Intel i7 3770K vs 3770T

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Are you sure about that? We're talking about PCI I/O here. And GPU virtualization is at its infancy currently and I'm expecting it'll be much more advanced in the future. I am talking about fully functional GPU (DirectX, OpenGL/OpenCL, whatever that GPU does now) on a VM.

Hyper-V with RemoteFX is a good example. Full GPU virtualization.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Hmm.. that is interesting. Do you think it can become as convenient as current memory virtualization without IOMMU/VT-d on a desktop/workstation environment? Such as real-time hot-swapping among different VMs, power on/off with a VM with S3, discovery over network, or even real-time PCIe bandwidth adjustment and (gasp) SLI/CF, etc.

It's a question. That'd be great if GPU virtualization can become as easy as current memory virtualization in the future.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Running Hyper-V at home with remoteFX is quite easy. We already tried it at work to play a few games. All individual VMs that you can do whatever you like with. So I dont see how it could become even easier.

On a VRAM sidenote, 4GB+ easily goes well there with a GPU ;)

I dont really understand with fasination with VT-D and the often forgotten VT-C. They are very niche in their usefulness. Its also funny that its first when we see the feature listed very clearly that we think we miss it. People didnt select x38/q35 chipsets in 2007 due to VT-D. Because basicly nobody knew it was there.

Also its not called IOMMU anymore if you think AMD. Its called AMD-Vi.

Last edited:

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
If you're referring to me as to VT-d fascination, no I am not fascinated about VT-d. I am interested about GPU virtualization on my desktop and curious about how it'll develop in the future.

I think this is enough off-topic.. I'll make a thread if I want to know more. (or maybe someone else will)

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
I wasnt refering to you. Sorry if it felt that way. I just see it pop up everywhere that people think they must miss something if x feature aint on their CPU. vpro thats a business feature is another funny example for gamers.

gramboh

Platinum Member
May 3, 2003
Isn't it likely that a given 3770T will have lower VIDs are various frequencies than a given 3770K? I thought Intel would bin the CPUs that way to stay within the lower TDP envelops. It's not just the turbo speeds that would be different. With a 3770K you'd have to play around with testing offset voltage/underclocking to figure out the lowest stable power, 3770T would be plug n play, unless I am missing something.

Feb 25, 2011
With a 3770K you'd have to play around with testing offset voltage/underclocking to figure out the lowest stable power, 3770T would be plug n play, unless I am missing something.
Nope, that's pretty much it. -T chips are undervolted a fair amount, underclocked slightly, and have lower turbo boost speeds. That's really the only difference.