News Intel GPUs - Intel launches A580

Page 130 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
My guess is you refuse to buy AMD :p
I’m a big believer in the rule of three. There needs to be three choices to have a good choice and there need to be three competitors to have good products/prices.
We desperately need a third choice.

I have been pretty open about my AMD skewed opinion but that is really just I buy AMD cards because they are good enough and the cost is good enough. I have only had two nvidia cards
Edit: one of the nvidia cards was a loaner/stop gap for a VooDoo 3 whose lack of driver support became a problem, I forgot which model N64-something?

Last edited:

clemsyn

Aug 21, 2005
@clemsyn

Hang on tight to your A380. You have a rare piece of GPU history in your hands now.

Not too surprised. With used dGPU flooding the markets and competition from AMD and Nvidia, I think it is a good decision. They will be losing money while trying to compete and I think they will have a diffficult time competing. I hope they will revisit it again. For a gamer, the drivers are not ready. We played Doom Eternal again and in 20 minutes..Black Screen..and not detected at all. We had to move it to another PCI-e to get it to turn on again. For AV1 though is a different story, it is amazing! It is what I use it this rig for and I am keeping it for this. I do hope they keep on working the drivers to make it better.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006

Looks like it is all over but the crying. And the dwindle down. Cards may still be released, but it is just selling off already purchased stock.

This is the end of Intel as a primary chipmaker. Industry is moving toward SOC, and without a working GPU Intel will be unable to compete. Intel's iGPUs have long been failures, and ARC showed just how much that is so.

Still believe Intel could have made it work if it was willing to put another 3 years into the project. Guess that did not look good enough on next quarters stock holders report.

:rolleyes:

MLID makes guesses that are wrong half the time. Intel has been saying there is no chance of this, because they need to do the work for their iGPUs anyway.

It really seems like a lot of people want to use this as a "Bash Intel" thread, rather than sticking to facts.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
MLID makes guesses that are wrong half the time. Intel has been saying there is no chance of this, because they need to do the work for their iGPUs anyway.

I have no doubt that MLID has no sources on this... but it's looking like Intel will announce layoffs when they announce Q3 "Earnings", which would be at the end of October. Or maybe earlier in October if they warn. Makes sense to announce they are getting out then.

It really seems like a lot of people want to use this as a "Bash Intel" thread, rather than sticking to facts.

Already explained earlier why it's a bad idea to continue. And now they literally can't afford to.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Leeea

JustViewing

Aug 17, 2022
If they quit dGPU, it would be a dumb move. I think they should at least try 3 generations before quitting. They can't survive long without making good GPUs. Otherwise they would become irrelevant in the future. They have enough cash to burn and learn from mistakes.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Not too surprised. With used dGPU flooding the markets and competition from AMD and Nvidia, I think it is a good decision. They will be losing money while trying to compete and I think they will have a diffficult time competing. I hope they will revisit it again. For a gamer, the drivers are not ready. We played Doom Eternal again and in 20 minutes..Black Screen..and not detected at all. We had to move it to another PCI-e to get it to turn on again. For AV1 though is a different story, it is amazing! It is what I use it this rig for and I am keeping it for this. I do hope they keep on working the drivers to make it better.
Thank you for sharing your user experience.

You are keeping it, but how many others will?

Reactions: Tlh97 and Leeea

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
If they quit dGPU, it would be a dumb move. I think they should at least try 3 generations before quitting. They can't survive long without making good GPUs. Otherwise they would become irrelevant in the future. They have enough cash to burn and learn from mistakes.
Try telling the share holders that.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Could Intel be killing Arc A### as it is fundamentally broken but moving forward with Arc B as they fixed some/all the borkiness in the silicon? I do think myself that they will be exiting the discrete market before long. Now if Intel would only launch at least 1 Arc A GPU in the UK I can put it on a shelf alongside a i740.

Terzo

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2005
Try telling the share holders that.

That can't be the only factor at play though, right?. Otherwise people would never invest in companies with negative profits. The idea is that Intel spends this money now to drive future growth. I don't konw their financials though, maybe they're burning through those reserves much more than they anticipated. Or maybe something else I'm just throwing out uneducated guesses.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
That can't be the only factor at play though, right?. Otherwise people would never invest in companies with negative profits. The idea is that Intel spends this money now to drive future growth. I don't konw their financials though, maybe they're burning through those reserves much more than they anticipated. Or maybe something else I'm just throwing out uneducated guesses.
This is 5yrs of investment Only so long you can talk about the potential without yielding ROI. They could not have picked worse timing to try to enter the market either. As many here have observed. To date, it has been a unending series of miscues. Where does it end?

Intel finds itself in a position it is not accustomed to being in right now. 12th gen has underperformed in sales. 13th gen faces a dead socket, while the competition is about to launch another long term platform. Enterprise is being slowly stolen. Some have opined that Intel has its fingers in too many pies, and needs to focus and execute in the most important biz sectors. How much longer will management and share holders go along for the ride given the current market conditions and lowered income projections?

No one here is bashing Intel. The dGPU venture has been Keystone cops so far. Writing about what we have observed is hardly bashing, it is calling it like we see it.

Tom and Ryan The Damage Control Tour, has been a hoot. And all those comments from the "Intel says they are in it for the long haul" article were all from Tom right? IIRC he said he believed everyone at Intel was of the same mind. They have both been like snake oil salesmen IMO. I could feel the weight of Intel's position in the industry during all their visits to the tech tubers. It was almost tangible. No one wants to call them liars, and we all want another player in the GPU market. At some point hopes and dreams aren't enough. They have to deliver, and the first product out the door after half a decade of work, is going really rough so far.

People more educated and smarter than myself seem to think the R&D will payoff long term. But that the dGPU venture itself may need to be chloroformed.

Last edited:

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Reading some posts here makes it seem as though some think money can be conjured out of nothing. If true, please send me a PM on how to replicate this feat. Most appreciated.
Intel is already paying double thanks to not taking iGPUs seriously for too many years. Now they found out they did too little for taking their iGPU software as a base for dGPUs. If they derail their dGPU efforts as well now you can bet that that won't help iGPUs either. Until they temporally wise up again and pay a third time...

I still wonder what they actually did in the years right after announcing that work on dedicated GPUs is underway.

Reactions: Tlh97 and maddie

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
This is 5yrs of investment Only so long you can talk about the potential without yielding ROI. They could not have picked worse timing to try to enter the market either. As many here have observed. To date, it has been a unending series of miscues. Where does it end?

Intel finds itself in a position it is not accustomed to being in right now. 12th gen has underperformed in sales. 13th gen faces a dead socket, while the competition is about to launch another long term platform. Enterprise is being slowly stolen. Some have opined that Intel has its fingers in too many pies, and needs to focus and execute in the most important biz sectors. How much longer will management and share holders go along for the ride given the current market conditions and lowered income projections?

No one here is bashing Intel. The dGPU venture has been Keystone cops so far. Writing about what we have observed is hardly bashing, it is calling it like we see it.

Tom and Ryan The Damage Control Tour, has been a hoot. And all those comments from the "Intel says they are in it for the long haul" article were all from Tom right? IIRC he said he believed everyone at Intel was of the same mind. They have both been like snake oil salesmen IMO. I could feel the weight of Intel's position in the industry during all their visits to the tech tubers. It was almost tangible. No one wants to call them liars, and we all want another player in the GPU market. At some point hopes and dreams aren't enough. They have to deliver, and the first product out the door after half a decade of work, is going really rough so far.

People more educated and smarter than myself seem to think the R&D will payoff long term. But that the dGPU venture itself may need to be chloroformed.
The Intel fans refuse to admit that the past is dead. Intel has to work hard from now. There is no slack to indulge in wasteful excursions. Fantasy thinking should be left for the virtual world. Reality has no respawn feature.

Remember how recently it was shown AM4 outselling ADL despite advantages for Intel? It seems a pro AMD inertia has developed. With RPL a small improvement over ADL vs the change from Zen3 to Zen4, we should expect this to continue for 2 more yrs at least and it appears Intel itself thinks this. Their recent statement of marketshare beginning recovery in 2024 shows this. AND, this is assuming all positives and no effective counter from AMD + TSMC.

Compute GPUs are diverging radically from gaming. This was suggested as the main focus in addition to the traditional iGPUs. I think Nvidia must be happy as they get to sell more notebook GPUs going forward than they might have expected recently.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Intel is already paying double thanks to not taking iGPUs seriously for too many years. Now they found out they did too little for taking their iGPU software as a base for dGPUs. If they derail their dGPU efforts as well now you can bet that that won't help iGPUs either. Until they temporally wise up again and pay a third time...

I still wonder what they actually did in the years right after announcing that work on dedicated GPUs is underway.
I find that statement of theirs dubious. Am I to believe that in the past several yrs that these cards have been under development, no one took time to see if the iGPU software was working well or sometimes at all? How did they know anything was working? Was some other software used? Was no testing done?

It smells.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Reading some posts here makes it seem as though some think money can be conjured out of nothing. If true, please send me a PM on how to replicate this feat. Most appreciated.

Go count how many negative quarters AMD has had in the last 20 years. A negative quarter is not a valid reason to abandon a critical part of the business.

Back in 2015 when things were going badly for AMD there was a rumor that they were going to spin off the GPU business:

I remember saying back then that it was nonsense, since the GPU business was critical to AMD (and it was).

You could easily have made the same financial argument, that AMD couldn't afford it's poorly performing GPU business that was dragging it down. But likely that wasn't being considered as GPU is a critical part of modern CPU business.

It's going to take more than a bad quarter and nonsense from MLID to convince me that Intel is abandoning the discrete GPU business. Especially when Intel themselves are saying the opposite.

I find it hilarious that people keep believing sketchy rumors contradicted by companies involved, and when those ones completely fail to pan out, they jump right a believing the next sketchy rumor to come along.

Reactions: PingSpike
Jul 27, 2020
We played Doom Eternal again and in 20 minutes..Black Screen..and not detected at all. We had to move it to another PCI-e to get it to turn on again.
I don't think any reviewers mentioned such black screen and moving card to other PCIe slot issues. Maybe you got a poor sample? Maybe Gunnir managed to make a better card than Asrock (Gunnir is pretty expensive).

999 limit per customer. I wonder if Intel suckered them into making a million of these cards :D

Jul 27, 2020
They have to continue regardless, unless they are going to have AMD/NVidia build their iGPUs
Nvidia has surplus inventory. Maybe they struck a deal with Intel to let them sell rebadged RTX cards. Only the BIOS and drivers/control panel UI are all cosmetically Intel so the average gamer has no clue that Intel bought these for cheap from Nvidia.

Reactions: Lodix

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
While there certainly is an element of Schadenfreude in some responses, that is mainly because Intel and/or Raja have behaved to so bullish the whole past 5 years.

And what Asterox lined to earlier (the story about when Intel exited their attempts at mobile), was hardly the first time Intel spent $billions with nothing to show

I can remember: Networking (okay they have some Ethernet but back in the 1990s they were aiming for Cisco and Juniper), Larrabee, Itanium, Atom in mobiles, 5G modems, and probably more I've forgotten.

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
It's not a critical part of the business, that's what you are missing.
It is extremely critical for their laptop business. CPU without integrated graphics is useless there. They can't just abandon their graphic division. Their iGPUs use the same architecture and they need to fix the drivers.

I still think that they are not going to give up now. Alchemist is essentially a test run and main point is to get the drivers working. Battlemage should be much more interesting.