Intel i5 3570k-$169/i7 3770k-$229 (Microcenter)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Thank you.

However do you or anyone have any recomendations for which ones are best or to stay away from?

Thanks again!

Things like a persons budget, need for certain features such as sata ports, firewire, sli-support, form factor, overclocking, etc. make it hard to make a blind suggestion.

zettler

Nov 16, 1999
Things like a persons budget, need for certain features such as sata ports, firewire, sli-support, form factor, overclocking, etc. make it hard to make a blind suggestion.

True. I just thought someone had suggested a Gigabyte MB and while I used one a build back I wasn't impressed.

She does light gaming, internet obviously, into Marvel comics, works as a producer at a radio and TV station so might do some audio-visual editing, etc.

Not into OC. I have a case already (desktop/tower) so just want a dependable MB recomendation or two that will keep price reasonable so I have money left over for SSD and the like - just maximizing what I have with what's out there...

Thanks again.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
True. I just thought someone had suggested a Gigabyte MB and while I used one a build back I wasn't impressed.

She does light gaming, internet obviously, into Marvel comics, works as a producer at a radio and TV station so might do some audio-visual editing, etc.

Not into OC. I have a case already (desktop/tower) so just want a dependable MB recomendation or two that will keep price reasonable so I have money left over for SSD and the like - just maximizing what I have with what's out there...

Thanks again.

The no desire to OC eliminates most of the issues with the lower costing motherboards. Just get something with a z77 chipset and you should be fine.

I don't like to suggest motherboards as there is always the possibility of getting one that is DOA or defective....But for a basic build the following one looks interesting to me at least.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/401769/Z77A-G41_LGA_1155_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

There are a few other choices that would also be good candidates, no need to go any higher up the food chain than the AsrockZ77 Extreme4 for example.

If your gonna use the iGPU then you'd want to make sure your motherboard choice has the connector you'd be using....Such as hdmi, dvi, etc.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
If anyone would be willing to ship one of those 3570K while they are @ $169, please PM me!

They haven't been $169 for a couple months. Also, it was plus tax, plus shipping. Right now pricing is $189.99. Will end up at least $210 after tax/shipping.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
picked up that combo this past weekend :D

just waitin on my Nanoxia DS1 case from NewEgg to set it up!

Hope you have better luck than I did with them. 2 of those boards, both with issues for me and I got them from MC. If for some reason you get some duds like I did, try the MSI board in my sig, I like it better in every way. I also got it from MC.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
I saw this in my email. HOT, even with pending Haswell release. Seriously, HOT.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I wish haswell would hurry up and arrive. Since I use the cpu's gpu; I'm really holding out for the hd500 boost. If i used a dedicated gpu I would be all over this I think (though I'm not sure there is much a boost over the SB; which MC sold quite cheaply).

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Haswell isn't providing any performance advantages, just graphics and maybe less power consumption. This is a great deal. Wish the MC in the Bay Area hadn't closed.

Sentrosi2121

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2004
Just want to confirm this. Can I can take this price to Best Buy and they'll match it up in New York? Because....damn. This is too good a deal to pass! Been wanting to upgrade my Q9650 for about 4 months now.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Haswell isn't providing any performance advantages, just graphics and maybe less power consumption. This is a great deal. Wish the MC in the Bay Area hadn't closed.

I think the expectation is ~5-10% increase in IPC, but the big improvement is the rumor that Intel was going back to solder between the IHS instead of thermal paste. Benefit of solder may be offset by the rumor that Haswell is going to draw more power than IVB for same range of parts.

Anyways, I will probably go ahead and pick up a 3770K and Asrock Extreme 4 this weekend. If it turns out Haswell is more interesting I'll just return the 3770K within 30 days. Should give me 2 weeks or so to decide and this way I won't be stuck without options.

The0ne

Jan 3, 2006
Just want to confirm this. Can I can take this price to Best Buy and they'll match it up in New York? Because....damn. This is too good a deal to pass! Been wanting to upgrade my Q9650 for about 4 months now.

This is their best deal on cpu/mb combos. I been waiting all year and 2 weeks before they had the sale and I couldn't wait anymore I bought the parts from neweggs combo. Lost at least $40 in comparison but wanted computer build and sent to nephew. Thereofre, no biggie :)

I may build another one just for the heck of it, mid-atx case this time like I did with my nephew. Then again, Haswell and I can afford to wait hehe

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Best Buy might match it if it is in their ad but Best Buy does not sell CPUs.

qliveur

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2007
Bull-ony. Haswell should provide a ~10% IPC increase over Ivy Bridge, just like Sandy Bridge did compared to Nehalem and Nerhalem did compared to Penryn. Not to mention that the GPU improvements should make Quick Sync that much more awesome than it already is.

I'm waiting. :colbert:

Last edited:

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Bull-ony. Haswell should provide a ~10% IPC increase over Ivy Bridge, just like Sandy Bridge did compared to Nehalem and Nerhalem did compared to Penryn. Not to mention that the GPU improvements should make Quick Sync that much more awesome than it already is.

I'm waiting. :colbert:

We will see when it comes out. I saw some benchmarks on a chinese website and they showed 0-3% core performance improvement.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
At this price, I'm tempted to hedge my bets and get two 3770K + UD5H sets.

If (4770K == non-airbrushed version of *someHotCeleb*)
set.keep();
else
set.exchange();