News Intel GPUs - Intel launches A580

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004

While its all speculation in response to vagueness from Intel, it does sound like this is going to be a discrete card in name only. I think the only real change from existing Intel is this is going to help yields because they can glue the chip on afterwards rather than relying upon yield.

I wonder what this will do for power consumption? And if its on the same package as the CPU...how is it going to have dedicated memory? Seems more likely it'll just use DDR4 off the motherboard from the CPU to me.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
I think the only real change from existing Intel is this is going to help yields because they can glue the chip on afterwards rather than relying upon yield.

I wonder what this will do for power consumption? And if its on the same package as the CPU...how is it going to have dedicated memory? Seems more likely it'll just use DDR4 off the motherboard from the CPU to me.

Tigerlake has the 96EU Xe integrated into the die, its not MCM.

The DG1 is basically that GPU but put in discrete graphics.

Edit: According to Notebookcheck, the GeForce MX150 does 35 FPS at 1080p medium settings. So as of now, Xe as about the same as an MX150 in performance.

Looks like its about 50% faster than Icelake in that game. RX Vega 8 does pretty well in that game, at least in one configuration.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
The Destiny 2 demo was running at 1080p low with FPS in the 40s, along with significant input delay:

Edit: According to Notebookcheck, the GeForce MX150 does 35 FPS at 1080p medium settings. So as of now, Xe as about the same as an MX150 in performance.

I saw that. Bletch, as expected. It's early still, but displaying a 1080p low detail slideshow at CES probably says a lot and confirms even more.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
curious to see what is the memory bandwidth on the GPU used for the destiny 2 demo
the GT 1030 can deliver something comparable with less than 50GB/s

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
A guy from Intel was on Reddit and he mentioned that the architecture was scalable and expected to use it to go from mobile to desktop to workstation. Didn't mention the time frame though.

RetroZombie

Nov 5, 2019
A guy from Intel was on Reddit and he mentioned that the architecture was scalable and expected to use it to go from mobile to desktop to workstation. Didn't mention the time frame though.
That would be an area where they should concentrate their first efforts if gaming is not good as intended.

I have seen many problems even in simple software like corel draw in which even a simple task like printing a page (print preview) can be complicated for the amd and nvidia gpus.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
Are they going to keep it integrated in future desktop chips with the exact same architecture and drivers as the discrete cards?

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Are they going to keep it integrated in future desktop chips with the exact same architecture and drivers as the discrete cards?

Isn't that the whole point?

Implementation will probably change somewhat. But the foundation should be very similar.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Not a great impression of the demo system; hopefully performance problems were down to low-clocked early samples, or driver problems.

What if DG1 doesn't stand for "Discrete Graphics 1", rather "Development Graphics 1"?

We saw Arctic Sound from Intel drivers. And from Ashraf we also know that's the first confirmed dGPU part.

So if that's true it means we still have no idea on the specifications of the first Intel dGPU.

Addendum: Ashraf also said Arctic Sound is connected to Intel CPUs via EMIB. So Kaby-G. Maybe PCIe add-on cards are next year.

Last edited:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Yeah, details as to how easy/hard the issue is to implement have not been shown. The fix for current gen iGPU's has almost not performance impact. But for the older chips, it appears to be pretty major.

Panino Manino

Jan 28, 2017
If my brother starts complaining about the performance of that Skylake notebook I let with him I already know why.

This is all pretty serious.
Hardware that otherwise should remain usable for a decade now are all becoming "obsolete".

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
It has to perform in gaming, or it will be a fail. I am not talking about topping the charts, but it should be able to compete with AMD/NV's offerings in the mid-range, so that people start believing in it. From there Intel can try to scale it up or down.