News Intel GPUs - Intel launches A580

Page 82 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Wasn't that the plan all along? Just goes to show you shouldn't buy the first generation of anything.

Battlemage is shown on the Intel roadmap as "2023-2024". Expecting it early is going to result in another disappointment. I can guess Battlemage being Q3/Q4 rather than Q1/Q2 for Alchemist.

I don't think it'll be horrible for Alchemist as some are expecting. Somewhere in the middle is always the reality, because hypes exist on both sides. The swings in emotions happen so regularly which is why things like share prices can be predicted.

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
Back then displays were analog so having a proper display circuitry was critical. Ever since they moved to digital such as DVI and HDMI, it's not so important anymore.

Matrox was generally known to be top, and Creative was not too bad.

My first dGPU was a Creative Annihilator 2 MX. In my high school years the box image showing a planet and the sun about to dawn was pretty amazing to me. Also the name Annihilator. That was $199 cdn at London Drugs.

The Geforce 2 MX had the picture right before dawn and with the GTS it was sunrise. It looked damn amazing.
I had Creative GeForce 2 Pro and it had poor image quality. I think it was even worse than Gainward RivaTNT 2 Pro I had before. That being said, whole system including CRT changed so resolution did too. It was soft and every card since it (Gainward GeForce 2 Ti, Gainward GeForce 4 Ti 4200) had much better analogue image. In fact, after that GeForce 2 Pro image quality was a non issue.

G200 did have awesome image quality - razor sharp.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Yup. Not all RAMDACs are created equal. Particularly the cheap 350MHz kind.

I suddenly feel old...

Not just the RAMDACs, but you needed quality analog components in well designed circuits for the final output as well.

I had a Matrox 2D card back in the mid 90's exactly because it was well known for high quality output at higher refresh rates. I still have my Voodoo 3 in a box somewhere...

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I don't think it'll be horrible for Alchemist as some are expecting.

With Ampere and RDNA2 in stock and getting closer to MSRP, there's no reason to think people will actually buy any Arc over them. OEMs will OEM so they will get deals there... but I can't imagine Intel is in the mood to lose a bunch of money selling OEMs TSMC chips at well below cost.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
With Ampere and RDNA2 in stock and getting closer to MSRP, there's no reason to think people will actually buy any Arc over them.

Yeah, unfortunate timing for Intel. They had more than a year where they could have sold anything, but if other cards return to MSRP, it looks like Intel will need to dump these at bargain basement pricing.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Yeah, unfortunate timing for Intel. They had more than a year where they could have sold anything, but if other cards return to MSRP, it looks like Intel will need to dump these at bargain basement pricing.
I seriously doubt that mid to high performance will return to the MSRPs of a couple of years ago. Anyway, I don’t expect Intel to represent a serious threat to it competition for ~ 4-5 years.

Panino Manino

Jan 28, 2017
Yup. Not all RAMDACs are created equal. Particularly the cheap 350MHz kind.

I suddenly feel old...

Not only you, I was reminded of a cold afternoon during the 2000.
This on my cousin PC, I commented with him, how bad the imaged looked, somehow... Confusing because I had a TNT2 and I liked the image, at least on the different the games I played.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Videocardz article is pointing to a leak that says Battlemage has 2560 EUs - just as I speculated a bit ago.

You have to assume Gen12.9 has 16 EUs each subslice, this is what we don't know yet.

Bzzt, it's exactly like now.

I said,
ELG x 4_10x4 = 4 Cores, 10 Slices per die, 4 connected with EMIB or Foveros.

1x 128
2x 320
3x 448
4x 640

That's 40 Xe cores by new Intel terminology for 1 tile and 160 for 4. Alchemist top config is 32.

40TFlop FP32 @ 1GHz. That's the kind of performance needed to get competitive with next-gen AMD/Nvidia cards.

From the original post:
gen12_9 / xe2_hpg
- ELG_x1_2x4
- ELG_x2_5x4
- ELG_x3_7x4
- ELG_x4_10x4

gen12_9 / xe2_lpg
- LNL_2x4

Other configurations from the original leak
-128EUs or 8 Xe cores
-640EUs or 20 Xe cores x 2 tiles
-1344EUs or 28 Xe cores per tile x 3 tiles

Although Videocardz leak is saying x1 x2 x4 tiles. Tiles and having multiple different dies creates a potential flood of different configurations.

Last edited:

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
Videocardz article is pointing to a leak that says Battlemage has 2560 EUs - just as I speculated a bit ago.

Bzzt, it's exactly like now.

16 EUs overall yes. Gen12.9 might switch from a DSS to a SS concept.

IGFX_METEORLAKE:
IGFX_ARROWLAKE:
Max_SS_DSS = GT_MAX_DUALSUBSLICE_PER_SLICE;

IGFX_ELG:
IGFX_LUNARLAKE:
// Prior to ELG, all Gen12+ products supported DSS. ELG onwards, there is no DSS concept (just SS).
Max_SS_DSS = GT_MAX_SUBSLICE_PER_SLICE

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
So BM will be 4-5x faster than Arc? :oops:

Arc is the name for all generations of this product, so your statement makes no sense. It's like saying that the next gen of Nvidia will be 2 times faster than Geforce.

Alchemist, Battlemage and Celestial are different generations of Arc GPU's.

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
Arc is the name for all generations of this product, so your statement makes no sense. It's like saying that the next gen of Nvidia will be 2 times faster than Geforce.

Alchemist, Battlemage and Celestial are different generations of Arc GPU's.
My bad. Arc and Alc sound similar. Somehow I suspect you know what I meant tho

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006

He must have done something right to earn the promotion, right??? Wish Pat would mention that.

- Could be to quell some infighting at Intel and make sure there is a clear chain of command. I've worked in "flatter" management structures as well as highly tiered management structures, even within the same company. There are costs and benefits to both.

Could also just be signaling internally that Intel is 100% behind their GPU initiative, don't divert resources from this cause your pet project feels more important.

It could really mean a whole bunch of things, good or bad.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Seems like window dressing.
Maybe, but if it comes with a fat raise/stock options - I doubt he'll mind. I suspect it's to raise his visibility and give him a bit more clout amongst his peers. Also, attaboys don't hurt. He must be doing something right.

Frenetic Pony

May 1, 2012

He must have done something right to earn the promotion, right??? Wish Pat would mention that.

People don't necessarily get promotions for "doing something right", instead they often "make a lot of noise and self promote". As a random stab though I'd guess he wanted the entire division under his control and made noise about drivers needing to answer to him because that's causing delays.

Which, I mean, fair enough on the drivers if so.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
People don't necessarily get promotions for "doing something right", instead they often "make a lot of noise and self promote". As a random stab though I'd guess he wanted the entire division under his control and made noise about drivers needing to answer to him because that's causing delays.

Which, I mean, fair enough on the drivers if so.
The driver team didn't already answer to him? That would be nuts.