Discussion Intel leading customer for TSMC 3nm?

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
You mean Monette? Quad core zen3 ccx with a small RDNA2 iGPU produced on what is speculated to be 12lp+? That's probably going to be larger than Raven Ridge, even accounting for the density improvement in 12lp+.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Intel is, as of Q3 2021, still selling more 14nm Xeons than 10nm Xeons. People are on wait lists to get Milan.
You can get one right now if you want 24 or 64 cores, maybe others too

Edit: i just noticed that is an ES chip. There are retail ones there though.

Reactions: Drazick and Tlh97

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
My favorite Xeons are the ones that OC :p Westmeres, such as the X5660(I have bought two), or the Haswell-EP E5-1660v3 are great chips. I was also tempted to get an Ivybridge-EP E5-1680v2 for the X79 board I had. Unfortunately the newer Xeons give us no such luck :C

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Edit: i just noticed that is an ES chip. There are retail ones there though.

You can get individual workstations and servers from OEMs in small quantity, but if you're looking to kit out a datacentre, wait in line. Demand for Milan is high.

Point being, it's not logical to assume that Intel is about to make a major breakthrough in the server sector when people are still buying Cascade Lake-SP over Ice Lake-SP even when Milan is nearly impossible to get. Genoa v. Sapphire Rapids is just going to make things worse, not better, no matter how biased the market may still be towards Intel (as mentioned by @remsplease )

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Intel is, as of Q3 2021, still selling more 14nm Xeons than 10nm Xeons.
No surprise really if you consider that Skylake and with it "Scalable Processors" only arrived in 2017, and Ice Lake still is the only non-14nm family available there. One major reason AMD trumps Intel so much in servers is that AMD serves servers first with new families while Intel does so last (or second, by the way of skipping desktop with Ice Lake).

Reactions: Tlh97

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
No surprise really if you consider that Skylake and with it "Scalable Processors" only arrived in 2017, and Ice Lake still is the only non-14nm family available there.

Intel had Skylake-SP ready-to-go less than two years after the 6700k launch. The official launch of Skylake-SP lagged about 6 months behind before ODM shipments of early silicon. IceLake-SP's launch was far more problematic, with actual quantity (still unknown, by the way) coming about three years after IceLake-U hit the scene.

Also it should be noted that Skylake-SP was not the first 14nm server CPU Intel produced. Broadwell Xeons launched about a year after Broadwell mobile chips hit the scene.