Intel Haswell launch delayed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
As much as AMD is behind Intel in the higher performance side of things, "Brazos" is still a better design than the current Atom. I wonder how good the 22nm Atom will be...

Brazos does run at a much higher TDP - 9 W and 18 W. I don't know what happened with Hondo, but if the design wins are only running Windows 8, it's DOA anyway.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Intel wants apple or someone to swoop in and steal the desktop market. If they keep screwing around, somebody is going to eat their lunch. We arent that far from having ipads with mice, keyboards, and some sort of hosted virtual desktop cloud pc app. Such a thing could totally eviscerate intel in a way they cant even imagine. Imagine 90% of intel x86 chip sales being totally wiped out. They need to stop screwing around. 90% of pc users would never be able to tell the difference between a virtual pc running on some server somewhere IF their tablet was connected to a mouse, keyboard and monitor and they have a decent internet connection.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Intel wants apple or someone to swoop in and steal the desktop market. If they keep screwing around, somebody is going to eat their lunch.

Even all of them combined, they don't have the volume to be able to match Intel desktop/laptop sales to wipe them out in one big swoop?

Bubba77

Apr 22, 2012
Now im finding it harder to resist a 3770k when microcenter has them for 229 plus additional savings on the samsung 840 ssds when purchased with a cpu.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Brazos does run at a much higher TDP - 9 W and 18 W. I don't know what happened with Hondo, but if the design wins are only running Windows 8, it's DOA anyway.

They've only been at the TDP disadvantage since Intel's shrink to 32nm- their Pineview Atoms were both hotter and slower. Their Cedarview Atoms are merely slower. ;) Given that Ontario is on the 40nm node, it's still doing very nicely against Atom. (And that TDP will only be hit under full load; I'm not sure how power draw until normal workloads compares.)

Temash should be interesting- AMD finally get that 28nm shrink they need, they integrated the FCH for further power savings, they get GCN graphics to make GPGPU offloading work better (hopefully a full HSA design), the cores clock faster and have more execution resources. (Floating point vectors go from 64 to 128 bit, which should make a serious difference in float-vector heavy applications like games.) They just need to ship the damn thing!

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
They've only been at the TDP disadvantage since Intel's shrink to 32nm- their Pineview Atoms were both hotter and slower. Their Cedarview Atoms are merely slower. ;) Given that Ontario is on the 40nm node, it's still doing very nicely against Atom. (And that TDP will only be hit under full load; I'm not sure how power draw until normal workloads compares.)

Temash should be interesting- AMD finally get that 28nm shrink they need, they integrated the FCH for further power savings, they get GCN graphics to make GPGPU offloading work better (hopefully a full HSA design), the cores clock faster and have more execution resources. (Floating point vectors go from 64 to 128 bit, which should make a serious difference in float-vector heavy applications like games.) They just need to ship the damn thing!
Yeah ,Kabini and Temash look very tasty! They just need to launch it asap and not wait Q3 next year... If it (Kabini at least) comes at the end of Q1 , it would make a nice impact on their balance sheet for 2013.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Well normally this wouldnt bother me much but since ive been waiting for a worthwhile upgrade to my current bloomfield chip for 3 years now and was hoping haswell would be it this does bother me.

To bad AMD is so far behind, you can bet if they had something out that could compete with intel we would be seeing haswell for sale Q1.

gammaray

Jul 30, 2006
Well normally this wouldnt bother me much but since ive been waiting for a worthwhile upgrade to my current bloomfield chip for 3 years now and was hoping haswell would be it this does bother me.

To bad AMD is so far behind, you can bet if they had something out that could compete with intel we would be seeing haswell for sale Q1.

if you have the cash, why wait for haswell? ivy bridge will do anything your computer needs to do!

scooterlibby

Feb 28, 2009
Bummer for me. The new 2560x1440 monitor has finally made my PC start hiccoughing in games. I would benefit more from a hypothetical GTX780 for that issue, but I've been pretty keen on Falcon Northwest's Tiki models and am finally ready to let somebody else build my computer. I'd like a next gen CPU/GPU package in line with my 'every two years' upgrading pattern, so I wait...

Hurry up!!

Last edited:

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
if you have the cash, why wait for haswell? ivy bridge will do anything your computer needs to do!

Depending on how much of a overclock i get ona IB chip its not going to be much faster than my 4.2Ghz i7 930.

At least haswell offers me AVX2.

Last edited:

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
God damn it. This is KILLING ME.

I've been sitting on a C2D E7200 (And before that, a E6300 which was arguably faster because I could achieve a 100% OC on it and then I sold that machine...) since 2008.

Wish I waited for the 920 to come out back in the day. :'(

How much performance increase do you all speculate?

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
God damn it. This is KILLING ME.

I've been sitting on a C2D E7200 (And before that, a E6300 which was arguably faster because I could achieve a 100% OC on it and then I sold that machine...) since 2008.

Wish I waited for the 920 to come out back in the day. :'(

How much performance increase do you all speculate?

Hard to say, the clocks seem to be the same so perhaps only a 5-10% increase per clock over IB.

However anything that uses the AVX2 Instructions should theoretically be 100% faster, so with new instructions being used it will be twice as fast per clock and this will only become more common as more programs switch to using the new instructions.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
That only works if the applications need the extra bandwidth...

obviously this is correct, however for most of the demanding desktop tasks(such as encoding) more bandwidth almost always means better performance.

ebberz

Oct 8, 2009
Just wondering how many people will be buying in June and how many will be waiting a couple of revisions (including motherboard) before making a purchase?

Does anyone know based on past experience how long it takes from the original release to a version that most people are happy with? I know it's all going to depend on the product but history shows that the first release always has teething issues and as it's also a new socket there's the added factor of motherboard stability.

I'm thinking if it's a June release and then say a couple of months for revisions I could be looking at August for an upgrade.

Thanks

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
depends on whether the virtualization extentions are broken or not. If not, i could be an early jumper.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
4.5GHz IVB = ~5.1GHz Nehalem :|
4.5GHz HW = ~5.6GHz Nehalem :D

I "cheated". My office rig was misbehaving (X4 940 @ 3.6GHz), so I dipped my beak in the IVB water while still keeping my 920 rig :p

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Just wondering how many people will be buying in June and how many will be waiting a couple of revisions (including motherboard) before making a purchase?

Does anyone know based on past experience how long it takes from the original release to a version that most people are happy with? I know it's all going to depend on the product but history shows that the first release always has teething issues and as it's also a new socket there's the added factor of motherboard stability.

I'm thinking if it's a June release and then say a couple of months for revisions I could be looking at August for an upgrade.

Thanks

I always buy on release day. Never had an issue.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Didn't you get bitten by Cougar Point?

No. With SB it was funny enough only a new Lenovo T420 laptop we got. (Without bug)

But the not buy on release day or 2 months later is abit silly mentality. A bug can just as well be discovered 3, 6 or 12+ months later.

Last edited:

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
But the not buy on release day or 2 months later is abit silly mentality. A bug can just as well be discovered 3, 6 or 12+ months later.

Sure, but usually the most serious and common ones are found in the first few months. But if you want to wait for that, you should also add some months for the manufacturer to fix the problem, and then some additional months for the new HW revision to make it through the delivery channels and past inventory storage. So then you might as well wait 6 months or so in total from the release date.

And then it's only half a year until next years CPU generation is released... ;)

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Sure, but usually the most serious and common ones are found in the first few months. But if you want to wait for that, you should also add some months for the manufacturer to fix the problem, and then some additional months for the new HW revision to make it through the delivery channels and past inventory storage. So then you might as well wait 6 months or so in total from the release date.

And then it's only half a year until next years CPU generation is released... ;)

Exactly. Or next generation GPUs etc

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
No. With SB it was funny enough only a new Lenovo T420 laptop we got. (Without bug)

Nice bit of luck there :) It's a shame that people have had their impressions of Intel motherboards spoiled by the incident, they seem pretty good. I was doing some fixing on my parents' ancient socket 478 Pentium 4 over the holidays, and Intel still have all the documentation and drivers for the board available over a decade later. It's seriously impressive support.