Intel i7-9700 (non-K). Anyone have one?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
Thanks. Tall case. Room for at least a 120x240 rad up top, maybe bigger. But from the 200mm fan on the face, with screw-holes for 4x120mm fans, I would say that it is built for air cooling. I am impressed by the 6x5.25" slots up front, and 10xPCIe slots in back.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
What radiator options does that case have, it looks nice.

Not all that many. It's more of an air-cooling case than water. According to EK, it can fit 1x240mm rad and 2x120mm rads which is, frankly, underwhelming. That's why I'm going for an external rad with a pass-through out the back of the case. And yes, you got the link right.

@ehume

Exactly. I picked it to host an NH-d15 and to do away with the janky desk fan I was using for perpendicular air flow through the side of the case on my last build. It worked but it was fugly. I was thinking of getting a new WC-centric case, but then I realized I can just put a MO-RA3 and pump(s) outside the case. Problem solved.

Reactions: ehume

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Not all that many. It's more of an air-cooling case than water. According to EK, it can fit 1x240mm rad and 2x120mm rads which is, frankly, underwhelming. That's why I'm going for an external rad with a pass-through out the back of the case. And yes, you got the link right.

@ehume

Exactly. I picked it to host an NH-d15 and to do away with the janky desk fan I was using for perpendicular air flow through the side of the case on my last build. It worked but it was fugly. I was thinking of getting a new WC-centric case, but then I realized I can just put a MO-RA3 and pump(s) outside the case. Problem solved.
I have to tell you, my Thermaltake tower 900 is ideal for watercooling, but it is HUGE. I knew it was when I ordered it, but until you see it in person, you have no idea. We are talking small refrigerator.

On the plus side, with the 2 rads I have in it, it keeps my 32 core 64 thread beast cool, even at 4 ghz. You would never need that MO-RA3 with this case. Look in cases and cooling member gallery for mine, close to the end.

2 x 420 rads will cool anything. And I have not looked but it may support more.

Last edited:
Reactions: john3850

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
2 x 420 rads will cool anything. And I have not looked but it may support more.

A MO-RA3 420 LT (what I'm getting) is 3 420mm rads built into one unit. With less flow resistance. It's beastly.

But hey going a bit off-topic here.

john3850

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2002
If I lived in a hot location I would use a MO-RA3 420 LT rad and place it near ac.

Last edited:

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
My case is a wind tunnel. It's a Rosewill Thor v2 with all the stock case fans @ 100%. Best setup I've had to date, I think.

I feel the same way about my Meshify C Mini. The old me loved my Antec 900/1200 but these days i like a nice practical Micro Atx motherboard as i am a single gpu no add in card kind of user. Only fits the bill to have a equally practical case and i think as far as Microatx goes the Meshify c is ahead of the curve. I could go very quiet on the build or go for max performance and either way my case choice was good. Removing the front filter made serious improvements to airflow and my choice of fans at the end of the day limit just how well the case is cooled. Currently got 2 front 140s pushing in over 100cfm and the rear 120mm pushing closer to 100. Maybe i got some ocd or something but every time i go quiet and see 5 cel higher gpu temps i suddenly ramp the fans right back to 100%. I had the 1200 fans maxed out too.

Given this was also my first Fractal case, i am absolutely sold on this brand and it was a pleasure to build in. You can still be half lazy and at the end of the day still have excellent cable management with this case. It took a miracle to get my old Antec 900 to look half as good with twice the work.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@mopardude87

Only problem I have with old-school front-to-back cooling along the Antec 900 strategy is that you aren't getting anything coming in from the side panel. Having perpendicular airflow from a huge side panel fan really helps with RAM and VRM heatsinks, especially when you don't have a stock cooler providing that kind of airflow across restricted parts of the motherboard.

Not sure anyone running a 9700 would have to worry about that since it's not a very extreme chip in any regard, mind you.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
@mopardude87

Only problem I have with old-school front-to-back cooling along the Antec 900 strategy is that you aren't getting anything coming in from the side panel. Having perpendicular airflow from a huge side panel fan really helps with RAM and VRM heatsinks, especially when you don't have a stock cooler providing that kind of airflow across restricted parts of the motherboard.

Not sure anyone running a 9700 would have to worry about that since it's not a very extreme chip in any regard, mind you.

I know the ram in this case gets good air,if anything the ram seems to sort of block some of the air given how the placement of the 140mm fans. I guess most of those cases with big side fans may be ignoring any potential cable management? I know some have no clear side so i would argue who cares as long as it doesn't obstruct airflow.

The big move that had me dropping the 900 like a bad habit was when i couldn't no longer use the side fan with the 212 installed. Maybe my bad for not checking exact measurements but i swear on a stack of bibles i have put other variants of the 212 and other tower coolers in here without it being a issue. Maybe the thickness of the 900 shrunk a bit and i didn't notice? I know they love to update that case. Add in the rats nest i had to keep looking at and i was done. I did a fair job with management but it was also cramped so it had many more marks going against it then for. I was sad to replace it though given it was the focus of many builds going as far back as 2007. The 1200 was easier to work with but all good things come to a end and if and when i found a used one people think they have gold and ask some insane prices for it.

I had a brief run in with a Antec GX500 and dang it i loved that case too but there was some wasted potential with that god awful hard drive cage in the way of the bottom fan. If i had that case today i would have went looney tunes on it and yanked out the cage at any price. Antec has always had a obsession with hard drive cages and i find them a absolute eye sore today when i simply have a single 2.5inch ssd which you can strap it to anything but Tom Sellecks mustache.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
It may look half-@$$ed now. Across the years I went from filing those edges (empty case until cleanup was finished) to cut pieces of report covers to Gorilla tape. Try the tape. I make everything look neat + you cab lift it without cutting yourself.

Will look into that,i just removed the rear honeycomb trash and not even kidding the airflow just opened up. Getting more airflow out of a CM 69 CFM fan then i even did with a fan pushing 91CFM. Of course the restrictive nature of the honeycomb cover made the fan feel like its pushing out less then i guess 40CFM while making a bunch more noise to boot. I forgot how restrictive it was but dang a world of difference.

Not gonna bother with any sort of cover, if the pc is on my hands simply aren't going back there and i got no kids or anyone who would be back there anyways. Swapped out some fans to hook to my mobo headers.

taggen86

Aug 13, 2019
Did you buy the 9700? what was the all core clock? Thinking about buying one myself. Here in Sweden it is around 80 USD cheaper than the 9700k.

DamZe

May 18, 2016
I have one, and it fairs relatively well on my ASRock b360m pro4.

Note its not being cooled by the crappy stock cooler, but a DeepCool Gammaxx 300 in a very cool SilverStone PS07 case.

EDIT: Also one needs to tweak the max turbo power limit short/long term in BIOS on B360 boards as these will severely power-limit throttle after 15 seconds or so when stressed to the max. I put mine to 95W to be on the safe side (long term all-core turbo) knowing that my board can sustain that within spec.

Last edited: