News Intel GPUs - Intel launches A580

Page 172 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
This could go in many threads, but it covers Arc a lot and GPU prices in general. "You keep buying Nvidia!"

It reminds me of the car enthusiast online always saying they want manual transmission station wagons, but then no one buys them when offered. It's kind of car forum meme at this point.

It's almost like the demographic of people who spend time online talking about a thing is different than the general population that actually buys those things.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Ranulf

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
It reminds me of the car enthusiast online always saying they want manual transmission station wagons, but then no one buys them when offered. It's kind of car forum meme at this point.

It's almost like the demographic of people who spend time online talking about a thing is different than the general population that actually buys those things.
Station wagon? More like rwd manual transmission sports car. Enter the Chevy SS/Holden Commodore SS V. Which failed because not enough Americans bought it. Sorry for off-topic but

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
They're not wrong. Steve is also right about Intel not needing a kickstarter. However, they do need an install base. Higher ups aren't going to keep throwing money at it forever. Biggest bummer is that the $199 price was only for a hot second. At $250 it isn't blowing anyone's skirt up.

Then you have Bryan over there grabastically testing ARC like a monkey humping a football. Not using rebar with ARC this late in the game? Come on man. Dawid was the last joker that pulled that gaffe, and that was quite a ways back now. It's amazing it did as well as it did without it.
Rather harsh, no? At least an ancient PC customer could see if it made sense. The low prices would be attractive to some of them.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Station wagon? More like rwd manual transmission sports car. Enter the Chevy SS/Holden Commodore SS V. Which failed because not enough Americans bought it. Sorry for off-topic but

RWD anything. I recall a meme saying something like "FWD sucks monkey nuts".

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Rather harsh, no? At least an ancient PC customer could see if it made sense. The low prices would be attractive to some of them.
Yeah, I get aggro from the caffeine in my pre workout stack. Gave up coffee during the pandemic, so I am much more sensitive to the go go juice that's in it now.

Testing it on an old platform like that is fine "for science" but he didn't communicate about it properly with the viewers. If I turn off rebar the first thing that happens at desktop, is the Intel software informs me it's off and has a click for help. So they can show you how to turn it on.

Personally, I would not recommend ARC to those owners. The performance is too unbalanced on those old systems. They're better off with a RX 6600 or RTX 3050 in the same price range.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
RWD anything. I recall a meme saying something like "FWD sucks monkey nuts".

Nah, this is rather specific, well known meme in car enthusiast circles.

I've been on the Miata forum for 20 years, and since Miata's are kind of small for a lot of tasks, the subject of other more practical cars come up a lot, and its that over the years there has been a constant lament about the lack of MT Station Wagons (bonus points for RWD/Diesel). It turns out this comes up on a lot of other enthusiast car forums as well, such that I have also seen it mentioned on multiple car sites over the years.

So in car enthusiast circles you see a lot of love professed for the MT Wagon, something that doesn't actually sell...

In my “Cars of a Lifetime” article, The RWD Diesel Stick-Shift Brown Station Wagon Mythical Beast of the Internet, I touched briefly on the American car enthusiast’s fetishization of this unusual car. With this article, I hope to provide a comprehensive study into why this particular car has become an object of desire, and the realities of actual availability and sales of the rare beast.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
According to JPR, Intel took it's 2% market share increase from Nvidia -

yBwmrKYeZLixszJy.jpg

https://www.techpowerup.com/309822/...rd-market-continued-its-correction-in-q1-2023

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Good news and bad news. The Sparkle A750 is almost back in stock @ newegg and all other A750 GPU's are in stock @ newegg. The bad news, all GPU's are in stock. This includes all the RX7600 models as well. A price correction across the board is still in order based on lack of demand for all GPU's.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I think demand is actually there. I need one, but not at these prices. everyone knows it. like deflation. why buy now when i will likely get more in a couple months for the same money.
That's my plan. I would rather go with an Intel GPU as a filler card than buy a slightly better AMD or Nvidia card. I wanted the ARC A770 simply because of the 16GB of Vram. Prices for Vram are in the gutter right now. But I could get by with an A750 for $149-$179. Even $199 is a maybe from me.

Demand is not there for any GPU. It's the flash sales for a day or two or one day sales that will spur temporary demand for ARC GPU's.

I still do not understand AMD. They could sell a ton of the 6800 and 6800xt cards is they would sell them for $300-$400. Those are 7nm cards with close to 3 year old technology.

For Intel, the $199 price point and below is where things get interesting. Arc was well over a year late. Close to 2 years behind schedule. People should set expectations according to RDNA 2 and Nvidia 30 series cards.

Experts said on paper (before Arc launch) that the A770 was equal to and a bit better than a 3070 based on hardware specs. The A750 has already equaled the 3060 and 6650xt cards. I think it may top out close to 3060ti performance if Intel can improve on driver performance. The A770 performance is trailing the A750 on performance for how well the cards were expected to perform. That's a driver issue for Intel.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
The Limited Edition cards are finally worthy of their name:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
That would explain why it has been OOS at Newegg for almost 2 weeks now. Interesting that ASRock adn Sparkle don't have a 16GB model to fill the gap. Gunnir doesn't really have a presence here in the U.S. leaving the Bifrost as the only readily available option.

Must be an unprofitable card to make and have to sell at sub $350 to move them. The A750 being so close in most games performance wise doesn't help either.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
That would explain why it has been OOS at Newegg for almost 2 weeks now. Interesting that ASRock adn Sparkle don't have a 16GB model to fill the gap. Gunnir doesn't really have a presence here in the U.S. leaving the Bifrost as the only readily available option.

Must be an unprofitable card to make and have to sell at sub $350 to move them. The A750 being so close in most games performance wise doesn't help either.

Yeah, I don't see how the 16GB 770 was anything other than a loss leader at that price.

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
Yeah, I don't see how the 16GB 770 was anything other than a loss leader at that price.
Was it really though?
8GB vs 16GB is currently about $20 on the spot market.
The 16GB 6800 performs better and is way more consistent. Haven't monitored the lowest the 16GB A770 went to in the US, but in Europe it was more than a 6700 XT and not far of a 6800.
So unless the 16GB 6800 is also a loss leader?

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
Maybe the A770 refresh is coming!

Faster clocks, smaller process.
A shrink from N6 to N3 would be pretty neat.

Sadly, companies try to do way more than a die shrink these days.

I seem to remember AMD, for example, porting Athlon designs to a better process with few changes in order to beat some “hot” new Intel part that dropped.

If Intel did a die shrink, driver refresh, and pricing restructure, they could probably do quite well, especially if they can get those clock speeds ramped up without hitting a bottleneck.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
I think demand is actually there. I need one, but not at these prices. everyone knows it. like deflation. why buy now when i will likely get more in a couple months for the same money.
Saying the same thing, but demand is there at the right price. I'd say pricing is about 50% higher than I'd like it across the board for the performance offered.