News Intel GPUs - Intel launches A580

Page 65 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 27, 2020
[As per this article 23 of those GFX vulnerabilities are from the Vega graphics in Kaby Lake -G
A good number of engineers who worked on that product are likely working on DG2, too. I would expect more of the same. It would be a miracle if they just developed a security-first mindset in a few years.

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
Kady Lake-g turned into the dumpster fire many of us thought it would be. AMD gave it the support that intel paid for, and not a second more.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Perhaps the fact that people are continually veering off topic is an indication that interest towards Intel dGPUs are less than we think?

Kaby-G is pretty much a concept that they decided to sell because the company was just escaping the jaws of the previous garbage management. I'm pretty sure that's NOT the basis you want to use to compare to their future products. You could have made the same argument of Alderlake ending up being a total fail looking at Lakefield. Including the mention about security(which I find annoying).

You have garbage management, people will hate them and intentionally break NDAs and leak secretive info or purposely install backdoors. Something like 70% of the people in a survey said they would leak company info if they got fired. Tells you majority of modern day people have no morals, but that's the reality.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Perhaps the fact that people are continually veering off topic is an indication that interest towards Intel dGPUs are less than we think?

We're in limbo here. Launch is maybe 2 months away and no demos or anything yet? Intel should at least start showing off the capability of their pre-release driver builds. It would go a long way to show Halo Infinite working properly on Arc.

Grabo

Apr 5, 2005
We're in limbo here. Launch is maybe 2 months away and no demos or anything yet? Intel should at least start showing off the capability of their pre-release driver builds. It would go a long way to show Halo Infinite working properly on Arc.

I agree. Maybe it's a long way off..I hope not, I wanna see how they do in Fedora with Wayland and a number of games, some via Proton and some native. Though I have little reason to disbelieve MLID when he says he thinks ARC will make a significant market impact in ~December. If launched in July they will probably be sold out instantly and then overpriced but it shall be interesting to see whether they come with an MSRP and if so then is it realistic or more like AMD's and Nvidias higher tier offerings in the current gen?

Grabo

Apr 5, 2005
We haven't even seen Arc running Windows yet.

So what? I'm not interested in Windows. I understand others are, there's no hard rule that Windows examples need to come first. From a corporate perspective the official first Halo video will be on Windows I'm sure. That still matters not a whit to me other than to show that we are nearing release. The Linux kernel has received preps for DG2 for some time. It's going to be an interesting year!

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005

Kaby-G is pretty much a concept that they decided to sell because the company was just escaping the jaws of the previous garbage management. I'm pretty sure that's NOT the basis you want to use to compare to their future products. You could have made the same argument of Alderlake ending up being a total fail looking at Lakefield. Including the mention about security(which I find annoying).

You have garbage management, people will hate them and intentionally break NDAs and leak secretive info or purposely install backdoors. Something like 70% of the people in a survey said they would leak company info if they got fired. Tells you majority of modern day people have no morals, but that's the reality.

Intel isn’t providing any compelling info.

I think a lot of people have interest, however, many people assume the discrete cards will have strong availability, and in reality, they won’t.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
So what? I'm not interested in Windows.

Go to the back of the line then. Whether or not this thing will sell has everything to do with its Windows drivers.

@Dayman1225

True, but I was more thinking leaked gameplay footage from people with prerelease cards or some other guerilla marketing spiel that Intel used to rely on constantly.

Grabo

Apr 5, 2005
Whether or not this thing will sell has everything to do with its Windows drivers.

Yes, technically, though realistically it's kind of hard to imagine what would need to happen for ARC cards to become available en masse at recommended retail prices in the current climate.

Probably such driver problems that the performance of the top model rhymed with an RX 570 in many games combined with a hw issue that caused one of the models to spontaneously catch fire and feature on the Gamersnexus yt channel.

Jul 27, 2020
Probably such driver problems that the performance of the top model rhymed with an RX 570 in many games combined with a hw issue that caused one of the models to spontaneously catch fire and feature on the Gamersnexus yt channel.
Link, please.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
MLID has some new leaks for Alchemist and he is saying don’t expect DG2 desktop high end until atleast the start of Q2 2022 mainly due to drivers.

At least it sounds like they're taking the time to polish the drivers before launch. At least that's something. I'd rather wait a few months for good drivers, then buy something now with semi-working ones.

Intel had better get it right the first time. Otherwise they might as well shoot themselves in the foot.

Reactions: Tlh97 and psolord

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
hmm, considering that the architecture is essentially the same as Xe in their iGPUs, which has been out well over a year, and still has issues in multiple games, I don't exactly have a lot of confidence that they'll get the drivers fixed in 60-90 days...

Intel has to PROVE to me that they won't suddenly decide "Hey, this is hard, lets walk away from it and pretend that it never happened" like they have with several video products over the last few years.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
Seems like May-June the big DG2 is coming, all of the MLID sources basically say the same. DG2-128 is coming earlier apparently, in particular the mobile DG2-128 (Acer Swift X 16)

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
hmm, considering that the architecture is essentially the same as Xe in their iGPUs, which has been out well over a year, and still has issues in multiple games, I don't exactly have a lot of confidence that they'll get the drivers fixed in 60-90 days...

Intel has to PROVE to me that they won't suddenly decide "Hey, this is hard, lets walk away from it and pretend that it never happened" like they have with several video products over the last few years.

Given Intels track record with graphics, I'm no exactly confident either. But at least they seem to making an effort.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Sounds like it's time to start poaching some NVidia driver developers :)

I'll bet that NVidia pays pretty well. I guess that they'll need to offer some unique perks, like a Tesla Model S as a signing bonus.

Jul 27, 2020
Knowing Jensen, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that all their top developers have strict non-compete clauses preventing them from working for a competitor for a year or more.