News Intel GPUs - Intel launches A580

Page 101 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
Nvidia installs drivers through Geforce Experience, not through Windows. Perhaps Intel should also have their own installer.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Intel submits new drivers

Are you sure Intel is upstreaming those drivers to MS? Or has MS frozen a driver set for legacy hardware that's known to work? In any case, Arc isn't old hardware by any stretch of the imagination. If Intel submits a driver to MS and says, "here use this driver for x device", MS isn't going to just ignore them.

It could be that in the case of the LTT video, the specific functionality supported by the unreleased-except-on-a-blog driver isn't included in the mainstream driver because it's broken somehow. Which given the crashy behavior of Arc under various workloads on LTT's laptop, it's safe to say that the drivers are broken.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
This old driver install issue is very old. I have this old driver downloading nonsense also on my old 7700k and newer i7-1165G7. Intel submits new drivers but for some reason Windows likes to revert to very old iGPU drivers sometimes. Microsoft has all the drivers including the newest ones and sometimes they are newer than Intels official, why do you think Intel is to blame?

Hardware manufacturers are the ones in charge of drivers, including which version to install. What makes you think MS is the expert on third party hardware?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97 and moinmoin
Jul 27, 2020
It all depends on how Microsoft is choosing the drivers to install. Are they simply installing the highest driver version compatible with the detected hardware? Or is their algo taking into account other factors like hints from the hardware manufacturer (like do not install latest version if some other software or hardware incompatibility is detected on the system in question)?

Anyway, for the majority of gamers, this seems to be a non-issue. Most will go to the official site and download and install whatever the latest version is. Only ones impacted would be newbies or kids who haven't yet understood the connection between driver version and hardware performance.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
AV1 encode might be the only good thing in that list. Build quality, well without good drivers that is only useful if planning to use it as a door stop!

That just makes it really interesting as a HTPC card. You can put up with poor driver performance if it just handles video correctly. Would also do okay'ish for a Ryzen without IGP that's not used for gaming ironically.

But that seems the only things it's good for currently.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
This old driver install issue is very old. I have this old driver downloading nonsense also on my old 7700k and newer i7-1165G7. Intel submits new drivers but for some reason Windows likes to revert to very old iGPU drivers sometimes. Microsoft has all the drivers including the newest ones and sometimes they are newer than Intels official, why do you think Intel is to blame?
Because everyone not named Intel seems to be able to get it to work just peachy.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
It all depends on how Microsoft is choosing the drivers to install. Are they simply installing the highest driver version compatible with the detected hardware? Or is their algo taking into account other factors like hints from the hardware manufacturer (like do not install latest version if some other software or hardware incompatibility is detected on the system in question)?

Anyway, for the majority of gamers, this seems to be a non-issue. Most will go to the official site and download and install whatever the latest version is. Only ones impacted would be newbies or kids who haven't yet understood the connection between driver version and hardware performance.

Last I understood (my knowledge is dated), there isn’t really much to it. Company submits a driver, Windows Update will download that driver if you have compatible hardware. The issue is that sometimes mistakes are made and certain hardware is omitted or erroneously added. For example, Creative uploaded a driver for my sound card that isn’ t compatible, so I have to blacklist driver updates now because they haven’t released a driver since.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004

Last time I checked, Windows driver updates through windows update is on by default. I've had it repeatedly install newer broken AMD GPU drivers over working older ones anyway.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Last time I checked, Windows driver updates through windows update is on by default. I've had it repeatedly install newer broken AMD GPU drivers over working older ones anyway.

Nobody's disputing that. AMD chose that driver for Windows to install for that particular dGPU though.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Leeea

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
There's always the option of marking your network connection as "metered" in Windows. This way all driver installs and updates require user approval. The downside is one needs to manually approve ALL updates, including security.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
I have never had issues with windows installing the wrong driver on any of the computers I am associated with. Old laptops, newer laptops, custom builds, etc.

Ya all live in a dystopian nightmare.

I even checked, I still have hardware updates enabled.

------------------------------------------

There's always the option of marking your network connection as "metered" in Windows. This way all driver installs and updates require user approval. The downside is one needs to manually approve ALL updates, including security.

That is a bit extreme.

punch "Device Installation Settings " into your start menu
select option "No" to the question "Do you want to automatically download manufacturers' apps and custom icons available for your devices?"

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Ya all live in a dystopian nightmare.

Laugh all you want. MS still sends me driver updates that break Radeon Software. The driver works but it's very barebones. I have to download drivers from AMD and override whatever MS has sent me. That usually does the trick. But every now and then, MS gets a new driver from AMD and whabam, Radeon Software becomes incompatible with the current driver cuz MS never updates that application.

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
GN tests the A380. It's not pretty:
By the looks of it they have A750 Limited Edition. Under NDA I guess.
Screenshot (9).jpg

In any case... quite interesting how it behaves. It's pretty clear that it has potential but the driver quality is all over the place. It has potential to perform well in games that (I assume) have optimisations but <=DX11 games - especially older ones - may perform really poorly. But apparently it can at least run games without horrible issues.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Leeea
Jul 27, 2020
Intel will publish a "best experience" guide for getting the best out of their ARC GPUs, because they are so sophisticated, you actually need to read to understand how to use them best.

By the way, I miss Lisa Pearce. Wish she would post daily updates on her driver nightmares on her blog :p

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Man, this card pretty much always loses to an AMD 6400, which is the card everybody complains about for its 4x PCIe, which requires PCIe 4.0. The Intel card has 8x PCIe, but it REQUIRES your system to support REBAR, or its performance is garbage. So neither card is any good for older systems, which is really the only people that would even consider these bottom end cards.

Reactions: Tlh97 and psolord