News Intel GPUs - Intel launches A580

Page 153 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
This is what a company hedging their future decisions looks like. If they do decide to divest/close the consumer side and keep the much higher margin server/HPC side then this would allow the smallest disruption internally and for the clients.

You can't monetize iGPU development by only keeping workstation GPUs, you do that by keeping consumer GPUs.

Also, 90%+ of companies fire rather than demote people, including high level managers, which is a detriment to the company as a whole if the person was better suited to a lower ranking position. This is a way better way of management and keeps morale from tanking.

There's likely a more ideal spot for an employee and just because he excels in that category doesn't mean that they'll do better in higher positions.

This is what companies say when employees leave or get fired:
-AMD about Raja: "Leaving for family reasons
-Intel Dadi Perlmutter: "Pursuing other opportunities"
-Intel Brian Kraznich: "Fired due to inappropriate relationship with an employee

None of them are what press claims on the surface. This is one of the greatest open secrets. You just need little bit of knowledge and insight to find out the real reason.

Verdict on the effect of the long term to be determined.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikk

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I think people kinda figured it out when Kraznich was fired. But I am not sure which is worse, an improper relationship or something else. That seemed like a low blow.

In any case, I did purchase an A770 but have yet to open the box. With the recent gloomy news regarding ARC, I am debating whether I should bother with it.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
is this Raja fellow being demoted a bad thing and maybe potential doom for ARC
Raja has ideas. Some of which are good. Some of which are not fully baked on release day. Some of which go missing on release day.

I would hold off on intel gpu anything right now. Let some other poor beta tester bleed out testing those bundles of razors.

Unless your into that sort of thing, at which case go for it.

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020
There's likely a more ideal spot for an employee and just because he excels in that category doesn't mean that they'll do better in higher positions.
Yeah, Raja is probably grateful rather than pissed off. After Intel, the only other company to jump to without feeling bad telling his friends about the job switch is Apple. I don't think Apple is gonna let him get anywhere near their GPU designs.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Raja has ideas. Some of which are good. Some of which are not fully baked on release day. Some of which go missing on release day.

I would hold off on intel gpu anything right now. Let some other poor beta tester bleed out testing those bundles of razors.

Unless your into that sort of thing, at which case go for it.

Over the decades I've been screwed by supporting new technology. Everything from a NEC PVR2 video card to a PAS 16 sound card, to an Aureal A3d 3d sound card to Kenwood's fantastically broken from launch TrueX cd rom technology. So I suppose buying an ARC card would allow me to maybe continue the tradition of making about the worst possible hardware choice I could lol.

Last edited:

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Thank you for your service in supporting the innovators!

Welp I haven't even ordered it yet. But that's only because of my budget so I gotta wait lol. I think at worst Intel stops releasing drivers and it'll still be a very usable card. My 5800u iGPU right now's pretty good, for old a$$ games or newer games in 720p with everything turned to low. So this will be a huge step up no matter what.

Jul 27, 2020
I think at worst Intel stops releasing drivers and it'll still be a very usable card.
It will be very lame of them to do that after so much fanfare and promises to the community. The likelihood of that happening is minuscule, in my opinion. I think Intel ARC owners have at least until the release of Battlemage (or its cancellation(!) ) to enjoy regular driver updates. So mid to end of 2024 probably.

Jul 27, 2020
I had one of those on my 386dx40. I loved that card.
I had that same CPU but no sound card. Had to wait until Pentium non-MMX to get a sound card (after I did well in school). It was a generic SB-16 compatible sound card but it was better than nothing and with the case's built-in dual speakers with LED visualizations, I had tons of fun with it. It was taken away from me less than two years later after my dad caught me playing a really addictive breakout game on it at 3:00 A.M. in the morning and sold it :( It would be a few more years before I enrolled in Computer Science (never got a degree!) just to be able to have a PC once again: a Pentium II 300 MHz. Oh, the memories!

Reactions: krawcmac

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Here is a look at Intel's ray tracing v. Nvidia and AMD. I think Intel is going to be a real threat as drivers continue to improve, and they pay developers to optimize for their tech.

Reactions: mikk and moinmoin

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Reviewer from PC World has his 2 month update on ARC. He is now having a pretty good experience with the game side of things. States he will test other features as time goes by.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
That follow-up video's nice, Dawid's video of him with it for a month was funny and well, showed it doesn't play a super old game with 3,000 mods installed very well at all. Which surprised the hell out of me, I use to love the game until I couldn't get far and deleted it. I had no idea it was still that popular with such a huge modding community. I watched the S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 trailer today, I HOPE it plays well on the A770 lol. I'm definitely getting the Acer card in a month or 2.

Jul 27, 2020
I'm definitely getting the Acer card in a month or 2.
That's a long time to expect a cool looking card like that to be in stock. I'm seriously tempted myself but just don't want the overseas shipping and customs duty turning my $400 purchase into something close to $550. I've already had a 3060 Ti FE cost me $500 and then sold it at a loss.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
That's a long time to expect a cool looking card like that to be in stock. I'm seriously tempted myself but just don't want the overseas shipping and customs duty turning my $400 purchase into something close to $550. I've already had a 3060 Ti FE cost me $500 and then sold it at a loss.

You might be on to something, with this card all of a sudden going from meh to pretty good people will start buying it. I did see a random person selling the Acer card on Newegg for $799. I doubt they sold it, but people are idiots, and since it's getting much better reviews with the latest driver with my luck they'll be closer to $799 than $399 come March. I'll try to sell a Kidney so I can afford it before January's over.

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020
I'll try to sell a Kidney so I can afford it before January's over.
I hope it doesn't come to that!

Personally, I would just be patient. If something's in your fate, you will get it. If the card isn't in your fate somehow, you might still purchase it now one way or the other and end up returning it due to some problem. Just save up and buy whatever is best when you are ready to buy. It might even get cheaper by Feb or Mar. All I was saying was, don't get too attached to the idea of having that card :) Often what we want most may not be the best for us.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
since it's getting much better reviews with the latest driver with my luck they'll be closer to $799 than $399 come March. I'll try to sell a Kidney so I can afford it before January's over.
I'll buy one for $329 in March and sell it to you for $399. Deal?

Reactions: Ranulf

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
If that Acer was around $300 I'd almost buy it for the collector/cool looking factor.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I'll buy one for $329 in March and sell it to you for $399. Deal?

Seeing how $399's the current price and I won't be able to buy it till March that's not a bad deal actually. You'd make a terrible scalper.

Last edited:
Reactions: adamge

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
I think people kinda figured it out when Kraznich was fired. But I am not sure which is worse, an improper relationship or something else. That seemed like a low blow.

It's way worse. No one cares about improper relationships. They do things 10x worse morally all the time. Yes, all the time, that's typical in high-end business. It shouldn't be, but that's the cold hard truth. Broadcom CEO probably slept with dozens of women every day, despite being married and having kids. Rumors were that after Intel Developer Forum, they were throwing such "adult parties" at night to attendees.

Kraznich got fired because he screwed up the company responsible for process leadership and rest of the company was also going into the toilet.* I don't know how many are aware of the fact that the entire Sapphire Rapids validation team got fired? And one wonders why 2019 chip had a trouble launching 3 years later.

*That's why there's a saying among the Elites they lure you with a hooker so they can use that as blackmail in case you don't comply. Not saying that's what happened here, but what's public facing is just a tip of the iceberg.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
That follow-up video's nice, Dawid's video of him with it for a month was funny and well, showed it doesn't play a super old game with 3,000 mods installed very well at all. Which surprised the hell out of me, I use to love the game until I couldn't get far and deleted it. I had no idea it was still that popular with such a huge modding community. I watched the S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 trailer today, I HOPE it plays well on the A770 lol. I'm definitely getting the Acer card in a month or 2.

I watched the full video. He said the new driver fixed the performance issue, but it popped up again until a restart of the computer, which even the older driver couldn't replicate. Intel page says they bundle firmware update with drivers? Which sounds a bit crazy to me, but maybe they don't see that as a huge issue as when they manufactured their own-branded boards, it had a recovery mode in case of a bad BIOS flash, so you never truly bricked your board, nor needed more complex Dual BIOS features(like Gigabyte). You just had to put jumpers in the right spot and flash again!

If this is how they view it, then it's a good example of engineer-mindset versus consumer-oriented mindset. Because what seems like easy as eating an apple to an engineer might as well be hocus-pocus to regular consumers.

I am waiting to see how much gains the DX11-oriented driver will net ARC. I am expecting 15-30% gain based on how DX11 games perform right now. Some like Borderlands on 1080p might even get 40%+. They are way better than how it was on DX9, but still on the low end. By the way the DX9 gains aren't just limited to a few games. It benefits even indie titles and foreign games based on reviews.

Battlefield V
Borderlands 3
Days Gone
Divinity Original Sin 2
Halo Infinite
Total War: Warhammer III
League of Legends DX11

It's best API seems to be Vulkan. Even DX12 isn't fully fleshed out. Look at F1 22 for example. I read certain systems have problems with Cyberpunk and Far Cry 6 as well.

How can I tell? Look at how it performs in higher resolutions like 1440p and especially 4K. I doubt it'll ever fully close it but it should be within ballpark. Even DX12 will probably get 5-15%. What happens is that in 4K resolutions the driver bottlenecking the CPU isn't as prevalent.

Also, the answer is not just "DXVK". Twitter research has shown that the latest drivers show some native DX9 support!

(The latest 4032 driver also unifies Iris Xe iGPU and ARC graphics drivers into one)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: psolord