News Intel GPUs - Intel launches A580

Page 157 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
I wish he had done more RT benchmarks but the ones he chose show ARC beating both its rivals.

Overall, this should be a very compelling card for $300 once the Alchemist Refresh goes on sale.
Aware of any tests on older games? I like RTS games and some of the best are almost ancient.

Jul 27, 2020
Ideally, Intel should be maintaining an updated list on their ARC support pages.

Probably just copy paste effort required coz they must have a list on their intranet.

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
performance-2560-1440.png
Intel does very well in Atomic Heart. In all cases actually (min fps and even 1080p). It's highly unlikely that driver update would make RTX 3060 catch up A770.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
View attachment 77002
Intel does very well in Atomic Heart. In all cases actually (min fps and even 1080p). It's highly unlikely that driver update would make RTX 3060 catch up A770.

I wanted to say, why these idiots at TPU don't use a blue color for Intel, so we can distinguish the Intel GPUs, but then I looked reaaally close, and I saw there is a blueish tint on the intel bar.

Wow this TN monitor we have at work, is for the landfill. I am going to complain to the boss right now. How dare they, have me working on a monitor that does not show colors correctly, when I am looking at TPU graphs? FML!

Jul 27, 2020
How dare they, have me working on a monitor that does not show colors correctly, when I am looking at TPU graphs? FML!
You can go into the monitor settings and mess with brightness/contrast and the three primary color values to see if you can make the colors look better.

Reactions: psolord

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003

It performs similarly compared to RTX 3060 and RTX 3070 in all resolutions, indicating the drivers have little to improve if any. Because you'll see in vast majority of other games the 1440p standings improve noticeably and in 4K improve noticeably again.

Also, the min frame rate does even better on ARC compared to average. This is very good.

And they are the first one with the Day 0 driver.

Somebody said that in Intel Discord that they have split the teams into various different roles to improve the "too many cooks" problem, and also into Legacy vs Modern titles. It's people not the tech!

Panino Manino

Jan 28, 2017
Wow this TN monitor we have at work, is for the landfill. I am going to complain to the boss right now. How dare they, have me working on a monitor that does not show colors correctly, when I am looking at TPU graphs? FML!

Should you be looking at gaming benchmarks on work?

• Love
Reactions: psolord

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Maybe, what's he been eating lately.
Would be good to look his blood pressure.
You are fully capable of adding to the discussion, and while you currently are not

cooler-if-you-did.gif

On topic: Intel has stated future software updates will be focused on refining and improving the user experience, addressing the most reported bugs, that kind of thing. And that the big improvements to be found in games via drivers are mostly over. Their performance in new titles is encouraging, particularly concerning the frame pacing issues that have plagued them. Averages would look good, but it would be a stutter fest.

Jul 27, 2020
They are doing the right thing. I'm pretty sure that they are excited that people are buying their cards and willing to be beta testers. Must make them feel like Robinhood, taking money away from Jensen.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
On topic: Intel has stated future software updates will be focused on refining and improving the user experience, addressing the most reported bugs, that kind of thing. And that the big improvements to be found in games via drivers are mostly over. Their performance in new titles is encouraging, particularly concerning the frame pacing issues that have plagued them. Averages would look good, but it would be a stutter fest.

TAP also said on the latest interview that they can maybe compare to 70 series in terms of hardware but the driver is holding it back, also pointing out issues such as with DX11 titles. Also said don't expect they can get there, but seems to point to the potential.

They still got lot to go in performance. And for features it needs VR support and doing a quite a bit more to improve ARC Control.

Performance
-DX12 games like Cyberpunk 2077 perform poorly under older CPUs such as Zen 2. Noticeably so.
-In only a handful titles(RDR2/Atomic Heart/Metro Exodus for examples) it doesn't do worse on 1080p. That means CPU-related bottleneck, or in this case drivers.
-Overall DX11 performance is still very poor.

The drivers not doing a very good job is why it looks like it does so well on Ray Tracing. Ok, it has good Ray Tracing hardware, but the much increased demand shifts the need back to GPU, thus the CPU/driver deficiency is hidden.

Last edited:

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012

I doubt Intel told this. There are people working on performance improvements, people working on control panel or other software specific things (XeSS, OpenCL...) and people working on bugfixing and so on. Performance improvements is always an ongoing work and sometimes we see improvements very late in the cycle, AMD improved their OpenGL and DX11 overhead years later. DX11 and DX12 is ongoing work, there is no doubt they have to improve going forward. Dx12 in some games and DX11 overall. Halo Infinite still performs very bad on Arc, Intel told this will be addressed in a future driver update.

Another interview:

The new frontier isn’t DX9, though. It’s DX11. “I do think, especially for DX11 titles, there’s more headroom out there and we’re going to continue to work on it,” Petersen said. “DX12 is going to be more like a labor of love for forever because it’s a little bit more fine-grained, and it’s going to be a per-title kind of slog to make all those wonderful. But I do think there’s still an uplift ahead of us, and it’s more than you’ll typically see with a driver.”

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I doubt Intel told this. There are people working on performance improvements, people working on control panel or other software specific things (XeSS, OpenCL...) and people working on bugfixing and so on. Performance improvements is always an ongoing work and sometimes we see improvements very late in the cycle, AMD improved their OpenGL and DX11 overhead years later. DX11 and DX12 is ongoing work, there is no doubt they have to improve going forward. Dx12 in some games and DX11 overall. Halo Infinite still performs very bad on Arc, Intel told this will be addressed in a future driver update.

Another interview:

You know what, I am going to concede the point, and withdraw the comment, as I can't find where it came from.

Explanation: I think I was listening to a youtube vid or podcast while cooking. And the comment was in regards to newer games. The Tom's article from a couple of days ago seems to support what I heard. In that while old DX9 gains are sometimes big, DX12 performance has overall dropped compared to the launch drivers.

https://www.tomshardware.com/featur...e-revisited-dx9-steps-forward-dx12-steps-back

What's more surprising is to look at the launch performance testing results from last year. Did our PC become slower? Or maybe game updates broke some Intel optimizations that were present? Possibly it's just Windows 11 updates that are to blame. But regardless, most of the launch testing results show a performance regression. Ouch.

They need to make up lost ground. Adding significant gains on top of that will be a neat trick. I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
@DAPUNISHER Yes, Tomshardware screwed up somehow. The Counterstrike results for the launch driver is way too high. DX9 didn't get 360 fps in launch driver and beat A380 significantly. It got 180, and A380 did almost the same.

Intel says in one page firmware updates come with a driver. Maybe it's running the old driver but new firmware? Anyway a shoddy review since every other review shows otherwise.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Tom's nerfing something would not be unusual, that's for certain. But was Intel's own testing just linked as proof? LOL!

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
Tom's nerfing something would not be unusual, that's for certain. But was Intel's own testing just linked as proof? LOL!

Yes this is a proof, there are much more games and they are more detailed with 99th percentile and sure the Intel results make much more sense. In some rare cases there can be small performance losses but this is expected in such a big game environment. Other tests are similar, I haven't seen other tests like THG. The Intel results are in line with other reviews with the exception of THG.

A750 and A770 firmware didn't change, they have 1053 from the beginning which is current. A380 could have changed, my Asrock went from 1049 to 1053 4 months ago.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I found what I was listening to. It was the PCWorld update I posted. Here is where he talks about what I paraphrased.

If you’ve been following my monthly driver update series then the news of massive performance
0:56
uplifts is pretty unsurprising.
0:59
But it sounds like going forward we should expect a focus from Intel on stability and
1:04
normal day 1 drivers as opposed to major swings in raw performance.
1:09
Big increases in performance are likely to come from game-specific optimizations rather
1:15
than general architecture fixes.
1:18
And that’s what led me to this video today.

I could have been more concise, but I was listening while cooking, so get rekt. :smilingimp:

Wendell did an update too. He comments on the frame pacing improvements even when average fps doesn't really change. He spends most of the video with his take on the Halo Infinite issues.

I appreciate that he alludes to how silly it is that everyone still test RotTR. I was just ranting about this in another thread. Intel felt it obligatory to spend time fixing a game no one plays, simply because it's in so many test suites. The review industry is broken.

Reactions: Tlh97 and moinmoin
Feb 4, 2009
I found what I was listening to. It was the PCWorld update I posted. Here is where he talks about what I paraphrased.

If you’ve been following my monthly driver update series then the news of massive performance
0:56
uplifts is pretty unsurprising.
0:59
But it sounds like going forward we should expect a focus from Intel on stability and
1:04
normal day 1 drivers as opposed to major swings in raw performance.
1:09
Big increases in performance are likely to come from game-specific optimizations rather
1:15
than general architecture fixes.
1:18
And that’s what led me to this video today.

I could have been more concise, but I was listening while cooking, so get rekt. :smilingimp:

Wendell did an update too. He comments on the frame pacing improvements even when average fps doesn't really change. He spends most of the video with his take on the Halo Infinite issues.

I appreciate that he alludes to how silly it is that everyone still test RotTR. I was just ranting about this in another thread. Intel felt it obligatory to spend time fixing a game no one plays, simply because it's in so many test suites. The review industry is broken.

I don’t have time to listen to this until late tonight, as you probably know I’ve been cheering for intel. What’s the revised outlook for these cards?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
What’s the revised outlook for these cards?
They are already looking great vs Nvidia in the same price range. Ray tracing is surprisingly good in some titles. They have fixed the command center app. Addressed the terrible performance in the most popular DX9 games. And continue to improve the daily driver experience.

There are still games and apps that are a hot mess, but you have to give them an A for effort. As they continue to iterate on the drivers constantly. I have seen a recent review with the initial install and setup experience still being frustrating. But from most current accounts, once you get past that, and use it every day, the quality of life looks to get quite a bit better.

The Acer Predator BiFrost keeps selling out, which is a good indication that with the proper design decisions, people will buy ARC. I have taken apart 100s of laptops, all-in-ones, and lately, even some hot mess phones. And I still won't touch the Intel editions after seeing the teardown. Way too much work involved. I certainly don't want to own one when it's time to change pads and paste. That is IMO, the biggest negative at this point, and only applies to the Intel models.I will be buying from Acer or ASRock.

I suppose I could lean on Intel near the end of the 3yr warranty and make them service it for me. Then I could get the entire useful life of the card out of it, if I keep it that long. While never having to open that engineering fiasco. :D