News Intel GPUs - Intel launches A580

Page 90 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
Any source for that if you don't mind please? Like an organizational chart?
Intel set up a new business unit in 2021 specifically to develop the new ARC GPU's, but this is a hardware division that doesn't do the drivers.

Raja was recently promoted to executive VP, which typically means reporting directly to the CEO. I'm not sure whether that actually makes him the superior of Lisa.

@linkgoron

I assume that he told that to his superiors, but if he isn't in charge of them, there's not much more he can do.

Jul 27, 2020
He's too busy getting down and getting funky!
94D90D739B5BB5A1F2FDFBBC0FF52D0B0DFECE62
Great find! :D

Jul 27, 2020

Look at Raja's chip notes. What about those notes looks technical? That's just a bunch of optimistic wishful thinking with nothing technical to back it up. He lays out what Intel should do to get where he envisions the future but not how. That's up to the engineers I suppose. Not his headache. All he does is dream and talk big.

Jul 27, 2020

While we have huge opportunity at Intel, when I came in I also saw we had a huge set of problems. How do we get a great 20,000-plus design engineering team marching along a new execution path across all these new products that we wanted to create?

So that’s why I called Jim a month or so after and said, ‘Hey Jim this would be fun.’ He was doing very well at Tesla. I didn’t know why he would leave. But, long story short, once we started talking about the opportunities [at Intel], what we could do over the next 10 years, he got excited and [now] he’s here.

Jim Keller was like, "Screw you, Raja. You got me into this mess and no one here is letting me do what I came here to do. I'm out. You're on your own". Now, Raja is all alone, fending off hordes of baddies with just his charm and almost nothing else.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022

Look at Raja's chip notes. What about those notes looks technical? That's just a bunch of optimistic wishful thinking with nothing technical to back it up. He lays out what Intel should do to get where he envisions the future but not how. That's up to the engineers I suppose. Not his headache. All he does is dream and talk big.

It's hard to judge from the outside whether he is simply not telling us or whether he doesn't have a clue. But you certainly can't expect Intel to just share their secrets.

linkgoron

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2005
Intel set up a new business unit in 2021 specifically to develop the new ARC GPU's, but this is a hardware division that doesn't do the drivers.

Raja was recently promoted to executive VP, which typically means reporting directly to the CEO. I'm not sure whether that actually makes him the superior of Lisa.

@linkgoron

I assume that he told that to his superiors, but if he isn't in charge of them, there's not much more he can do.

That's obviously a joke I assume?

He was (at the time) an SVP and should've had a lot of pull and influence, as he was brought in specifically for ARC and he has a lot of experience in developing GPUs including working with driver teams.
As the head of the whole ARC operation, it would be very weird that he would have no influence in how drivers are developed for his hardware. I would imagine that he would be quite involved in the process (even if he's not technically managing the driver team).

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
@linkgoron

The normal way this works is that a road map is drawn up where different teams have specific deadlines. So Raja's team would have to deliver certain hardware at certain times to the driver team and the driver team would have to deliver drivers with certain features/quality at certain times.

The pull and influence would be more about getting a favorable road map. It doesn't magically mean that other teams will actually deliver. In fact, the most favorable for one's career is usually for the other teams to fail, while your team succeeds.

I would imagine that he would be quite involved in the process (even if he's not technically managing the driver team).

I would imagine that he would be involved in the things he is responsible for. Trying to do a hostile take-over of the team(s) of another manager is a good way to create enemies and making lots of enemies is a good way to get in trouble.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I'm sure there will be a post mortem at some point on the Alchemist launch, it will be interesting to see what comes of it. It reads a bit like a soap opera: Does the blame lie at Koduri's feet, the hot shot new guy that was a FAKE, or was it with Lisa whatsherface running the driver team being a stodgy intel insider dragging her heels all over the place, or is it intel's corporate culture promoting mediocrity and dysfunction instead of clever solutions and quick thinking? All of the above? None?

All speculation right now.

I just hope this slow motion car crash continues to remain as entertaining as it has been thus far.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Can someone with knowledge about that shed some light on how he gets to lead a team of engineers if he doesn't possess the requisite technical expertise? Is he having trouble with his engineers because they resent him for being so much in the limelight?

Sigh. You should do some research. It's not like he came from a marketing or finance background.

Koduri holds a bachelor’s degree in electronics and communications from Andhra University and a master’s degree in electronics and communications from the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, both in India. He serves as chief technical adviser to the board of directors for Makuta VFX, an award-winning visual effects and animation company.

Jul 27, 2020

That article, if true, paints a picture of Lisa Su being a real hard-ass. But what has Raja accomplished with all the leeway he has gotten from Intel? We are waiting, still. Early benchmarks don't look too promising. No idea how much or even IF ARC will be profitable for Intel. Let's give Raja till the end of 2022. We don't want him smashing another poor graphics card on the floor.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
The plan was always for poor competitiveness at first, so poor benchmarks don't reflect badly on Raja, as long as he met the performance targets.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012

That article, if true, paints a picture of Lisa Su being a real hard-ass. But what has Raja accomplished with all the leeway he has gotten from Intel? We are waiting, still. Early benchmarks don't look too promising. No idea how much or even IF ARC will be profitable for Intel. Let's give Raja till the end of 2022. We don't want him smashing another poor graphics card on the floor.

What early benchmarks? I haven't seen much except from the badly optimized Samsung Galaxy Book 2 with subpar cooling. The A370M results this week from pcworld looked surprisingly good. And even the old Xe LP iGPU @DDR5 doesn't look that bad (actually better than expected), Rembrandt 680M is "only" 50-60% faster with a clock speed advantage in a similar range.

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
I think the hardware guys did pretty good job. The fellow who is in charge of the software side needs to do better. Maybe they did not hire enough driver developers and this is the result.

Jul 27, 2020
The A370M results this week from pcworld looked surprisingly good.
I would say not a disaster. But, till we see something like 40 games tested by TPU or Techspot, it's not surprisingly good. PCWorld could have cherry picked the games. Intel is still too shy to show its GPU's raytracing performance.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
I would say not a disaster. But, till we see something like 40 games tested by TPU or Techspot, it's not surprisingly good. PCWorld could have cherry picked the games. Intel is still too shy to show its GPU's raytracing performance.

They only had 1 hours of testing, I doubt it was enough for a cherry-picking. The initial poor impression for the A350M @ Samsung Galaxy Book 2 was mainly caused by Intels Dynamic tuning driver affecting the CPU performance way too much causing unsteady timeframes and CPU bottlenecks.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017

That's a really badly written article. Is it AI generated or machine translated? I can't take that seriously, not even as hypothetical.

"AMD needed to launch something, Koduri knew they were pretty bad and the fact that they cut his budget, it was too many things and he ended up exhausting the Indian's patience."
He? Indian? Who is that referring to?

"Apparently, Lisa Su gave her until June 30 to launch a working Vega-based gaming graphics card, but first, she should present it."
Her? She? What?

"Tired of the pressure, Koduri would have decided to make a fool of Lisa Su"
If there's any truth to this article it's a surprise Koduri wasn't fired right in that instance.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
That's a really badly written article. Is it AI generated or machine translated? I can't take that seriously, not even as hypothetical.

Sounds like a poor copy of HardOCP article that was shown in 2017 or something. The contents are strikingly similar.

Hmm, it might be just that. 2018 it says. I can't find the original article and I know many websites that use articles from bigger sites without any citations. I've seen few sites that just copy contents from Anandtech.

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
I hope Intel attack the LP market with the A3xx, corp and sff market are dying for a decent - and reasonable priced - card to go with their 7th gen and up Intel box. If Intel is smart they would made a driver that can take adv of the Intel iGPU and their ARC card.