News Intel GPUs - Intel launches A580

Page 98 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
They are still in the process of changing the company. You don't change a 100K+ place overnight, especially when the problems were brewing for more than a decade.
That's fair! But you also don't change a company whose most profitable and lucrative business is with huge enterprises by becoming CEO and then start acting like a 9 years old hyperbolic kid with ADHD, going around trashing everyone left and right AT ALL, not just not overnight.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Leeea

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
If it's driver related rather than architecture related there is hope for improvements, it's worse if it's more architecture related.
Can be both. Bad uArch making it hard to make a good driver. Or too many bugs in the final hardware needing too many possibly complex drivers workarounds not yet fully solved so performance tanks.
This is same failure as AMD is doing. NV isn't a hardware company, it's a software company that sells hardware for their software. Desiging the hardware without consideration of the software is probably a very bad idea.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Just saying, but didn't AMD tell people to just shut down half of the CPU they payed a lot of money for (use game mode) because it was performing badly in games?!
If that was the FX platform you thing AMD would have given even half a duck about fixing it?!
AMD pulled that crap 10 years ago, and then spent years in the doghouse while even AMD fans bought Intel. Nearly bankrupted the company. Pretty easy to see AMD learned a lesson from that.

Intel discontinued directx12 support for its "older" iGPUs 7 months ago, in November 2021. This is not some ancient history for Intel. This is how todays Intel "fixed" its drivers.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

NBC review of a laptop with the A370M. It does manage to be comparable to Rembrandt... while using power comparable to a 3050 Ti laptop.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
So when I said they need to stick to it until they succeed this is what I mean. It's looking pretty terrible right now and the morale is probably pretty low. Absence of them saying anything is evidence.

It could possibly go even lower with even Battlemage having serious issues. Work at it until you succeed.

that's the funniest sounding typo I've read for months 🤣

Why not? Whether they are truly serious will depend on if they make the cards work in all platforms without issues. And if it was good enough people would get it.

Reactions: Leeea

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011

NBC review of a laptop with the A370M. It does manage to be comparable to Rembrandt... while using power comparable to a 3050 Ti laptop.

That is... not looking great.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
Intel could not have picked a worse time to finally launch. Had they launched 3-6 months ago, they would have sold like hotcakes. Now? A lower price might help.

Of course, Intel will gain significant market share anyway because they'll partner with OEMs to offer Intel only designs (discounts for all Intel SKUs, rebates, etc.)

The biggest loser here is likely going to be NVIDIA. Intel + NVIDIA is the combination nearly all Intel laptops use. AMD will have AMD + AMD, and sure, there will probably be some AMD + NVIDIA laptops, but here too, AMD can tighten the screws a bit. For DIY I don't see much changing.
That is... not looking great.

There is no such thing as a bad product, only bad pricing. 😉

Reactions: Tlh97 and Ajay

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Intel could not have picked a worse time to finally launch. Had they launched 3-6 months ago, they would have sold like hotcakes. Now? A lower price might help.

Of course, Intel will gain significant market share anyway because they'll partner with OEMs to offer Intel only designs (discounts for all Intel SKUs, rebates, etc.)

The biggest loser here is likely going to be NVIDIA. Intel + NVIDIA is the combination nearly all Intel laptops use. AMD will have AMD + AMD, and sure, there will probably be some AMD + NVIDIA laptops, but here too, AMD can tighten the screws a bit. For DIY I don't see much changing.
There is no such thing as a bad product, only bad pricing. 😉
Well... there's always Contra-revenue.... *grin*

Reactions: Tlh97 and KompuKare

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
So when I said they need to stick to it until they succeed this is what I mean. It's looking pretty terrible right now and the morale is probably pretty low. Absence of them saying anything is evidence.

It could possibly go even lower with even Battlemage having serious issues. Work at it until you succeed.

Why not? Whether they are truly serious will depend on if they make the cards work in all platforms without issues. And if it was good enough people would get it.
Right. Intel is competing with other GFX companies that have been around for 30 years who basically created the AIB GFX market. They are not going to be competitive in the near term. It would be a miracle if they were.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Intel sourced benchmarks A730m and A770m:

Code:
               RTX 3050 Ti    Arc A730M       RTX 3060    Arc A770M   

17 Game Mean   57,2           64,6            78,8           88,3

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
That's fair! But you also don't change a company whose most profitable and lucrative business is with huge enterprises by becoming CEO and then start acting like a 9 years old hyperbolic kid with ADHD, going around trashing everyone left and right AT ALL, not just not overnight.

I don't appreciate your words as they sound like a personal attack against me.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
L
umm..... you accidentally wrote Remembrandt and it sounded really funny to me, there was no hidden agenda there 🙂

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Any more inappropriate comments or content about women will be given immediate infractions.

This is a tech sub-forum, and not the babe thread.

AT Mod Usandthem
I am thoroughly confused.

You have issues with moderation direction? make an MD thread. It's not for discussion in a thread.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
Man, if these numbers are to be believed... this isn't looking good for Intel compared to what many had hoped.

They are comparing the A770 to a mobile 85 watt 3060. It wins by an average of 12%. Keep in mind the desktop 3060 is about 20% faster on average than the mobile version. So the desktop version of the 3060 is around 10% faster than the Intel A770

Intel A770:
TSMC 6nm (7nm)
406mm^2
21.7B transistors
120 Watt
Released in 2022

Geforce 3060:
Samsung 8nm (10nm)
276mm^2
12.B transistors
170 Watt (desktop)
Released in 2020

Geforce 1080:
TSMC 16nm
314mm^2
7.2B transistors
180 Watt
Released in 2016

I mean, it's stunning how bad they are doing. Nvidia was at this same performance level 6 years ago, with a smaller die despite being a node+ behind. Intel is using three times the transistors to get the same amount of performance. I see why Intel is limiting it to China where hundreds of millions would still gladly get 3060-level performance for e-sports titles. You can find a desktop 3060 for nearly $350 now in stock. Imagine Intel trying to convince their board of shareholders that they are going to sell a 406mm^2 chip for $250? Its just not market feasible at that performance level and chip size.

Its looking like Intel is well over half a decade behind NV and AMD who aren't going to slow down. Maybe Intel will find some server compute uses for these but outside of that it looks like a bust.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009

Offering intel only laptops could bite them in the ass if word gets around and people will just buy AMD products instead in that segment.

But it doesn't matter that much as I would guess 80% or more of the laptop market is iGPU only anyway.

So from the benchmark this A370 barley beats a 1050 which I have running in my 3 year old work laptop? Ouch....

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Wow what a thread!

Intel's GPU launch implosion is truly a testicle to behold!

Terrible performance, terrible power consumption, huge chunks of silicon vs the competition, complete failure to control the narrative (Intel is losing the meme game hard here, potentially the most damaging thing to come out of a launch like this is perception of potentially solid future products).

I knew this was going to be a rough launch for Intel, but this is just spectacularly bad. It wasn't going to be great when their top end might have hit 3070 levels but this is just laughably bad.

randomhero

Apr 28, 2020
Wow what a thread!

Intel's GPU launch implosion is truly a testicle to behold!

Terrible performance, terrible power consumption, huge chunks of silicon vs the competition, complete failure to control the narrative (Intel is losing the meme game hard here, potentially the most damaging thing to come out of a launch like this is perception of potentially solid future products).

I knew this was going to be a rough launch for Intel, but this is just spectacularly bad. It wasn't going to be great when their top end might have hit 3070 levels but this is just laughably bad.
It was to be expected. Someone with connections in Intel(I need to search forum to give credit) said that they outsourced product validation, hence countless delays.

It would have been nice to have more competition in GPU market but it is not happening soon.

Edit: https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...ure-lakes-rapids-thread.2509080/post-40770411
Thanks @Exist50 !

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
From videocardz (with data shared from wccftech)

Intel Arc desktop finally launched

I think it's not bad, it's just expensive. Maybe. I don't know. I mean it does have more vram and better decoder. These are not free. You don't know how UE5 or next gen games in general, will react with more vram later on. For a first try I am ok with it.

What I am not OK with, is the even greater performance drop, on AMD systems, which will obviously include other systems as well.