Question Intel I-225V chipset 2.5 GbE-T LAN cards appear for sale at Amazon

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
(removed link to crappy card)

Edit: I'm NOT endorsing, or advising one to buy this one. Simply an example of a (purported) standalone I-225V PCI-E x1 card.

The one review left for the above card, does make it seem like a "fake" card.

At least, even with the no-name ebay-special RealTek 2.5GbE-T PCI-E x1 cards, pretty much every single one that I've purchased, worked satisfactorily.

QNAP (legit) version:

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007

Edit: I'm NOT endorsing, or advising one to buy this one. Simply an example of a (purported) standalone I-225V PCI-E x1 card.

The one review left for the above card, does make it seem like a "fake" card.

At least, even with the no-name ebay-special RealTek 2.5GbE-T PCI-E x1 cards, pretty much every single one that I've purchased, worked satisfactorily.
PROXMOX is another virtualization platform like VMWare ESXi, so it probably will need (not sure) specialized driver directly from Proxmox (for ESXi, even generic Linux drivers won't work).

Virtualized NIC in each ESXi VM machine is a virtualized INTEL 1G NIC, which actually has no bandwidth limit unless you set a value.

Definitely go with free ESXi which has been on the market for many, many years if you ever want to fiddle with virtual tech.

With virtualization platform, you can use cheap enterprise network gears (40Gbps or even 100Gbps) for the platform and limit each VM's bandwidth for your liking.

Last edited:

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
Any cheap/quality 2.5GbE 5-8 port smart switches? I live in a 1000 sq' condo that is already ran w/ CAT 5E cable, so should be able to easily get 2.5GbE speeds due to the short runs . Come on 2.5GbE or faster cheap/quality smart switches!!!!

Last edited:

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
what kind of media do you run that you need such a fast network. i wish i had a nvme storage array hehe just stuck with 16 and 18tb drives that read and write at like 175mb/s

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
When backing up multiple machines at 50-150GB, even just monthly it starts to add up, time wise. My DRM free game collection of installers from GoG etc. is over 1TB now. Let alone not wanting to waste excess bandwidth redownloading 100GB games or 15GB updates.

Zoozuu

Oct 21, 2020
i just bought one of these an received it yesterday.. very happy copying stuff at 280mb/s. :p also going to get a 10gbe that has two nvme cache drives built in when i find a few switches n network cards that dont suck and also dont use tons of power. i dont need extra heat from a nic being put into a gaming computer..

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranulf