Intel has been working with Google on self-driving cars since 2009

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
Sounds like a lot of hype with zero actual products or revenue. What will intel do with a 16Billion dollar Israeli camera company and no partnerships with actual auto manufactures? How do you manufacture a self-driving car without building a self-driving car? I can't recall any Ford or (lol) Chrysler self driving cars. Who will they partner with next? FIAT?

Also, we all know how Google does hardware. Ugh.

Mar 10, 2006

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
FPGAs are a first step used while prototyping, they're too expensive to use in a mass market solution. Expect the Intel FPGA to be replaced with custom ASICs in the final product.

Reactions: Phynaz

Nothingness

Platinum Member
Jul 3, 2013
FPGAs are a first step used while prototyping, they're too expensive to use in a mass market solution. Expect the Intel FPGA to be replaced with custom ASICs in the final product.
The use of Xeon also hints at early prototyping.

And I guess that Intel has been working with Waymo since 2009 only through their recent acquisition of Mobileye :)

Reactions: Phynaz

Nothingness

Platinum Member
Jul 3, 2013
This made me want to look more into Audi A8 in which Intel chips are used.

In fact this is using Altera Cyclone V FPGA along with Mobileye chips, both chips that are now branded by Intel, but which Audi started using before Altera and Mobileye were bought by Intel. And the zFAS platform also contains NVIDIA and Infineon chips. (reference: https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/content/6251-intel-altera-fpga-heart-autonomous-audi-a8.html).

This makes me wonder how much Intel chip there is in Waymo/Google car.

Reactions: Phynaz and NTMBK

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
This made me want to look more into Audi A8 in which Intel chips are used.

In fact this is using Altera Cyclone V FPGA along with Mobileye chips, both chips that are now branded by Intel, but which Audi started using before Altera and Mobileye were bought by Intel. And the zFAS platform also contains NVIDIA and Infineon chips. (reference: https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/content/6251-intel-altera-fpga-heart-autonomous-audi-a8.html).

This makes me wonder how much Intel chip there is in Waymo/Google car.

So it's a fake driverless car you can't buy that was built years ago using chips from intel's competitors....

And this is good for intel how? Oh wait they just announced the Tesla deal. Gotta maintain that share price if he wants to be able to acquire more useless companies to write off. Nice one Brian!

Reactions: .vodka and raghu78