Intel HD 2000 question

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I'm still using the Intel on-board GPU for the moment, and I'm wondering...

In CPUz it gives memory size as -233MB (negative.) What up with that? :confused: It is using memory resource from elsewhere?

Is it possible (or, better, a good idea?) to OC the GT2?

gmaster456

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2011
I could be wrong, but I believe the HD graphics share memory with your ram. I think they also come with 64mb of dedicated Vram, or maybe that was last gen, I can't remember.

PhoenixEnigma

Aug 6, 2011
I could be wrong, but I believe the HD graphics share memory with your ram. I think they also come with 64mb of dedicated Vram, or maybe that was last gen, I can't remember.
Thinking of AMD's Sideport RAM, perhaps?

And yeah, integrated graphics carve out a chunk of main memory to use for themselves.

As for OC'ing the integrated graphics? I'm not sure if it's possible, but even if it is, it's not really worth it, unless you already are playing games that are on the very edge of unplayable. Much much better idea to throw in a cheap dedicated card if you need more GPU performance.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Usually you can overclock the integrated graphics using a Z68 motherboard. The 2500K has HD 3000 btw. Overclocked it could be pretty decent for older games.

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Yeah, you are supposed to set the memory size in your motherboard bios for iGP graphics. Default is 64mb. If you do any type of gaming and such on HD 2000/3000 graphics, if you dont change the memory size, youll get blue screens like crazy. At least, I did.....

And ya, truth of the matter is, the intel integrated graphics are pretty cool but, when you can get an AMD 5450 or GT 520 for $10-$15AR often times, even those are double or triple the speed of integrated graphics.... So in reality, going integrated really only helps with maybe noise and saving $15... Not really sure its worth it.

Last edited:

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Oh fair enough. I was kinda talking more towards the HD 2000 graphics but I didnt realize HD 3000 graphics beat the 5450 by that much.

I had nothing but problems trying to get my HDMI to tv out with sound working using HD 3000 graphics and onboard hdmi port. That was one of the reasons I got a cheap GT 430 instead.... Just sayin.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Usually you can overclock the integrated graphics using a Z68 motherboard. The 2500K has HD 3000 btw. Overclocked it could be pretty decent for older games.

I thought it was HD3000, but CPUz is saying 2000... but I stand corrected.

Yeah, you are supposed to set the memory size in your motherboard bios for iGP graphics. Default is 64mb. If you do any type of gaming and such on HD 2000/3000 graphics, if you dont change the memory size, youll get blue screens like crazy. At least, I did.....

I've been playing MW2 on it, it does pretty fair. I have to get a decent monitor before I spring for a new GPU... there's an eVGA OC'ed 560ti somewhere with my name on it.