Discussion Intel Meteor, Arrow, Lunar & Panther Lakes Discussion Threads

Page 295 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tigerick

Apr 1, 2022
PPT1.jpg
PPT2.jpg
PPT3.jpg

As Hot Chips 34 starting this week, Intel will unveil technical information of upcoming Meteor Lake (MTL) and Arrow Lake (ARL), new generation platform after Raptor Lake. Both MTL and ARL represent new direction which Intel will move to multiple chiplets and combine as one SoC platform.

MTL also represents new compute tile that based on Intel 4 process which is based on EUV lithography, a first from Intel. Intel expects to ship MTL mobile SoC in 2023.

ARL will come after MTL so Intel should be shipping it in 2024, that is what Intel roadmap is telling us. ARL compute tile will be manufactured by Intel 20A process, a first from Intel to use GAA transistors called RibbonFET.

Comparison of upcoming Intel's U-series CPU: Core Ultra 100U, Lunar Lake and Panther Lake

ModelCode-NameDateTDPNodeTilesMain TileCPULP E-CoreLLCGPUXe-cores
Core Ultra 100UMeteor LakeQ4 202315 - 57 WIntel 4 + N5 + N64tCPU2P + 8E212 MBIntel Graphics4
?Lunar LakeQ4 202417 - 30 WN3B + N62CPU + GPU & IMC4P + 4E08 MBArc8
?Panther LakeQ1 2026 ??Intel 18A + N3E3CPU + MC4P + 8E4?Arc12

Comparison of die size of Each Tile of Meteor Lake, Arrow Lake, Lunar Lake and Panther Lake

Meteor LakeArrow Lake (20A)Arrow Lake (N3B)Arrow Lake Refresh (N3B)Lunar LakePanther Lake
PlatformMobile H/U OnlyDesktop OnlyDesktop & Mobile H&HXDesktop OnlyMobile U OnlyMobile H
Process NodeIntel 4Intel 20ATSMC N3BTSMC N3BTSMC N3BIntel 18A
DateQ4 2023Q1 2025 ?Desktop-Q4-2024
H&HX-Q1-2025
Q4 2025 ?Q4 2024Q1 2026 ?
Full Die6P + 8P6P + 8E ?8P + 16E8P + 32E4P + 4E4P + 8E
LLC24 MB24 MB ?36 MB ??8 MB?
tCPU66.48
tGPU44.45
SoC96.77
IOE44.45
Total252.15

Intel Core Ultra 100 - Meteor Lake

INTEL-CORE-100-ULTRA-METEOR-LAKE-OFFCIAL-SLIDE-2.jpg

As mentioned by Tomshardware, TSMC will manufacture the I/O, SoC, and GPU tiles. That means Intel will manufacture only the CPU and Foveros tiles. (Notably, Intel calls the I/O tile an 'I/O Expander,' hence the IOE moniker.)

Clockspeed.png

Attachments

• PantherLake.png
    PantherLake.png
    283.5 KB · Views: 23,959
  • LNL.png
    LNL.png
    881.8 KB · Views: 25,428
Last edited:

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
C&C is continuing their MTL investigation, this time with an article on the NPU:

In summary, it looks like the NPU is of limited use because of the data types it supports (or rather, doesn't support). And of the cases it does support, the NPU offers lower power but not necessarily higher performance. The author seems to think that the iGPU is the better approach here because it's more powerful and more flexible, even at the cost of higher power because there's many situations where you can plug in a laptop these days. That is, until Intel develops a NPU which does cover more use cases with higher performance while continuing to use lower power.
Meteor Lake’s NPU is a fascinating accelerator. But its has narrow use cases and benefits. If I used AI day to day, I would run off-the-shelf models on the iGPU and enjoy better performance while spending less time getting the damn thing running. It probably makes sense when trying to stretch battery life, but I find myself almost never running off battery power. Even economy class plane seats have power outlets these days. Hopefully Intel will iterate on both hardware and software to expand NPU use cases going forward. GPU compute evolved over the past 15 years to reach a reasonably usable state today. There’s something magical about seeing work offloaded to a low power block, and I hope the same evolution happens with NPUs.

Last edited:

Khato

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2001
Oh no! Why did he stop at 150W???

@Khato , did you do any further testing at higher PL1 values?
Negative, didn't see a need to as it'd just continue the same trend. 18W per core is already well into the realm of diminishing efficiency for P cores, and well beyond the maximum the E cores will take.

With respect to SMT, in the 'perfect' workload for it which CB23 is, it's of greatest benefit at the highest power levels. Maybe I'll do a fixed frequency test to confirm actual performance and power increase, but lets assume 1.5x perf for 1.5x power to keep it simple for now. With a fixed 18W per core power limit that means non-SMT runs at the 18W frequency (say 5GHz) while SMT runs at the 12W frequency (say 4.4GHz.) Such results in SMT having a 6.6GHz effective performance, right around 30% above non-SMT. But as power per core goes down to something more like the 4W seen in mobile and servers the V/F curve is nowhere near so punishing, so the benefit of SMT drops.

Basically, my guess is that Intel dropping SMT won't have much of an impact. Improvements in the E-cores are going to negate the losses on the high power desktop side where removal of SMT would otherwise have the greatest impact. Mobile is probably going to come out ahead since the E-cores should be doing most of the multithreading work there anyway. And in server it just draws a clearer line in the segmentation between P-core and E-core based designs.

Oh, and for those concerned about 2 P-cores with ample E-core backup being inadequate for gaming? Don't be. While it's definitely true that many modern games benefit from having 8+ cores they need not be equal in their capabilities to extract that benefit. Most that I've seen still only have 2 'heavy' threads while the remainder are 'light'.

Panino Manino

Jan 28, 2017
C&C is continuing their MTL investigation, this time with an article on the NPU:

In summary, it looks like the NPU is of limited use because of the data types it supports (or rather, doesn't support). And of the cases it does support, the NPU offers lower power but not necessarily higher performance. The author seems to think that the iGPU is the better approach here because it's more powerful and more flexible, even at the cost of higher power because there's many situations where you can plug in a laptop these days. That is, until Intel develops a NPU which does cover more use cases with higher performance while continuing to use lower power.

Isn't it enough for Windows tasks, CoPilot, etc?
In theory the NPU may be disappointing, but in practice may give the average user some relevant extra battery time.

Ghostsonplanets

Mar 1, 2024
Isn't it enough for Windows tasks, CoPilot, etc?
In theory the NPU may be disappointing, but in practice may give the average user some relevant extra battery time.
Considering it doesn’t support future AI PC Windows features, it doesn’t seem so for MS.

Intel is growing up both NPU and GPU MatMul in next generations. In special GPU with the debut of of XMX on iGPUs starting with Lunar Lake and Arrow Lake.