't seen the board but does the northbridge sit to close to any items that may be pushing the heat off onto it???

System temps generally in open case environments should only be lik 4-6c max above ambient room temp in an idle situation...I have a closed case with 2 case fans and my system temp is 25c and my room is about 22.5c.....I am actually 100%^ loading it now with an Divx encoding going on for the last hour....Anything much above 30c unless in a loading situation is either a sign of extremely poor case cooling or bad temp reading by the hardware monitor.....

have you tried to use another program like MBM (mortherboard monitor) or sandra to see if you get differnet reandings???

Aradune

Oct 14, 2002
Room temps should be fine. I just got done running Prime 95 for about an hour and had 47.5C for my CPU and 52C for my mainboard (system) temp. I have tried other programs like MBM and recieved the same temp results. I'll try your suggestions though, thanks.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
i think it is likley a faulty temp reading by albatron....maybe they don't have all their sh^t together!!!

I mean c'mon....No p4 chipset I have seen would or could really take that kind of heat...that is 125.6f!!! I mean the p4 is believed to possible throttle at 150.8f which would be extreme....most chipsets would have errored out when you approached the 40-45 level....

MadTom

Sep 4, 2002
I think Duvie is right - that must be a bad reading. Maybe Albatron has their own program to read temps from the mainboard, and not only the BIOS one?