Intel Hires Steve Fund as New Chief Marketing Officer

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Veteran Marketing Executive Picked to Oversee Marketing Operations Worldwide

NEWS HIGHLIGHTS

• Intel has hired marketing executive Steve Fund as its new Chief Marketing Officer.
  • Fund is a veteran marketing and branding expert with extensive experience building some of the world's most recognizable brands.

SANTA CLARA, Calif., May 5, 2014 – Intel Corporation today announced it has named Steven Fund, a senior industry executive with extensive brand and marketing experience managing and building some of the world's most recognizable brands, to the post of corporate vice president and Chief Marketing Officer reporting directly to Intel CEO Brian Krzanich.

Intel said Fund will be responsible for a broad portfolio that includes Intel's global marketing strategy, brand management, product positioning, market research, advertising, partner marketing, retail channel marketing, digital marketing, social media, and global communications. He will join Intel effective June 2.

Source

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Drazick

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Perhaps AMD should have hired this guy instead of that other guy they had.

Aug 11, 2008
Well, as I have said, they certainly need better marketing of BT tablets. Can't even find them displayed in most of the big box stores in my area, and I live in a large city.

I really would like a hands on with the venue 8 pro and the Asus transformer T100, but none of the big box stores, including microcenter, best buy, staples, or office max have them on display. All they show is the expensive surface pro, which is very nice, but if you really want to drive market share you need to promote cheaper devices.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
Well, as I have said, they certainly need better marketing of BT tablets. Can't even find them displayed in most of the big box stores in my area, and I live in a large city.

I really would like a hands on with the venue 8 pro and the Asus transformer T100, but none of the big box stores, including microcenter, best buy, staples, or office max have them on display. All they show is the expensive surface pro, which is very nice, but if you really want to drive market share you need to promote cheaper devices.

instead of a marketer they need someone to actually push out products. ever since they stopped marketing based on clockspeed theyve been obscure about the features of a cpu in a particular device, i cant believe thats useful

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
instead of a marketer they need someone to actually push out products. ever since they stopped marketing based on clockspeed theyve been obscure about the features of a cpu in a particular device, i cant believe thats useful

They stopped marketing based on clockspeed when they realized their clockspeeds were going to essentially stagnate for 3 or more successive nodes spanning 6 or more years.

We've been stuck in 3-4GHz territory for how long now? 3.2GHz P4 northwood came out in 2003.

Performance has gone up, core count has gone up, on-die cache has gone up, IPC has gone up, power consumption has gone down...but clockspeed?

Pretty much a dead-end as far as marketing goes if you want your marketing to convince people to replace their 2yr old CPU with the latest and greatest stuff exiting your fabs.

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
They stopped marketing based on clockspeed when they realized their clockspeeds were going to essentially stagnate for 3 or more successive nodes spanning 6 or more years.

We've been stuck in 3-4GHz territory for how long now? 3.2GHz P4 northwood came out in 2003.

Performance has gone up, core count has gone up, on-die cache has gone up, IPC has gone up, power consumption has gone down...but clockspeed?

Pretty much a dead-end as far as marketing goes if you want your marketing to convince people to replace their 2yr old CPU with the latest and greatest stuff exiting your fabs.
See, I feel that this is a big reason why CPU marketing is harder than ever. Clockspeeds are not moving, core counts have stagnated for a good 5 years now, so what do you have left?

IPC, power consumption, cache,and performance. The problem here is that IPC is really hard to describe to a non-techie, let along market the information effectively. Power consumption is dependent on the application and use case you have and those differ too much for good simple comparisons. Performance as a general description is ok for marketing but it is not concrete like a set clockspeed (3 Ghz!) or core count (It's a QUAD core!). That leaves cache. Which is hard to increase generation after generation, hard to explain to customer why it might decrease in size even though cache latency and performance increased, etc, etc.

The reason why regular people would buy inferior offerings from AMD like Bulldozer is probably due to some of these factors. AMD until recently made a point about emphasizing the core count (ignoring the module/core controversy) and the clockspeed, even if their actual performance went backwards.

Some of these marketing tricks are appearing in ARM chips now.

Last edited:

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008

now when you shop for a machine you have no idea at all what youre getting. are you getting a crappy "atom" pentium, a low voltage i5 clocked in the 1.5 ghz range or a "real" i3/i5. its almost like theyre hiding [stuff] from you. i cant believe that what theyre doing now is effective marketing

Profanity in the technical forums is not allowed. That includes poorly censored profanity.
-ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
I took a double take because I initially read it as "Intel Hires Steve Jobs as New Chief Marketing Officer"