News Intel GPUs - Intel launches A580

Page 43 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
The really sad part is that compared to modern GPUs the FX5800 has a very modest TDP of 44W. Today, nobody bats an eyelid at 200-250W GPUs.

All the old hairdryer jokes and memes just seem quaint compared to whats happening today.

Ha! Is that all? It's kind of hilarious that they didn't cool it better then... I am guessing dimensions wise it was pretty tiny now too.

I picked up a 5900U cheap at some point and honestly it worked really well for what I needed at the time (BF 1942 & CS Source). Pretty sure that was after I had a 6800U and decided it wasn't worth it for what I was doing (poor college student times). I distinctly remember it *not* being the hair dryer I thought it might be.

Oh man... Video card reviews on Anandtech! And done by... Anand?!? Sigh.

Can't even find TDP or noise and power measurements though. Man have times changed! Where's the 1% minimum frames, Anand?!? :p

UGH! GRAPHS IN FLASH!?!? noooooooo.....

I was surprised the $500 price points in 2003 though... $720 in inflation adjusted dollars.

Last edited:

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012

I didn't know DG2 is Gen12_55 based, interesting. It means this list might be not accurate (DG2 was listed as 12_7 there). All the others might be wrong as well because of this.

On a further note, I found there are two DG2 subvariants, one is called G10 and the other G11.
DG2 has Xe_LPD display (version 13) and Xe_HPG (version 12.55) graphics. There are two variants (treated as subplatforms in the code): DG2-G10 and DG2-G11 that require independent programming in some areas.

Last edited:

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Not so crazy about the Arc name but I don't hate it. They do have awesome code names.
I like the Arc name, not completely sold on the code names. "Battlemage" is trying too much, a simple "mage" would fit better in the set.

At the end of the day the branding is fine, let's see if they manage to not screw up SKU naming.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I like the Arc name, not completely sold on the code names. "Battlemage" is trying too much, a simple "mage" would fit better in the set.

At the end of the day the branding is fine, let's see if they manage to not screw up SKU naming.

They are all D&D classes and races.

I did chuckle at how 'Druid' is '(Taking Shape)'. Maybe it was intentional, maybe not.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
Pretty sure we will get a full announcement/reveal at CES. It will be interesting to see price/perf and perf/watt.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Good but somewhat unsurprising is the DX12U spec on these GPUs, means they're somewhat serious about their performance targets.

Intel will have it's own AI upscaler, but not anytime soon. Looks like massively upsampled games is the future we're slowly circling here.

That naming scheme feels a little overwrought. NV has a classy codename scheme that is its own marketing stroke of genius, AMD is no nonsense technical sounding abbreviations, while Intel goes with D&D classes but not even the core ones.

Rogue / Fighter / Wizard / Cleric etc would have been a solid tip of the fedora m'lady to all the neckbeards out there, the current scheme just fills this neckbeard with confused frustration.

I suspect "confused frustration" is likely what we're all in for here in so many different ways whenever Intel gets around to launching these things.

Reactions: Tlh97 and blckgrffn
Feb 4, 2009
They are all D&D classes and races.

I did chuckle at how 'Druid' is '(Taking Shape)'. Maybe it was intentional, maybe not.
Good but somewhat unsurprising is the DX12U spec on these GPUs, means they're somewhat serious about their performance targets.

Intel will have it's own AI upscaler, but not anytime soon. Looks like massively upsampled games is the future we're slowly circling here.

That naming scheme feels a little overwrought. NV has a classy codename scheme that is its own marketing stroke of genius, AMD is no nonsense technical sounding abbreviations, while Intel goes with D&D classes but not even the core ones.

Rogue / Fighter / Wizard / Cleric etc would have been a solid tip of the fedora m'lady to all the neckbeards out there, the current scheme just fills this neckbeard with confused frustration.

I suspect "confused frustration" is likely what we're all in for here in so many different ways whenever Intel gets around to launching these things.

You guys are not 80s D&D nerds are you?

its alphabetical:
A
B
C
D

but why is C "celestial" and not "Cleric"/"Crusader"/"Champion"/"Conjurer" there are probably more i'm forgetting

You are probably correct

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
You guys are not 80s D&D nerds are you?

D&D is bigger now than it has ever been. There are some big budget games that are streamed every week, and even an animated series based on one of those campaigns.

And, the first time I played D&D was in 1994 ;)

Anybody taking bets on if Alchemist is a flop or not? Or if it even shows up I suppose?

Feb 4, 2009
D&D is bigger now than it has ever been. There are some big budget games that are streamed every week, and even an animated series based on one of those campaigns.

And, the first time I played D&D was in 1994 ;)

Anybody taking bets on if Alchemist is a flop or not? Or if it even shows up I suppose?

Still play?

Feb 4, 2009
I'm Shakespearean when it comes to naming. A Rose/Arc by any other name...

IOW I care about substance, not fluff.

I agree and i am okay with arc.
There simply are better names, like this:
Dark Matter or maybe this would be a better name for the driver package.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Anybody taking bets on if Alchemist is a flop or not?

insert Full Metal joke here.

If it's priced right and has availability, it will sell. People are deseperate for dGPUs at acceptable prices. Only way to truly fail is to have drivers that make it too difficult to play a wide swathe of games.

• Haha
Reactions: Stuka87

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

depends on the price and also how good it mines... lol...

IF it mines well, it can be a turd of a card, and it will sell out.
Infact i bet you we wont even get our hands on it as scalpers will gobble them up even b4 the reviews and even if it does perform like turd.
The masses are so starved on a gpu right now, as long as its better then what its currently chugging in our machine, and doesn't cost too far from msrp, they will buy it.

And if it mines... we can kiss this as vaporware as well.

Oh and if they make a gundam or a wifu version of this card, then sigh.... expect a 1000% markup on top.
Oh wait they going by westernization... so i guess if they make a harry potter / Hermine granger version, then yea... expect GG.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Stuka87

gdansk

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2011
2022 Q1? Could be good timing for Intel. It all depends on how long the GPU shortage lasts.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Frankly, Intel having a GPU that can mine is probably what will ultimately make them a long-term player in the GPU market.

Primarily, it will ensure that their GPU division is profitable. We already know that AMD would be better off if it devoted more wafers to making Zen chiplet as opposed to Radeon GPUs and that's even with them being highly competitive with Nvidia again. There's no reason to think that this wouldn't apply even more so to Intel. If mining continues to be profitable they could possibly earn more from GPUs if they're willing to sell directly to miners instead of letting scalpers or retailers eat up the extra profits.

Because Intel doesn't have an existing customer base like AMD or Nvidia, there isn't as much expectation that they try to supply GPUs to a segment of the market that simply isn't willing to pay as much as miners. Given that Intel's drivers aren't nearly as mature and the gaming performance isn't likely to be as good, particularly in their earlier products, I'm not sure gamers will even care, especially considering that any cards Intel sells to miners are AMD/Nvidia cards they don't need to buy.

This means that Intel doesn't need to worry so much about having a perfect (or even necessarily a great) product on their first outing. The can get by with putting out something good enough and focus more on executing the process and building a solid foundation to work from. Normally that wouldn't be possible since they'd just end up with a product sitting on store shelves and the company might end up jettisoning the whole deal if it wasn't going to make a good return.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
depends on the price and also how good it mines... lol...

IF it mines well, it can be a turd of a card, and it will sell out.
Infact i bet you we wont even get our hands on it as scalpers will gobble them up even b4 the reviews and even if it does perform like turd.
The masses are so starved on a gpu right now, as long as its better then what its currently chugging in our machine, and doesn't cost too far from msrp, they will buy it.

And if it mines... we can kiss this as vaporware as well.

Oh and if they make a gundam or a wifu version of this card, then sigh.... expect a 1000% markup on top.
Oh wait they going by westernization... so i guess if they make a harry potter / Hermine granger version, then yea... expect GG.

It would probably take the miners a couple of quarters to write optimized miners for the Intel card with good performance. Who knows, Ethereum might have actually switched over to Proof Of Stake by then, and mining performance will be a moot point.