News Intel GPUs - Intel launches A580

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
First time seeing that teaser image... which kind of just looks like a Vega Frontier that they blacked out or de-branded.

2020 is practically a decade away in Tech years, so we'll see see it when we have it.

I laugh every time I see a tweet from Intel's GPU division for their non-existent product(s) or people doing simple things on their underpowered iGPUs. Yes they actually tweet regularly. Chris Hook today retweeted the Forbes coverage of Nvidias dead RTXs. It's pretty clear who they have their sights set on.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
First time seeing that teaser image... which kind of just looks like a Vega Frontier that they blacked out or de-branded.

2020 is practically a decade away in Tech years, so we'll see see it when we have it.

-Yeah I dunno what to take away from that image other than the card is going to be single slot?

So... 2080ti performance in a 1050 thermal envelope :grimacing:? Or just 1050 performance levels...

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I expect 1060 performance levels. IGP replacement and slight upgrade with an Intel sticker on it. That's it. If you want to actually game with good FPS and resolution, you still need Nvidia just as much as you always have. I expect this Intel GPU to be straight up garbage.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I expect 1060 performance levels. IGP replacement and slight upgrade with an Intel sticker on it. That's it. If you want to actually game with good FPS and resolution, you still need Nvidia just as much as you always have. I expect this Intel GPU to be straight up garbage.
1060 performance is still no slouch if Intel can produce 8GB cards for $200 or less they will have a great seller.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
That would be huge, actually.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
In 2020-2021? Really?
Sure, why not?

Intel is not likely to try to capture the top end immediately, imo.

They will try to get the low end first, I'd think.
Possibly stop putting IGP in most desktop chips and sell cards to replace the IGP.

Intel CPU with Intel DGPU.
Intel Inside. :D

1060 performance sounds about right to me.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Sure, why not?

Possibly stop putting IGP in most desktop chips and sell cards to replace the IGP.

I thought I was aiming too low and being at least a little pessimistic and sarcastic. I mean...oh god it's really that bad isn't it.

Reactions: Tlh97

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Sure, why not?

Not a chance in hell, OEMs still selling systems with iGPU only Core i7.
I could see this happening in HEDT CPUs though, the vast majority of users will still use a dGPU so no need for the iGPU in those SKUs.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I thought I was aiming too low and being at least a little pessimistic and sarcastic. I mean...oh god it's really that bad isn't it.
I'm still using a GTX 970 that I brought in late 2015 with no plans to replace anytime soon due to high prices.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Not a chance in hell, OEMs still selling systems with iGPU only Core i7.
I could see this happening in HEDT CPUs though, the vast majority of users will still use a dGPU so no need for the iGPU in those SKUs.
Well, the OEMs will still get a huge price break and a push to sell the DGPUs, won't they? Why wouldn't they go along?
It'd be just like OEM Ryzen use requiring a DGPU.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
DGPUs require more power and thus beefier PSUs which raise the overall cost of the machine, and on top of that its another part that could go wrong and require support. for builders these are big negatives. in the OEM world its about bulk and cost cutting.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
DGPUs require more power and thus beefier PSUs which raise the overall cost of the machine, and on top of that its another part that could go wrong and require support. for builders these are big negatives. in the OEM world its about bulk and cost cutting.
Tons of OEM PCS have DGPUs though. What you say may be true for the bottom end, though.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
Sure, why not?

That really won't happen. Since most of the market is happy with the IGP, Intel won't rock that boat.

What intel wants with it's new GPU business is:

1: Corporate compute and AI business that NVidia is walking away with. This is primary.
2: Some of the dGPU graphics card/laptop dGPU business where customers want more than what the iGPU delivers. But this is secondary since they are developing IP for #1, why not trying to capture some of the graphics market with it.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
DrwZVrKWwAA05jZ.jpg

https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1061751483027329029

I hope that isn't the final marketing name ;)

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
With the new ultra high price levels, it seems like there's plenty of room for Intel in the DGPU business. If they can crank out a reasonable card...

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
With the new ultra high price levels, it seems like there's plenty of room for Intel in the DGPU business. If they can crank out a reasonable card...
That's assuming they can do the software side properly this time.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
And if the dGPU has good Linux support and better then GTX 970 performance along with decent pricing, I may switch to Intel for my next video card.

I could certainly see Linux support as a strong point of an Intel dGPU. Their IGPs are already very well supported out-of-the-box. So unless the dGPU is a completely different design, they should be able to use that to their advantage.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I could certainly see Linux support as a strong point of an Intel dGPU. Their IGPs are already very well supported out-of-the-box. So unless the dGPU is a completely different design, they should be able to use that to their advantage.

It'd be nice to have another one but as of today AMD has an very good open source linux driver already so it wouldn't be a unique niche.