News Intel GPUs - Intel launches A580

Page 61 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Raja is such a COMPULSIVE lying POS. Millions of GPUs into the hands of miners most likely. Intel has blatantly told the world that it won't limit crypto-mining on their GPUs AT ALL, basically endorsing it.
Maybe we will let Intel to dictate the narrative, by their actual actions, rather then act like 13 year old kids on Internet forums?

Intel might be serious about Bitcoin Mining ASICs, not about miming on their GPUs.

Jul 27, 2020
Intel might be serious about Bitcoin Mining ASICs, not about miming on their GPUs.
Then they should stick a dagger into the hearts of miners by clearly stating that their GPU's will be crippled in mining. Miners want to mine, pay for the damn specialized hardware rather than steal hardware that was never meant for their usage.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
rather than steal hardware
So, in a gamer's mind, buying general-purpose PC hardware on the open market to use how one wants, is now "stealing"? Gamers are straight-up delusional creatures, and should be locked up, until de-programmed.

The gamers that I know of (IRL), are either not employed, or if they are, they're living at home, where their parent cooks and cleans for them.

At least I'm doing for myself, trying to be more financially free, by mining.

I wonder if "gamer homelessness" is going to be major thing in a few years, once most of their supporting boomer parents pass away. There's going to be a lot of delusional people wandering the streets, looking for a "power up".

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: scineram
Jul 27, 2020
I personally want Intel's mining ASICs to be a roaring success, by delivering performance at a running cost insanely lower than a mining rig or mining farm. That's the only way I can see the status quo changing.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Gaming is a different story since it will not be profitable for game developers to test on Xe. Intel has to pay that price to get their foot in the door.
It's curious that Intel never used the prevalence of its iGPUs to push for better support. They significantly increased performance of their iGPUs in mobile chips already, and those are hurt by bad drivers/support as much today already. And software support will take time until Intel can catch up, especially if they really didn't secretly start work on it some years ago already.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Leeea

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Raja is such a COMPULSIVE lying POS. Millions of GPUs into the hands of miners most likely. Intel has blatantly told the world that it won't limit crypto-mining on their GPUs AT ALL, basically endorsing it.
To be fair, AMD does not limit mining on their GPUs at all.

And miners are better coz they help jack up prices of commodity hardware and consume electricity 24/7 even when they are asleep? Playing games involves exercising the brain. Mining is just greed, plain and simple. Akin to the greed for gold.
The solution is to criminalize PoW cryptocurrencies.

I mind people making money, if the way they choose to do that involves affecting my quality of life and limiting my choices. Gamers were not hurting people before those people decided to enter mining but now those miners ARE hurting gamers.
Most gamers have to work, sleep, take care of a household.

We game on our hardware when we can, the rest of the time, the majority of the time, it mines.

The line between a gamer and a miner is lot more fuzzy. Most gamers I know want crypto criminalized. Many gamers are like me and collect the free money in the meantime.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
Only IF Intel GPUs are so great at mining that they make AMD/nVidia GPUs look like amateurs.

So what is it then you seem to be playing both sides of the argument.
Intel is going to not restrict mining thus no cards for gamers
Intel is going to have a crappy mining card thus no cards for gamers

I fail to see why any gamer would be upset about intel releasing more cards to the market.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
So, in a gamer's mind, buying general-purpose PC hardware on the open market to use how one wants, is now "stealing"? Gamers are straight-up delusional creatures, and should be locked up, until de-programmed.
I doubt most gamers feel miners are stealing. To make a radical claim like this you need to provide evidence, or it is just a fallacious claim.

Knocking down the straw man created with such a silly claim proves nothing.

Gamers want crypto criminalized. That is not the same as accusing anyone of theft.

It would be accurate to say gamers feel cryptocurrency is a system that is harming their communities (both gaming and real ) by driving up the price of electricity for everyone, destroying the environment, and encouraging criminal activity. A view point also held by many non-gamers.

The gamers that I know of (IRL), are either not employed, or if they are, they're living at home, where their parent cooks and cleans for them.

I wonder if "gamer homelessness" is going to be major thing in a few years, once most of their supporting boomer parents pass away. There's going to be a lot of delusional people wandering the streets, looking for a "power up".
@VirtualLarry, You statements are delusional and complete nonsense.

The average gamer is 34 years old, owns a house, and has children.
45% are female.

You are not part of a healthy gaming community, so your view is badly distorted. Gaming is a mainstream activity that contributes to the health of the family, community, and society. It helps preserve the mind and keeps players sharp.

On that subject, what are you going to do when we criminalize PoW cryptocurrency?

For every individual who converted his apartment into a mining farm, there is a high school esports team looking to buy GPUs:

Think about the foot ball team. The soccer team. How they can force politics in your home town. What has cryptocurrency ever done for your community? Esports are the next big thing, and their is only one thing in the way. PoW cryptocurrency.

PoW will be criminalized.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I doubt most gamers feel miners are stealing. To make a radical claim like this you need to provide evidence, or it is just a fallacious claim.

Knocking down the straw man created with such a silly claim proves nothing.

Gamers want crypto criminalized. That is not the same as accusing anyone of theft.
Miners want to mine, pay for the damn specialized hardware rather than steal hardware that was never meant for their usage.
Guess that you didn't see the post that I was replying too...

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
What has cryptocurrency ever done for your community?
Well, speaking of only myself, I've given money to the local food pantry, cancer charities, and kept the local pizza places in business during the pandemic.

Edit: I've also donated like 4-5 gaming PCs, to up-and-coming gamers. I had forgotten, because they're no longer cluttering up my tiny apt. LOL.

What have your e-sports gamers done for the community?

Esports are the next big thing, and their is only one thing in the way. PoW cryptocurrency.

PoW will be criminalized.
That's way more of a delusional statement than I've ever made.

PS. Esports runs on a Potato, aka an APU system. No need for a dGPU, and PoW is certainly NOT hampering "esports". If it were, then esports would not be thriving right now as it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeea

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Gaming is a mainstream activity that contributes to the health of the family, community, and society. It helps preserve the mind and keeps players sharp.
It was also added as an addiction diagnosis in the DSM V. So much for "healthy". At least when they become homeless, once their boomer parents die or go into a nursing home, they have a fighting chance to get an SSDI check and housing from a disability diagnosis of "video game addiction". So all is not lost! Plenty of gaming for my delusional gamer friends ahead!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You are not part of a healthy gaming community, so your view is badly distorted.
I was "shunned" by my local gamer friends, for having tried to keep a perspective on life, and not fall down the rabbit-hole of "gaming is everything", to the dereliction of the rest of my life.

Jul 27, 2020
I was "shunned" by my local gamer friends, for having tried to keep a perspective on life, and not fall down the rabbit-hole of "gaming is everything", to the dereliction of the rest of my life.
If they shunned you, they never were truly your friends. Reading about your community work, I don't really think you are the typical greedy miner, and thus my posts aren't really directed at you. Just the greedy ones who are filling their bank accounts and living the grand life, with zero regard for the damage they are doing to other people.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Just the greedy ones who are filling their bank accounts and living the grand life, with zero regard for the damage they are doing to other people.
Like (delusional) gamers, that think anyone that uses their PC to actually make money, rather than just play games with it, must be greedy, and evil, and needs to be imprisoned.

Like being told that I "stole" something from a "gamer", even though all I did was visit a store and buy it, with my own money. Just because I happened to be more motivated than they were to get a GPU.

I'll let you in on a secret. ADULTS "fill their bank accounts". It's called working for a living, or earning money, or otherwise providing for their sorry gamer offspring.

Gamers are delusional entitled bullies, from what I can see, from everyone hating on "miners".

Jul 27, 2020
When I say miner, I mean the ones who buy a GPU, pay it off with their mining, then buy another one and another one AND another one. It's never enough for them. Since they are basically making "free" money out of thin air, they can afford to pay the scalpers who exist now thanks to miners for the most part. The average gamer can't get free and easy money from gaming. They play for satisfaction and pleasure. They are the victims now. I suppose if AMD/nVIDIA could cripple the hash rate even more, I'm fine with miners getting the top end or "unlocked" cards. Most gamers can't afford those anyway.

Reactions: Tlh97 and dvsv

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
I personally want Intel's mining ASICs to be a roaring success, by delivering performance at a running cost insanely lower than a mining rig or mining farm. That's the only way I can see the status quo changing.
Does't everything we've heard about the Intel mining ASIC point them being bitcoin only, that is SHA hashing?

So no affect on the GPU market.

As for efficiency, the BTC reward is constant so being more efficient just means anyone not as efficient gets left behind. But the nature of the crypto mining arms race means unless someone can corner the market* others will just have to increase their equipment and power wastage.

*Apparently, there's such a thing that if one entity controls more than 50% of the network, they could potentially forge transactions so that should never be allowed to happen. Unsure about what if it did though.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
they can afford to pay the scalpers who exist now thanks to miners for the most part.
I'll let you in on a secret, scalpers were pushing sneakers before they were pushing GPUs. Scalping was there before the current GPU crisis, they just made it worse. Not sure why you seem to be holding miners responsible for unscrupulous resellers. Most miners that I know (tangentally), would not pay scalper prices for GPUs.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
So currently we have nvidia on Samsung 8nm, AMD on TSMC 7nm and Intel ARC on TSMC 6nm, so they are not competing for the same wafers. But next gen both nvidia and AMD will be on TSMC 5nm, and Intel?

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Then they should stick a dagger into the hearts of miners by clearly stating that their GPU's will be crippled in mining. Miners want to mine, pay for the damn specialized hardware rather than steal hardware that was never meant for their usage.

Intel has a lot of CPU/GPU talent. It's too bad they can't come up with some kind of ultra-efficient mining HW that would wreck the economics of mining on GPUs (Like dedicated ASIC mining HW did to bitcoin).

Last edited: