News Intel GPUs - Intel launches A580

Page 39 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Estimates put it around 380-400 mm^2. Similar size to the RTX 3070 despite being on a smaller node (8nm SS vs 6nm TSMC). Rumours point to 3070-3070Ti perf for top model which isn’t too bad, if priced right it could be a great product for 1st gen.
I really hope it ends up at ~3070 performance (and I guess it has to be at least that, considering 2080 Ti had the same performance in september 2018) but I'm still somewhat sceptical of it, mostly because of the drivers and game support.

512 EUs is approximately equivalent to AMDs 64CUs so it should end up in at least the RTX 3070 ballpark, even with conservative clocks.

All in all, I guess it all comes down to clocks. AMD can clock really high because of their Infinity Cache (at least that's what they themselves claim). If Intel somehow manages 2.1-2.2 Ghz they should be closer to 3070 Ti, if not probably more around 3070 or even 3060 Ti.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I really hope it ends up at ~3070 performance (and I guess it has to be at least that, considering 2080 Ti had the same performance in september 2018) but I'm still somewhat sceptical of it, mostly because of the drivers and game support.

512 EUs is approximately equivalent to AMDs 64CUs so it should end up in at least the RTX 3070 ballpark, even with conservative clocks.

All in all, I guess it all comes down to clocks. AMD can clock really high because of their Infinity Cache (at least that's what they themselves claim). If Intel somehow manages 2.1-2.2 Ghz they should be closer to 3070 Ti, if not probably more around 3070 or even 3060 Ti.

Perhaps in raw theoretical performance. But we also need to consider drivers. While Intel has had integrated GPU drivers for a long time, its not like they put much time into optimizing their gaming performance. Which AMD and nVidia have done a gigantic amount of work for. I actually think the single largest thing making it hard for a third party to enter the GPU world is drivers, and the gigantic number of games that need optimizing.

Reactions: Tlh97

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010

Why do you believe that the IF cache allows high clocks? ASFAIK, it allows a reduction in external bandwidth.

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Why do you believe that the IF cache allows high clocks? ASFAIK, it allows a reduction in external bandwidth.
I'll try to find the source later. But I think this because AMD themselves said it during release, that IF cache was one of the reasons they managed to increase clocks that much (obviously it's not the only thing looking at PS5)

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
I'll try to find the source later. But I think this because AMD themselves said it during release, that IF cache was one of the reasons they managed to increase clocks that much (obviously it's not the only thing looking at PS5)

It makes sense. The massive cache increases power efficiency, and does so further because it doesn't need a 384-bit memory interface like Nvidia. So you can use it for higher clocks.

Perhaps in raw theoretical performance. But we also need to consider drivers.

I don't think the problem with performance will be drivers as much as it's strength and weaknesses being different from what we're used to with AMD and Nvidia. When you have a different architecture, having similar performance curve as a different design from another company has to be a challenge. Sure, AMD is stronger in some games and Nvidia in others but still in the ballpark right?

So Intel will need to work to balance this. It might be 30% faster than the 3070 Ti in one game, but 30% behind in other. You want to reduce the gap to say 15% in both directions.

They have compatibility issues to solve such as outright crashing or not loading but having a dGPU will improve things in that regard a lot, since they will be motivated to do so and developers will actually have to pay attention to Intel GPUs. As an iGPU-only vendor there's only so much you can do and are willing to do.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Stuka87

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
So I read today the Intel GPUs have been released? How are they performing vis-vis AMD and NVIDIA?

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Ah, thanks rommelrommel (he was a great commander btw). Do you know when they are expected to be released? It is GREAT news they are getting back in, we need more players to drive prices back down to reasonable levels.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Ah, thanks rommelrommel (he was a great commander btw). Do you know when they are expected to be released? It is GREAT news they are getting back in, we need more players to drive prices back down to reasonable levels.

No ETA at all. They mentioned them in their keynote, and thats about it.

7beauties

Mar 24, 2008
I'm not worried because Intel's Raja Koduri is behind this. The pair of Radeon Vega 64s I bought, designed by him were half a year late and still trailed Nvidia's cards. Intel can have him. Good riddance, Raja.

• Haha
Reactions: lightmanek

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I'm not worried because Intel's Raja Koduri is behind this. The pair of Radeon Vega 64s I bought, designed by him were half a year late and still trailed Nvidia's cards. Intel can have him. Good riddance, Raja.

I don't think anyone's "worried". Even in a best-case scenario, nobody really expects DG2 to outperform an RTX 3070. The question is: how cheap will they be? If the price is right then at least people will have some midrange cards they can buy.

Feb 4, 2009

Hey failure enables learning.
BTW superb lurking skills.

Edit: as above, I just want a third choice.
I am a big believer in the rule of three, particularly in business. There needs to be three to have any real competition otherwise the market goes like it has.
One halo product (nvidia) = expensive
One good value product = good enough but not great (typically AMD)

**keep in mind good value in this example is more affordable than the alternative it doesn’t mean cheap

Having a third player would upend this and open more options, maybe it is two halo products, maybe it is great mid range performance, maybe it is lower prices all around.
Regardless at this point and honestly for years we have needed a third option.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
speculation:
First Gen will bomb.

Second gen will be acceptable, but forever be associated with the first gen.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
It will be more competitive in mining than gaming. Discuss.

Well since intels main goal is compute, it would kinda make sense. Plus gaming heavily relies on good drivers. Another big, big ? given intels track record.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
You can only do so much with limited resources. That I believe had something to do with why he left AMD. Hopefully Intel is giving him all that he needs for the new cards.

Reactions: ryan20fun

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
You can only do so much with limited resources. That I believe had something to do with why he left AMD. Hopefully Intel is giving him all that he needs for the new cards.

Based on how things have gone at his former employer, I doubt he was really starved for resources. It's not entirely clear what he really wanted, but whatever it was, Intel made him a better offer.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Edit: as above, I just want a third choice.
I am a big believer in the rule of three, particularly in business.n.

I want to see this too, but I'm not sure it's viable. I'm pretty sure none of the three companies want this. Also Intel is known to give up pretty easily when they can't absolutely dominate the market.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Also Intel is known to give up pretty easily when they can't absolutely dominate the market.

Ultimately those are big decisions that will involve the CEO, and different CEOs could have different outcomes, and Gelsinger seems a bit more scrappy than the last two.

Reactions: Leeea

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Plus gaming heavily relies on good drivers.

That's my main worry too. Their IGP drivers tend to be hit-and-miss with older titles. Some work, some sort of works and some get all kinds of weird bugs.

Say what you will about NV and AMD, but they do have 20+ years of experience doing drivers. Older stuff tend to just plain work.

If the price is right then at least people will have some midrange cards they can buy.

If performance and compatibility are acceptable, I'll certainly give Intels cards a try. Their media decoders especially tend to be very good.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Leeea

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
No offense but Intel has been making drivers for their GPUs for 20+ years. They just haven't focused in games (for obvious reasons). They have been putting in more effort lately though.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Imagine how much Intel could have earned if they had a video card ready in the current market.