intel or AMD for HTPC?

coolVariable

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Thinking about going either with an intel e5200 or an AMD 5050e ...
This is for a HTPC.

I think I want to go with an ASRock motherboard from newegg:
intel Mobo
AMD Mobo

I am tempted to use my existing graphics card (ATI Radeon HD3650) unless the difference to the igp is only marginal.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
If you're not gaming AMD 780 integrated is about the best you can get in terms of power and video decoding.

If you're gaming, it doesn't matter because you will be disappointed with both.

LoneNinja

Jan 5, 2009
If you want to use integrated graphics to conserve power or for any other reason you may have I'd go with the AMD set up, the ATI IGP is much more powerful than the Intel. However since you've got a 3650 I'd personally use that. I don't have exact benchmarks, but from experience I would say the 3650 is about 2.5X stronger than the 3200 for gaming.

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
I have built several HTPCs, and I have to say that the least troubling and best platform I've used is the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H...
The IGP is perfect for any non-gaming use (or for older, less demanding games), and the heat and noise is less because of that. It also allows for better air flow without a card. (I use those HTPCs for 1080p playback almost exclusively...they were for a TV Production company)

I would avoid any of the Intel chipsets, but there may be a few decent Nvidia ones to find.

Atechie

Oct 15, 2008
Originally posted by: Viditor
I have built several HTPCs, and I have to say that the least troubling and best platform I've used is the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H...
The IGP is perfect for any non-gaming use (or for older, less demanding games), and the heat and noise is less because of that. It also allows for better air flow without a card. (I use those HTPCs for 1080p playback almost exclusively...they were for a TV Production company)

I would avoid any of the Intel chipsets, but there may be a few decent Nvidia ones to find.

Yeah because Intel's chipsets are know for their flaws, as NVIDIA's record is spotless...erhm...wait.:roll:

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
The 790GX chipset is an incremental update to the 780G chipset bringing with it the SB750 and all round a better layout- these can be had at near the same price, and a better option. Notable 790GX boards are the Biostar and DFI.

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: Atechie
Originally posted by: Viditor

Yeah because Intel's chipsets are know for their flaws, as NVIDIA's record is spotless...erhm...wait.:roll:

No, because Intel's chips are known for having the worst video output of all IGPs...

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
I chose the phenom x3 710 and biostar ta790gx for my htpc. Intel wise you'd proably have to go with a dual core pentium. There was a decent deal on a socket 775 mobo with 4gb of corsair ram a few days ago. Add in a 70 dollar dual core and a cheap card and you'll be set. Pricewise , though, I still think the amd is cheaper and overall a better performer.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
The 790GX platform is perfect for a HTPC. It has built in HDMI (at least the Biostar platform does) and it performs well in 1080P playback tests. Gaming-wise (if that even matters to you), this isn't the best solution, but for a HTPC it's great.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Modular
The 790GX platform is perfect for a HTPC. It has built in HDMI (at least the Biostar platform does) and it performs well in 1080P playback tests. Gaming-wise (if that even matters to you), this isn't the best solution, but for a HTPC it's great.

i agree with that but then again the OP said he has a 3650 gpu so he could use that with an Intel setup also.

get the best cpu for HTPC use. do some research and pick one with a good performance/low TDP ratio, that's my opinion.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
That Asrock 780G board is a little gem that not many people know of. I'd highly recommend it.

Spoelie

Oct 8, 2005
*3650 does not have any audio or supports audio over hdmi does it? Does it also have the latest Avivo decoder? Both are honest questions, I know for sure the 780G/790GX have both capabilities.
*780G/790GX have one flaw: no 8 channel LPCM over hdmi - just so you know

For a pure htpc setup, an nvidia 8300 chipset might be worth looking into, slower than AMDs chipset in 3D but solid decoding and no problems with 8 channel LPCM. Avoid Intel's chipsets for htpc use.

I'd get any AMD tricore chip over Intels dual core if you have the budget, but if not I'd get Intels dual core (with nvidia 9300/9400 chipset) over AMDs dual core ;).

(my own htpc uses AMD 4850e / 780G chipset, but got it more than a year ago, right when 780G was released)

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
I output mutli-channel PCM though my analog ports with no problems (and can't really tell the difference between that and AC3 over HDMI but I'm old)

edit: I fergit ...

A 4850e/780g combo consumes around 45w at idle and 75w during playback

edit again:

The 790gx is a touch more efficient by 2-3w IIRC ...

coolVariable

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Wow. So many great responses.
My budget is rather limited. I would prefer not to spend more than $150 on the CPU, motherboard and 4GB RAM but it looks like that might creep closer to $200 already.
I am torn whether to use my existing graphics card (HD3650) or whether to go IGP. It seems that with the intel CPU/mobo I should go with the extra card but with AMD I might be able to use the IGP (at least with a 780G or 790GX chipset). The 3650 has audio over HDMI as well as an avivo decoder. I don't game a lot on the HTPC but being able to play games on the machine is nice.
(The resale value of the HD3650 is probably also rather limited on craigslist.)
I think I will stay away from CPUs with more than 2 cores due to their TWP ratings ... the e5200 supposedly runs much cooler than 65W on average and the 4850e/5050e are rated 45W.

That intel Gigabyte G31 mainboard seems rather limited and a dead end. Not a lot of RAM, few SATA slots, COM/LPT ports, ...
The Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H seems like a really nice alternative to the ASRock board I had found, although I will now look into 790GX chips based on the feedback from people in this thread.

Another interesting thought to throw out there is that if I don't use my HD3650 ... I could theoretically go itx.
I would only need 1x PCI slot for the TV card.
What I don't like about itx is the limited amount of space for additional HDDs and potential heat/noise issues.

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: coolVariable
Another interesting thought to throw out there is that if I don't use my HD3650 ... I could theoretically go itx.
I would only need 1x PCI slot for the TV card.
What I don't like about itx is the limited amount of space for additional HDDs and potential heat/noise issues.

You could always go with a NAS instead of adding HDDs to your system. I keep all of my 1080p media on a Thecus 5200b Pro...works great for the whole house.
The good news is that you don't have to worry about that till later...

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
well it depends what kind of htpc you want to build.

the e5200 is a faster cpu and uses more or less the same power as the 5050e.

I think ideally you'd get a e5200 and a geforce 9300m honestly . If you dont care about power at all just get the e5200 and use your 3650.

i think price wise, the cheapest would be the 5050e (which is slightly less money than a e5200) and the 780g , as most 780g boards are cheaper than 9300 geforce boards by a good amount. the G31 isnt really a good htpc board using its onboard igp, but if you havce a 3650 anyway that doesnt matter (you coudl always sell the 3650 i guess)

elconejito

Dec 19, 2007
www.harvsworld.com
I'd recommend a 780G or 790GX as has been mentioned above. Pair it with a low power dual-core and it will just sip energy (important if you're going to leave it on all day), while still playing back all of your video needs without a hitch. You might even be able to run the CPU cooler passively if you're careful with all around temps in the case and have good quiet airflow. Second to that option would be one of the Nvidia chipsets like the 8200 or 9300 (sometimes they have more drive options) since they also do video decoding in the IGP. The last choice would be an intel chipset since that will put all the burden on the CPU.

A great CPU choice would be one of the dualcore AMD 45w chips. You might be able to get away with a singlecore Sempron.... but not worth it in my opinion since a dual-core is just a little more expensive and offers way better performance especially if you play the occasional game on it. If you do go Intel the e5200 is a fantastic choice.

The IGPs are probably just a little worse than your 3650. If you plan on definitely using the 3650, then go for the Intel setup.

coolVariable

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Mmmh. I guess I will also have to research that whole OCUR hacking solution over at TGB (currently down).
Apparently, there is a bootloader that makes Vista think it has an OCUR capable Bios.
Add in an OCUR card ... and HDTV on the Media Center!
If I can use cablecard with the new build that would be awesome.
that would be much better than the HD Homerun solution I currently have.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Buy AMd . Its no brainer for what your using . Ya want competition start thinking. If you was asking about differant I would have said differant.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Mmmh. I guess I will also have to research that whole OCUR hacking solution over at TGB (currently down).
Apparently, there is a bootloader that makes Vista think it has an OCUR capable Bios.

Good luck with that - - - as I understand it you would also need a hacked "CableCard support" version of Vista.

coolVariable

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

Good luck with that - - - as I understand it you would also need a hacked "CableCard support" version of Vista.

I think you just need an additional activation key for the DCT.

coolVariable

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Mmmmhhh. The motherboards make me lean towards AMD. The CPU itself I am leaning towards intel.
I will probably use my HD3650 but the (cheaper/more affordable) intel boards are pretty lacking in features.

No RAID support, no intel-VT support, better upgrade options with AM3 later on.

I should say that my current HTPC lasted almost 5 years! Ideally, I want something that can be left alone for a similar period of time.

coolVariable

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Ok. I decided to go AMD.
The better boards, potential upgrade possibilities with AM3 in the future, potential fan-less CPU cooling, etc. just pushed me over the line.

Here's what I got:
AMD Athlon Brisbane 5050e - $59.99
null
ASRock 790GX motherboard - $89.99
Total - $149.98

Although I have to say the intel alternative is probably much more powerful and very attractive (if anyone else wants to swoop in):
Intel Pentium E6300 Wolfdale 2.8GHz 65W - $81.99
Zotac GF9300-A-E mainboard - $109.99
Total - 191.98

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Good Choice. If your really happy with your choice . Heres what I would do . I would gift AMD at least 50% of your savings . maildirectly to them . Thanking them for your savings . and words of incouragement . It sounds like nothing . But these nothings change the world . Besides it well make YOU feel good inside were it counts the most.