Discussion Intel Meteor, Arrow, Lunar & Panther Lakes Discussion Threads

Page 38 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tigerick

Apr 1, 2022
PPT1.jpg
PPT2.jpg
PPT3.jpg

As Hot Chips 34 starting this week, Intel will unveil technical information of upcoming Meteor Lake (MTL) and Arrow Lake (ARL), new generation platform after Raptor Lake. Both MTL and ARL represent new direction which Intel will move to multiple chiplets and combine as one SoC platform.

MTL also represents new compute tile that based on Intel 4 process which is based on EUV lithography, a first from Intel. Intel expects to ship MTL mobile SoC in 2023.

ARL will come after MTL so Intel should be shipping it in 2024, that is what Intel roadmap is telling us. ARL compute tile will be manufactured by Intel 20A process, a first from Intel to use GAA transistors called RibbonFET.

Comparison of upcoming Intel's U-series CPU: Core Ultra 100U, Lunar Lake and Panther Lake

ModelCode-NameDateTDPNodeTilesMain TileCPULP E-CoreLLCGPUXe-cores
Core Ultra 100UMeteor LakeQ4 202315 - 57 WIntel 4 + N5 + N64tCPU2P + 8E212 MBIntel Graphics4
?Lunar LakeQ4 202417 - 30 WN3B + N62CPU + GPU & IMC4P + 4E08 MBArc8
?Panther LakeQ1 2026 ??Intel 18A + N3E3CPU + MC4P + 8E4?Arc12

Comparison of die size of Each Tile of Meteor Lake, Arrow Lake, Lunar Lake and Panther Lake

Meteor LakeArrow Lake (20A)Arrow Lake (N3B)Arrow Lake Refresh (N3B)Lunar LakePanther Lake
PlatformMobile H/U OnlyDesktop OnlyDesktop & Mobile H&HXDesktop OnlyMobile U OnlyMobile H
Process NodeIntel 4Intel 20ATSMC N3BTSMC N3BTSMC N3BIntel 18A
DateQ4 2023Q1 2025 ?Desktop-Q4-2024
H&HX-Q1-2025
Q4 2025 ?Q4 2024Q1 2026 ?
Full Die6P + 8P6P + 8E ?8P + 16E8P + 32E4P + 4E4P + 8E
LLC24 MB24 MB ?36 MB ??8 MB?
tCPU66.48
tGPU44.45
SoC96.77
IOE44.45
Total252.15

Intel Core Ultra 100 - Meteor Lake

INTEL-CORE-100-ULTRA-METEOR-LAKE-OFFCIAL-SLIDE-2.jpg

As mentioned by Tomshardware, TSMC will manufacture the I/O, SoC, and GPU tiles. That means Intel will manufacture only the CPU and Foveros tiles. (Notably, Intel calls the I/O tile an 'I/O Expander,' hence the IOE moniker.)

Clockspeed.png

Attachments

• PantherLake.png
    PantherLake.png
    283.5 KB · Views: 23,959
  • LNL.png
    LNL.png
    881.8 KB · Views: 25,428
Last edited:

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
By the way we know from the leaked roadmap that MTL-S gets 64EUs. We know that Intel uses the lowest variant for desktop because iGPU performance doesn't really matter there. 64EU must be GT1 variant not GT2. If there is a GT3 this is likely only for some selected premium SKUs, it only makes sense if there is a 192EU variant which doesn't seem to be the case. At the moment there is only GT2 listed.

INTEL_MTL_M_GT2, "MeteorLake-M GT2" },
INTEL_MTL_P_GT2_1, "MeteorLake-P GT2" },
INTEL_MTL_P_GT2_2, "MeteorLake-P GT2" },
INTEL_MTL_P_GT2_3, "MeteorLake-P GT2" },
INTEL_MTL_P_GT2_4, "Meteorlake-P GT2" },

BorisTheBlade82

May 1, 2020
Is It confirmed that Meteor won't come this year? We also don't know when Strix Point will be really announced next year.
The question for me is, if there will be a generation between Phoenix and Strix that we do not know yet. Phoenix will arrive in a month and AMD will try to keep the yearly cadence. But that would imply that Zen5 hits the road in Q4 2023 at the latest. This sounds a bit too optimistic for me, or am I missing something?

hemedans

Jan 31, 2015
Mini PCs, NUC-like with Rembrandt are around 649$ for version with 6900HX, 16 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD.
Intel charges a lot more, actually around 1000$, for a NUC with 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD and i7-1260P.

Phoenix is a premium product, tho.
Even if Intel made Rembrant Nuc it would be expensive, there are plenty of Alderlake mini pc for that price point from Xiaomi, Asrock, Beelink etc.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Neither of those images reference Intel 4, so no idea what witeken is on about.

Pretty sure he's comparing their new slides to this one which was published before Intel switch the naming from 7 nm to Intel 4. Still doesn't really explain how he jumped to his conclusion, but it's witeken we're talking about so I'm not going to spend the time trying to figure it out.

13402352-1597946943317194_origin.png

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
That first image says "Intel xx" in 2025. That could well mean Intel 3 or even 20A. Intel 4 being limited in it's libraries could be a reason for not seeing one.

If it's still valid, we're expected to see custom ASIC for Networking on Intel 4 though.

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
Pretty sure he's comparing their new slides to this one which was published before Intel switch the naming from 7 nm to Intel 4. Still doesn't really explain how he jumped to his conclusion, but it's witeken we're talking about so I'm not going to spend the time trying to figure it out.

13402352-1597946943317194_origin.png
Thanks, didn't remember that slide. But even putting aside the whole 7nm/Intel 4/3 thing, I don't think these necessarily contradict. The timeline from the tweets only goes covers Agilex, while the naming from that 2020 arch day seems to imply these future, stacked FPGAs will be in a different category. Though either way, any roadmap 4+ years into the future is fluid at best.

IIRC, FPGAs are very sensitive to routing constraints, so I wonder if that's why they don't seem quick to jump on Intel 3/4. Might not offer a huge improvement vs Intel 7. But 20A/18A should theoretically be very valuable. This is just me thinking out loud more than anything else.

Joe NYC

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2021
MLID says Meteor Lake is in trouble. Desktop pushed to 2024, only lower core count configurations, likely not able to compete on the high end.

Notebook should still come out in 2023.

Tom seems to be hinting at some potential problems with "Intel 4" and casts some doubt on "Intel 3" as well, but it may just be speculation, and the problems may be on the design end of things, and not on process technology side of things.

Reactions: scineram

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
MLID says Meteor Lake is in trouble. Desktop pushed to 2024, only lower core count configurations, likely not able to compete on the high end.

That all lines up with some of the speculation already going around these forums. Token launch of notebook product in Q4 2023, volume in Q1 2024, no real desktop presence (hence need for Raptor Lake Refresh).

Reactions: Joe NYC

Geddagod

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2021

Tom seems to be hinting at some potential problems with "Intel 4" and casts some doubt on "Intel 3" as well, but it may just be speculation, and the problems may be on the design end of things, and not on process technology side of things.

IF this ends up true, I just want to add, Raichu leaked this 7 months ago, and Kopite Kimi wasn't far behind at 5 months ago.
Lets do a deeper analysis of when this most likely would have been cancelled.
Based on Intel's Raptor Lake development cycle:
7 months ago we heard that MTL and ARL will both compose a one generation product. Lets use the worst case scenario and say that was exactly when it was cancelled, though likely the decision probably would have been made a couple months before that even since leaks don't immediately match up to when events occur.
Analysis of when MTL-S could have been cancelled
Based on an 1Q 2024 launch date, the rumors of cancellation would be ~ T-22 months in the development cycle. This would place it at the very end of the design phase, right before a A0 Tape-In.
However, it is important to remember that A) the official decision to cancel likely happened a bit before the rumors caught wind of it B) MTL-S might launch later than 1Q 2024 and most importantly, C) the RPL development cycle was shorter because it shared the same basic architecture AND platform as ADL. 6 months shorter according to Intel themselves. Since MTL is supposed to be an improvement of Golden Cove/ Raptor Cove, I doubt the dev cycle would be closer to ADL cycle of 36 months, but still, I would add a couple of months because of the different platform.
Does this match with Intel's other statements about MTL? Yes. If MTL mobile is to launch in end of 2023, and MTL-P powered on T-18 months ago, then it would fit in the dev cycle as RPL powered on 15 months before it launched. So it seems like MTL has an extra dev cycle time of +3 months compared to RPL, and -3 months compared to ADL.
So overall, I strongly believe that MTL-S got cancelled in the middle of the design aspect of the development cycle. Meaning that Tom saying that Intel's execution of MTL sucked which is why they cancelled, I believe, is incorrect. Maybe they didn't want to risk creating such a big compute tile on Intel 4, or they didn't want to spend more on developing more compute tiles for desktop, or maybe they didn't want to limit mobile stock, but considering that it was cancelled so early in the design process, I don't think it's because of execution problems.
But was MTL-S ever seriously planned?
At the end of July 2021, Intel announced Meteor Lake going up to the 125 watt power range. This is the main justification that Tom, and many others, use that Intel had always planned for a MTL-S lineup. And while that is true, we have to think about the time frame of these events. Even if we say Intel, at the time, planned for MTL-S to release at the end of 2023 (with no RPL-R refresh in mind), that would put MTL-S a good 30 months away. And keep in mind, when this event took place, the fact that Intel thought they would have a meteor lake desktop variant had probably already been in mind for a couple of months as well, considering that announcements publicly aren't when the decision in company had been made. What this means was that MTL was probably in the very VERY early stages of design, if even that....
And if you need any further confirmation of this timeline, keep in mind other aspects of Intel products that would be released in around the same timeframe were ALSO changed. Granite Rapids was announced to be on Intel 4 in that event, and MTL was also supposed to scale up to 192 EUs, which also doesn't seem like it's happening anymore.
What I think ACTUALLY happened
So, Tom had been insisting about a MTL-S complete lineup in his past 3 major Intel leak videos. This is despite other leakers like Kopite and Raichu having differing views. However the way and reason Tom claimed MTL-S, or atleast the highest end of it, isn't coming out, gives him a win-win situation. If MTL high end DOES come out, he can point to his old videos and claim that Intel fixed whatever recent execution issues they had with MTL, and are therefore launching a HCC MTL-S model. However, if they don't launch a HCC MTL-S model, he can point to this video and claim that he always knew Meteor Lake-s was facing issues and that's why they cancelled.
And the reason why he released THIS video when he did, I believe, is not because of any inside info about execution issues with the HCC models THIS late in the development cycle, but rather because we are ~12-15 months away from a 1Q 2024 MTL-S launch, but he also must have seen a striking lack of ES-1 and early validation of those HCC MTL-S models.... which SHOULD have been happening IF they existed.

Reactions: ftt and Joe NYC

Henry swagger

Feb 9, 2022

This basement dwelling fraud should be banned

• Haha
Reactions: Geddagod

Kepler_L2

Sep 6, 2020
By the way we know from the leaked roadmap that MTL-S gets 64EUs. We know that Intel uses the lowest variant for desktop because iGPU performance doesn't really matter there. 64EU must be GT1 variant not GT2. If there is a GT3 this is likely only for some selected premium SKUs, it only makes sense if there is a 192EU variant which doesn't seem to be the case. At the moment there is only GT2 listed.

INTEL_MTL_M_GT2, "MeteorLake-M GT2" },
INTEL_MTL_P_GT2_1, "MeteorLake-P GT2" },
INTEL_MTL_P_GT2_2, "MeteorLake-P GT2" },
INTEL_MTL_P_GT2_3, "MeteorLake-P GT2" },
INTEL_MTL_P_GT2_4, "Meteorlake-P GT2" },

User commentary is required in the CPU forum. Just a link is not sufficient. -Moderator Shmee

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mikk

Geddagod

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2021
Just because someone believes that Intel is NOT god, does not make him a troll. You are doing pretty good at coming close to that though.
Nope MLID is just a <redacted> leaker.
Check out my (very generous) estimation of MLID leak accuracy for Intel at 66%. Though more accurately it should be <60% after I make some corrections.
This is in comparison of other leakers, like Raichu, who have 90% accuracies from the who's who of leaks.
While obviously both of these estimations are unprofessional and bound to have mistakes, the general point is that MLID is NOT up to par with other leakers.
What's even worse is that he refuses to admit his mistakes, deletes videos where he got leaks wrong, and has a humongous ego.
Plus he rips off other leakers leaks, his most recent MTL/ARL leaks from his 2 most recent leak videos about those products are a great example of that:
  • ARL P uses 20A while ARL S uses TSMC 3nm - ripped off Raichu
  • MTL might have a limited desktop presence and coincide with a quick launch of ARL - ripped off Raichu
  • MTL low end ARL high end - ripped off Kopite
Hell he was ripping off Raichu even before he started leaking these 2 next generations, with the information that ADL might be able to compete with the 5950x and not just the 5900x....
His leaks are bad, his attitude is bad, and he is constantly puts out super optimistic stuff for both Intel AND AMD and then claims "delays" or "failed execution" caused massive problems, or that he knew it all along:
  • Zen 3 launch date (this might have an inkling of truth in it due to covid)
  • Zen 4 IPC figures
  • RDNA 3 clock speeds
  • Idk what his excuse is going to be for Zen 5 but he also claimed that AMD is going to push that out at the end of 2023 when AMD confirmed it's a 2024 product (this one isn't that bad though tbh, time frame is pretty close)
  • His recent MTL leak
  • His entire ARC drama and the mythical A780
Also it's not just @Henry swagger who thinks MLID is pretty bad, a lot of people do too. There's a reason his leaks get laughed out of the room in many tech discussion forums outside youtube and twitter.
I'm also pretty sure Exist50 thinks MLID is a bad leaker too, but I doubt you're willing to confront him the same way you did Henry swagger considering how Exist50 demolished your Sapphire Rapids vs Genoa power draw estimations in the Intel Current and Future Lakes thread around a month ago. Funny you said he was trolling you too....
I just think it's ironic that you accuse other people (including me at one point, I think, on one of my first couple of posts ever in the Anandtech Forums) of trolling.

Profanity is not allowed in the technical forums. Thanks, Moderator Shmee

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Nope MLID is just a <redacted> leaker.
Check out my (very generous) estimation of MLID leak accuracy for Intel at 66%. Though more accurately it should be <60% after I make some corrections.
This is in comparison of other leakers, like Raichu, who have 90% accuracies from the who's who of leaks.
While obviously both of these estimations are unprofessional and bound to have mistakes, the general point is that MLID is NOT up to par with other leakers.
What's even worse is that he refuses to admit his mistakes, deletes videos where he got leaks wrong, and has a humongous ego.
Plus he rips off other leakers leaks, his most recent MTL/ARL leaks from his 2 most recent leak videos about those products are a great example of that:
  • ARL P uses 20A while ARL S uses TSMC 3nm - ripped off Raichu
  • MTL might have a limited desktop presence and coincide with a quick launch of ARL - ripped off Raichu
  • MTL low end ARL high end - ripped off Kopite
Hell he was ripping off Raichu even before he started leaking these 2 next generations, with the information that ADL might be able to compete with the 5950x and not just the 5900x....
His leaks are bad, his attitude is bad, and he is constantly puts out super optimistic stuff for both Intel AND AMD and then claims "delays" or "failed execution" caused massive problems, or that he knew it all along:
  • Zen 3 launch date (this might have an inkling of truth in it due to covid)
  • Zen 4 IPC figures
  • RDNA 3 clock speeds
  • Idk what his excuse is going to be for Zen 5 but he also claimed that AMD is going to push that out at the end of 2023 when AMD confirmed it's a 2024 product (this one isn't that bad though tbh, time frame is pretty close)
  • His recent MTL leak
  • His entire ARC drama and the mythical A780
Also it's not just @Henry swagger who thinks MLID is pretty bad, a lot of people do too. There's a reason his leaks get laughed out of the room in many tech discussion forums outside youtube and twitter.
I'm also pretty sure Exist50 thinks MLID is a bad leaker too, but I doubt you're willing to confront him the same way you did Henry swagger considering how Exist50 demolished your Sapphire Rapids vs Genoa power draw estimations in the Intel Current and Future Lakes thread around a month ago. Funny you said he was trolling you too....
I just think it's ironic that you accuse other people (including me at one point, I think, on one of my first couple of posts ever in the Anandtech Forums) of trolling.
Talk about crazy stuff. So Henry calls Joe a troll for using MLID as a leaker and says he should be banned. I say Henry is as bad for this. Then you support Henry, but Joe likes you supporting Henry Insulting him. And all of this is whether a leaker should be believed or not.

Reactions: Joe NYC

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
IF this ends up true, I just want to add, Raichu leaked this 7 months ago, and Kopite Kimi wasn't far behind at 5 months ago.
Lets do a deeper analysis of when this most likely would have been cancelled.
Based on Intel's Raptor Lake development cycle:
7 months ago we heard that MTL and ARL will both compose a one generation product. Lets use the worst case scenario and say that was exactly when it was cancelled, though likely the decision probably would have been made a couple months before that even since leaks don't immediately match up to when events occur.
Analysis of when MTL-S could have been cancelled
Based on an 1Q 2024 launch date, the rumors of cancellation would be ~ T-22 months in the development cycle. This would place it at the very end of the design phase, right before a A0 Tape-In.
However, it is important to remember that A) the official decision to cancel likely happened a bit before the rumors caught wind of it B) MTL-S might launch later than 1Q 2024 and most importantly, C) the RPL development cycle was shorter because it shared the same basic architecture AND platform as ADL. 6 months shorter according to Intel themselves. Since MTL is supposed to be an improvement of Golden Cove/ Raptor Cove, I doubt the dev cycle would be closer to ADL cycle of 36 months, but still, I would add a couple of months because of the different platform.
Does this match with Intel's other statements about MTL? Yes. If MTL mobile is to launch in end of 2023, and MTL-P powered on T-18 months ago, then it would fit in the dev cycle as RPL powered on 15 months before it launched. So it seems like MTL has an extra dev cycle time of +3 months compared to RPL, and -3 months compared to ADL.
So overall, I strongly believe that MTL-S got cancelled in the middle of the design aspect of the development cycle. Meaning that Tom saying that Intel's execution of MTL sucked which is why they cancelled, I believe, is incorrect. Maybe they didn't want to risk creating such a big compute tile on Intel 4, or they didn't want to spend more on developing more compute tiles for desktop, or maybe they didn't want to limit mobile stock, but considering that it was cancelled so early in the design process, I don't think it's because of execution problems.
But was MTL-S ever seriously planned?
At the end of July 2021, Intel announced Meteor Lake going up to the 125 watt power range. This is the main justification that Tom, and many others, use that Intel had always planned for a MTL-S lineup. And while that is true, we have to think about the time frame of these events. Even if we say Intel, at the time, planned for MTL-S to release at the end of 2023 (with no RPL-R refresh in mind), that would put MTL-S a good 30 months away. And keep in mind, when this event took place, the fact that Intel thought they would have a meteor lake desktop variant had probably already been in mind for a couple of months as well, considering that announcements publicly aren't when the decision in company had been made. What this means was that MTL was probably in the very VERY early stages of design, if even that....
And if you need any further confirmation of this timeline, keep in mind other aspects of Intel products that would be released in around the same timeframe were ALSO changed. Granite Rapids was announced to be on Intel 4 in that event, and MTL was also supposed to scale up to 192 EUs, which also doesn't seem like it's happening anymore.
What I think ACTUALLY happened
So, Tom had been insisting about a MTL-S complete lineup in his past 3 major Intel leak videos. This is despite other leakers like Kopite and Raichu having differing views. However the way and reason Tom claimed MTL-S, or atleast the highest end of it, isn't coming out, gives him a win-win situation. If MTL high end DOES come out, he can point to his old videos and claim that Intel fixed whatever recent execution issues they had with MTL, and are therefore launching a HCC MTL-S model. However, if they don't launch a HCC MTL-S model, he can point to this video and claim that he always knew Meteor Lake-s was facing issues and that's why they cancelled.
And the reason why he released THIS video when he did, I believe, is not because of any inside info about execution issues with the HCC models THIS late in the development cycle, but rather because we are ~12-15 months away from a 1Q 2024 MTL-S launch, but he also must have seen a striking lack of ES-1 and early validation of those HCC MTL-S models.... which SHOULD have been happening IF they existed.

Hot take: What if mobile meteor lake scales up to 125W and this is what Intel was referring to. 😉

Joe NYC

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2021
Talk about crazy stuff. So Henry calls Joe a troll for using MLID as a leaker and says he should be banned. I say Henry is as bad for this. Then you support Henry, but Joe likes you supporting Henry Insulting him. And all of this is whether a leaker should be believed or not.

I liked some of Geddagod analysis of leaks, their history and track record. Which is a good background info.

(Also, his other post where he speculated on timelines, and when certain decision would have to happen that would result in current state of product development / schedule) was a good analysis.

I think Henry swagger called Tom at MLID a "basement dwelling fraud" (not me). At least that's how I read it. His recording studio looks a little bit like a basement or attic.

The way I look at leaks and leakers (and value them) is when they provide some info, when there was none before.

Good example of that would be MLID video on Mi300 datacenter GPU.

For the rest, for information / leaks / analysis, from multiple sources - they provide range of expectations.

Then there is a whole category of rumors, rather than leaks, of, say Company X preparing Chip Y in certain time frame that will have certain characteristics - rumors that are not on any roadmaps yet. So, something to look forward to in the future, but very low likelihood that we will get from here to that product on a straight line.

So, I am not really "mad" when at any of the leakers, analysts who miss the target. Or would expect the past track record predict the future track record (as far as leaks), because you get what you get (from sources). As far as analysis, yeah, the track record matters more there.

Another point: One way to get the right answer is to present the wrong answer. And if they have good contacts in the industry, they may get someone to contact them to correct them.

Last edited:

TESKATLIPOKA

Platinum Member
May 1, 2020
I think Henry swagger called Tom at MLID a "basement dwelling fraud" (not me). At least that's how I read it. His recording studio looks a little bit like a basement or attic.
I think so, too. Henry swagger was not talking about you but about MLID.
I won't comment If his name-calling was justified or not, but I also don't have a high opinion about MLID.
That's just my two cents.

Tomorrow is Christmas, so to all of you who celebrate Christmas, I wish you a merry Christmas.
To all of you who don't celebrate It, I wish you a nice weekend. :)

Last edited:

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012

Ouch we need indeed a GT3 for 128EUs. There is no GT1 by the looks of it though, so we can still hope GT3 will be the new standard for mobile rather than GT2 because GT2 seems to be the new default for desktop instead of GT1.

INTEL_PLATFORM_MTL_P:
if (intel_device_info_eu_total(devinfo) <= 64)
return intel_oa_register_queries_mtlgt2;
if (intel_device_info_eu_total(devinfo) <= 128)
return intel_oa_register_queries_mtlgt3;